Metro Exodus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scatman839, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Anyone else got huge fps drops in the desert on extreme ?
    The ice plains volga or something i didnt had those heavy fps drops, but in the hot place [desert] my fps goes down to 30 anyone else got the same problem ?

Playing on 1440p extreme with a msi gaming x gtx 1080 ti and a 5930k [stock]
    Changing to ultra in the desert doesnt change fps increase either just a lil bit.

cerebus23 likes this.
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    drops in general seem the norm not sure it is streaming assets in thing suspect it is but it can really tank the fps in all areas i got the game running at 60 mostly but still get frequent "hitches" as the game simply bogs out moving across areas, or going through doors and the like. not to the desert area yet though still trying to find my wife in the hoth area, was trying to figure out how to reach to poi at the factory in the east but having a hard time puzzling out how to get into the bloody thing sos i went to bed. but i was getting a lot of frezzing up there last night i was rolling around the map so much, really reminded me of oblivion and its streaming issues.

yea there even a sizeable steam thread on the good fps constant studder stuff also so a bunch of people are getting it does not seem to matter if ssd or hd also which is interesting, but something is going on with the game.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    hmm, not bad.. Those Raytraced shadows do look nice (high seems to be enough for better perf.), dlss is a fail here..

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Finally got it playable.... kind of...

The game has massive issues with resetting the graphics you set in the options menu. I suggest if you have any issues delete the games config.ini file in this location

C:\Users\**YOURNAME***\Saved Games\metro exodus\0f57c3321e0c433ab747ac6afbebfdee

Delete the config file here, and open the game, it will create a new one.

Then go into the graphics options make your changes, THEN REBOOT THE GAME!!!

Once you load back up performance should be MUCH improved.

I am running at 1440p Ultra, Hairworks On, PhysX On, Shader 1.0, Motion Blur High, DX12

The game runs between 65-130fps depending on what is being rendered, the game will butter (maybe thanks to my freesync display) but frame times are good too.

HOWEVER!!!!

I am getting complete game freezes and crashes to desktop even when using DX11 or DX12 after about 10-15 minutes the game just crashes. I am currently in the first open area and the game currently is just not playable at all thanks now to these crashes.

I do currently have the dredded Zotac AMP Extreme 1080Ti and I know its well known for poor cooling on the VRM's so maybe this game is just pushing them a little too much. I do have some new thermal pads so I will try the fix that has been posted on Gamers Nexsus to work by dropping the VRM temps by 20C using just a pad. But I don't think this is the reason tbh, no other game has this issue, nothing and the GPU is well ventilated and the GPU core only reaches 59C so I doubt the VRM's are getting that toasty.

5. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
  6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    No idea if has been stated so far but the only setting that seems to really tank performance is the shader setting. 2.0 makes the performance tank hard. The game does look better at 2.0 but performance just suffers.

3.9 all core oc on a 1700X and this 1080 @ core: 1980 and mem: 11800 have had no crashes running driver 418.81. Game bench with extreme and advanced PhysX and hairworks enabled puts average fps at 64(shader was reset to 100%). Actual in game performance is so much better. Game is only patched to 1.0.1.0 currently and have replaced the vc runtime dlls with more current versions.

EDIT: forgot...the resolution is at 1920 x 1200

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's SSAA, I can see the frame buffer resolution reporting a very different value at 1.5x and 2.0x so it's going to hit framerate really hard.
    The traditional SSAA methods are still in the ini file but unused in favor of whatever this method is doing beyond what the ones in Last Light and 2033 Redux (And Last Light Redux) did.

EDIT: So from the ini file.

This.
    r_shading_rate 1.

to this.
    r_shading_rate 1.5

And in game via SpecialK.
    [​IMG]

(Squished a bit here and there due to windowed mode.)

AsiJu likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You can probably get away with high settings just disable hairworks. Tesselation and physics does not effect the framerate that much.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    According to digital foundry it can be upwards of 20% for tessellation.

As for physx the game uses the CPU and not the GPU. GPU physx was dropped from the game ever since they released the Redux edition of both older games.

pharma likes this.
  10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have the game working perfectly now.

I was getting crashes to desktop even with DX11 or 12 after about 20 minutes of gameplay.

I didn't realise I had my voltage set to +100 in MSI AB forgot it was set to that as I was overclocking the other day and doing some benchmarks but forgot to change it back.

Changing it back to +0 and I just played the game for about an hour and no crashes at all, sticking with DX11 as it seems to give me about 5-10fps more.

I also looked in the Event Viewer and found A TON of errors related to the Nvidia drivers (using latest 418.91) pointing towards the VCRUNTIMES.

I manually uninstalled ALL my C++ Runtimes and used this installer for the latest ones.

http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/multipack_visual_c_installer.html

not too sure if this is 100% the latest versions, but its dated 14/2/2019 so its only a few days old. Hope this helps anyone else.

pharma, BangTail, AsiJu and 1 other person like this.

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    pharma and BangTail like this.
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Thanks! , but ive tried those settings and tesselation off doesnt look so good tbh. ill live with medium, it runs great so far. (though in dx11, because dx12 freezes lol). it still looks great at medium as well.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  14. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    It just works!

[​IMG]

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Well that's one way to hide Jaggies I guess........

cerebus23 likes this.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    No. On the X it defaults to dynamic 4K at 30 fps. I don't think the enhanced consoles have sufficient CPU overhead to run this game at 1080p 60 fps unfortunately.

Mr.Bigtime likes this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ray tracing coupled with DLSS (RTX) allows acceptable FPS @ 4K in a game that is ridiculously demanding and, as usual, that's not enough for some people (most of whom are not even 20xx series owners).

Obviously, these technologies are new and need work, but they are giving consumers options and I'm just not sure I understand what the problem is :rolleyes:

The fact that I can play such a demanding new title @ 4k/60FPS/Ultra/RTX (without the need for mGPU) is pretty f*cking stellar, however imperfect.

Please, remind me, does any other company give me these options, today?

The Sleeper and serbicu like this.
  18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    no, but you can have a spare 8gb vram if you buy the RVII. It'll come handy in 5 years.

BangTail likes this.
  19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Man I really hope they fix DX12 soon. I get higher performance with DX12, but the game is more janky and stuttery compared to using DX11. I think the memory management for DX12 needs to be improved in this game, then it would be perfect.

Also, the Steam version does have the day 1 patch installed. Looking at the patch notes, I verified that it does based on the fixes. It's just that the game version exe needs to be updated.

20. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    This is true higher fps in dx12 but more stutters, also for some weird reason my crashings are gone now in dx12 lol, i did verifi game game cache that probably helped.