Review: Metro Exodus: PC graphics performance analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, you need RTX 2070 to achieve average of 60fps on 1080p maxed. 99th percentile will be around 44~48fps.

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Why not?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You'll probably lose a few FPS here and there but like I said, the game is GPU bottlenecked. Use DX12 to get the best mileage out of your CPU. Remember: DX12 and Vulkan are designed to reduce CPU overhead. If you look at the graphs comparing DX12 to DX11, you'll see there's no performance difference, suggesting the CPU he's using isn't working very hard, or at least not at full capacity, and that was comparing a much better GPU than what you have. Yours will obviously be working harder than a 9900K, but yours is clocked pretty high so I suspect you won't get any major loss in performance.

Anyway, yes, you will probably need to make some sacrifices, but I'm pretty sure you could average above 30FPS with AA off. Maybe just kill a few background processes, just in case.

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    So it's just DX11 emulated on DX12, with no support for more than 4 cores and poop performance for GPUs.
    I really liked the first Metro games but this is disappointing.

Great review HH.

tensai28 and Serotonin like this.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Runs exactly the same in Dx12 as it does in 11 then :p

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Brand new 2080TI doesn't get 60fps@4k....brand new card...smh. I assume lazy coding. The game doesn't look nearly as good as the performance would suggest. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Metro was never a game you could max out when released.

Talk about an uphill battle from the epic crap to performance to ray tracing which I find hard to notice and poor to perform. I appreciate the review. Very surprised by the results.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It's like they know they were lazy, so now they can blame the PC community for their probable failure in sales with this title. Last week set that up nicely.

Silva likes this.
  8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Now we know why they ran away from the steam reviews with tails between their legs.

Silva likes this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The first metro games couldn't even hit 60fps at 1080p with the top of the line cards for the time. I feel like poor performance and Metro are synonymous.

Silva likes this.
  10. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    Cant see much difference between RTX on and off.Bad implanting of Raytracing.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Maddness, AsiJu and Undying like this.
  12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Now those pictures are wow.

Undying likes this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    To be fair I think a lot of it could be replicated with traditional AO effects. The advantage with RT (and the entire point behind Jen's "It just works" is that simply turning DXR/RTX on should give you a fairly realistic result without having to tweak objects, move lights around, fix weird z-culling issues, create all those other edge-case scenario effects in engine, etc.

Maddness and Silva like this.
  14. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Metro series is there for only one thing... To make you buy top GPUs, and make some companies more happy. Thats all. How fast you all forgot 1st metro release? I am out of here... Tired of this.

Silva likes this.
  15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    980Ti is performing surprisingly modestly in my opinion. It's trading blows with 590.

It's kind of strange the RTX is supposed to be an entirely separate section of the GPU die, meaning in RTX OFF, all those transistors will do absolutely nothing. Yet when you turn RTX ON, it still has a major impact on fps. Honestly, that sounds more like a software implementation, not hardware. If it's dedicated hardware, shouldn't it only have like a 5% max impact? Right now the huge fps drop must mean that the rest of the GPU is actually waiting for the RTX to finish its work, every frame, dropping the overall framerate insufferably. That's just stupid. The RTX should only do as much work as it can in the time granted by the traditional part of the GPU (plus any v-sync option possibly granting extra time).

Silva likes this.

16. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Well, let me know when it reaches a Price tag of 5,99 and is available on Steam!:confused:

On the other Hand, RTX ON/OFF is not worth the Trouble with nvidia! Maybe you have time to admire that small "eye candy" in a rpg or a strategy game. In a 3D shooter you need to stay sharp on where the bullet is comming from instead of stearing at the water or the floor to see a reflexion more shiny or not!

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Well, of course, that's the whole point of ray tracing, it lets the light do its natural thing, unlike traditional emulated engines and their slew of fancy fake effects.

Silva likes this.
  18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    NOT ME!

I remember full well running first Metro at maxed settings (sans MSAA) with my new GTX 460 Hawk Talon Attack (most luxuries, highest clocked GTX 460 :D) on my new 1080p monitor.
    pure smooth...

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not a separate section of the GPU die. RT "cores" reside in the SM and they're only useful at accelerating BVH traversal.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yup, the indoor differences are quite noticeable. Ray-tracing might actually be worth it for Metro Exodus, although the performance hit is still quite high. DLSS results are about the same as BF V though.

The high requirements remind me of the good ol' days of PC gaming, when games like Crysis brought even high-end systems to their knees. To be frank, I was never a fan of games being watered down (aka "optimized") to the point where they could be played on a toaster (a la Crysis 2). Glad to see that 4A didn't do this with ME.

Maddness and sammarbella like this.