Battlefield V Patch offers NVIDIA DLSS Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2019.

1. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Exactly what I expected..... the blur on DLSS is ridiculous

2. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    The performance boost is undeniable.

But image quality is worse. Blurry.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because they aren't going to do that on all games? I mean people have had 4K monitors for years now - do you really think they are all playing every single game at 4K?

4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Gonna check these updated graphs now. Thanks Hilbert. This and Metro to read up on. Love your reviews. I'll now take my lips off your ass.

5. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    that's because people are ignorant...

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Or they just want a choice to play certain games in 4K.. like how is having more options ignorant?

You buy a 2080Ti, some games will be playable at 4K at good FPS, some games won't - you now have the option to use DLSS, hopefully to get near 4K image quality with better FPS (obviously that's not panning out).

What is the issue with that? How is that ignorant?

fantaskarsef and Embra like this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I have a 2K monitor and a 4K monitor. Games that can't play in full 4K, I play on the 2K monitor.

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    mine game keeps crashing at start-up so unable to test

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I completely agree. No point in having a nice 4k monitor if you are going to degrade its display capabilities. I can do 5200x2880 in VSR--but I find it looks considerably worse than the native 3840x2160, of course--while running considerably slower, too. Yep, I fail to see how practically cutting the frame-rate in half in order to come up with demonstrably inferior image quality is worth a premium--or really much of anything, actually.

My two cents about the whole RTX thing is it's something all n00bs to 3d gaming go through--and we all went through it--most certainly I am including myself in that category. It takes time to sort the wheat from the chaff in terms of the marketing GPU makers use to to pimp and push their products into the marketplace. It's experience that is the great teacher about these things (not to leave out HH and G3d, of course!)--it's always been that way. It's an expensive way to learn and accumulate knowledge, but it is the only real way to do it, imo. Hands-on, etc. Some of a manufacturer's claims are factual and accurate--some of them run the gamut between inaccurate, exaggerated, all the way to completely false. Basically, the only real protection any of us has is ourselves--caveat emptor.

As I've consistently opined and believed since day 1 of the entire RTX debacle, the fact that nVidia refuses to ship its RTX products with any actual demonstration software, save a 2d videoclip compiled on non-RTX hardware in anything *but* "real time" says it all--that alone negates anything nVidia can say to me about this issue--speaks volumes. As a consumer, you just have to listen carefully and skeptically to grandiose claims any GPU manufacturer is making--but sometimes the marketing is so loud and crass, even false, that it drowns out common sense and good judgment, and inexperienced people may leap before they look.

I find it very amusing that JHH has been working for ten years to produce a GPU that "just works"...;) Bravo, nVidia! Glad to know you finally made a GPU that just works! But, I think on balance I'm going to have to pass on RTX. Who knows, though? In another ten years, nVidia might even be able to produce something that "just works better." I can hardly wait. *cough*...! Talk about lame, non-committal marketing, RTX takes the cake in trying to claim "revolutionary" hardware without making any claims at all aside from "it just works."...! nVidia is walking a thin line there!

Glottiz likes this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Since when does DLSS cut the framerate in half?

11. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    because people think its actual 4k = ignorance...
    even the text under the pictures guru3d posted is a misleading because its not really 4k
    also nvidia markets their overpriced 2xxx series under some "revolutionary" technology while you can probably achieve similar image quality with regular upscaling + post process aa + post process sharpening method and run it even better than dlss does while not being confined to their new cards....

Glottiz likes this.
  12. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    It's stupid because 1440p upscaled to 4K doesn't look as good as 1440p on 1440p monitor. So you are paying more for 4K monitor, playing many games upscaled, instead of saving money and buying 1440p monitor and playing all games at crisp native resolution without having to rely on dirty upscaling tricks.

13. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    I actually think FXAA might be better image quality wise (?)

14. Stefem

Stefem Active Member

GPU:
    Yea, let's forget that there is software out now, from third parties, that's an actual demonstration of raytracing and DLSS capabilities

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  15. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Of course, they both do it. If you do it the same way as DLSS - it means you will lower the resolution from 4k to FHD.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Something is off here.
    In all previous DLSS implementations, DLSS was generally better and crisper than TAA. That's why Nvidia used this in their promo material.

But not here.
    In BF5 DLSS is clearly much more blurrier than TAA. So either BF5 has excellent TAA or crappy DLSS or it's a combo.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Would be pretty embarrassing if they implemented DLSS over TAA.

18. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    That's because it was demonstrated on demonstrations that repeat themselves in a predictable way (basically the same video over and over). AI can basically memorize this and predict where pixels need to be. However, actual gameplay isn't the same everytime, which results in a lot more guesswork/errors from the AI implementation.
    I have a feeling actual gameplay will always be blurrier than native.

19. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Yes, it was obvious. FF had a horrible TAA implementation, a great target to push DLSS. This shows DLSS in its true colors vs a proper AA implementation
    DLSS is pretty good but because Nvidia wants to say its superior DLSS upscales the image based on the algorithm.
    obviously native 4K will look better than 1440P upscaled, no matter how well the AI does.....

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Not sure if that's even possible considering that TAA is a temporal technique, and DLSS is trained AA.

Maybe TAA over DLSS...