Unreal Engine adds support for raytracing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thus far there are not many games supporting DirectX Raytracing. A new version of Unreal Engine 4 now offers support for DirectX Raytracing (DXR). Unreal Engine is a popular game development softwar...

Unreal Engine adds support for raytracing

Silva and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Oh wait, it's not RTX. So... RTX is still limited to specific titles...

3. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Awesome! Here.... we... go...

Going to be interesting to compare the performance of a UE4x DXR title to a 2080 and a Radeon VII. In general I love to see what the performance is like on DRX compared to Nvidia's solution.

Hilbert I am sure you are already planning out that review in advance and your body is already ready :)

Koniakki likes this.
  4. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Good if they release new Unreal Tournament.with DXR.
    Or better if someone will made UT2004 DXR mod.

Undying likes this.

5. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Oh boy, Hellblade with Ray Tracing would look awesome!

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    RTX should not be anywhere. Everything should use DXR and nVidia should be hooking RTX to it.

That way all (1.. few.. many?) those games will work on AMD's HW moment AMD adds DXR support.

sverek likes this.
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    RTX is two different things. RTX Gameworks are prepackaged DXR effects for easy integration in games & optimized for Nvidia's RT implementation. RTX in hardware is a number of API's & architecture changes to accelerate DXR on Nvidia hardware.

DXR in unreal engine will make use of the RT cores and BVH algorithms that Nvidia provides. The denoiser may not use tensor cores though as it seems like most devs are opting for vendor agnostic denoisers.

Fox2232, Koniakki and sverek like this.
  8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    RTX is cool and all, but personally I'd like to see Epic bake DLSS into UE4 as well.

schmidtbag likes this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    DLSS works by training an auto-encoder against tens of thousands of high resolution images from a finished title. I'm not sure how you'd put it in an engine where the final project could be anything. I guess they could have a system that allowed the engine to automatically capture the high resolution images throughout the project and export them to Nvidia's/company AI server for DLSS processing but they would have to have a way to limit that to certain devs.

vbetts likes this.
  10. ManuKey

ManuKey Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    It a new Unreal comes out, it will be a F2P / P2W like Fartnite, Epic is dead. Tencent has destroyed what was remaining from them...

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm not a big fan of Fortnite but the monitization of that game isn't bad - especially after the recent change where they let you see what's in the boxes before you buy them.

12. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    I dont care who will made it.Important is how good it will be.
    If the new UT shut be some bs then its better they dont release nothing.

13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Urm what? Epic is still private and Tencent owns nothing of Epic besides having to pay Epic the licence of the game engine for fortnight.

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    This nonsense about D3d RTX "ray tracing" (@30fps-60fps+) reminds me of the mess we had when people started calling stereoscopic rendering "3d"--and for years, it seemed, when people said "3d games" half of them were talking about stereoscopy while the other half meant rendering objects on the x,y, and z axis with polygons, no stereoscopy needed or used--the traditional definition of all "3d games." What a mess that was for awhile! Marketing is such a wonderful thing, eh? /s

15. aaronfranke

aaronfranke Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2 GB
    Too bad it's not Vulkan-based raytracing. I don't really care about a graphics API that's closed source and locked to one platform.

schmidtbag likes this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, but stereoscopic 3D rendering is so much better. All the processing brain does from those 2 slightly separate inputs is unbelievable.

I had passive 3D 32 inch TV 1080p when they 1st came. And that made it 1920x540 per eye. Yet perceived image quality was on higher level than playing flat projection of 3D game on 1920x1080. Too bad that TVs had too high input lags. Too bad that most of support (including shader fixes) came through 3rd party tools and not from drivers.

I remember having some modification to CS which enabled wii-mote and I had it in 3D too. Pretty good fun, almost VR experience.

Now, we have All that expensive VR gear which is exactly that: Stereoscopic viewing device. And where is general native support from drivers/API? Where are those companies which tried to make their living out of stereoscopic 3D?
    IIRC some made push for DX11 and OpenGL. One made code open source upon death (or something like that). But in general, people are not talking about normal games being viewed/played in Stereoscopic 3D anymore. Instead particular games get VR support or games are designed directly for VR and that's their selling point, not gameplay itself.

Petr V likes this.
  17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/unr...d-releases/1583659-unreal-engine-4-22-preview

Here is the correct(ed) patch notes for 4.22 (preview)

I like this. Not for real-time, but for the GI when baking lightmaps.

Cool.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You know RTX isn't the API right?

RTX is a feature set that provides support for the DXR api in hardware.

Any thing DXR will be RTX accelerated with nvidias drivers.

This^.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Don't count on ever getting another unreal tournament, they halted the development of the current one indefinitely, and if it never gets 'finished', then i don't see why they'd ever even try and make a new one.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not quite certain i understand what you're saying here. Private, at least, to me, means your company does not have shares, or split stakes in the company. Tencent owns 40% of EPIC, whereas Tim Sweeney owning 50% or more of the company. This is good in the sense that tencent does not have the full say, but they do have 40% of the say, and epic isn't going to tell them "no" unless they absolutely have to as they will not want to pay tencent their share of the company if they decide its no longer lucrative.

So no, tencent doesn't "own" epic, but they own enough of it to be making a decent impact on the overall functionality of epic. Now, if that's good, or bad, is up to anyones opinion to determine, but your statement of tencent only having to pay epic for licensing of the game engine for fortnite....why would tencent pay for something they effectively own by being a partial owner of the company? Not saying they aren't paying for the engine license, but i highly doubt they are, that wouldn't make logical sense, especially since, and here's the key:

Fortnite is developed by EPIC GAMES, not Tencent, and was being developed in 2011, BEFORE tencent bought 40% of Epic games.

But back to the private statement: I do understand that "specifically" epic games is not publicly traded, but your statement still implies that tencent doesn't have anything to do with epic games, which is wrong, since tencent owns 40% of epic games. By technicality, 40% of epic games is "publicly traded" in effect due to this, since tencent is publicly traded. But again and i can't stress this enough your original post implies that since "epic" is private, that tencent doesn't have anything to do with epic games.......which is wrong.

Fox2232 likes this.