Back to team green after 6 months with red ... 1070 GTX overclocking problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bernek, Feb 11, 2019.

1. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    The card is Gigabyte 1070GTX 8GB rev.2 Windforce OC (maybe I got some mistakes in the force and wind but this is it).

Memory is Micron :( ... sad face because it doesn't want to OC (memory) close to nothing ... anything above +200 MHz in Afterburner (+100 effective that is) I get artifacts ... I tried the new "OC Scanner" and it doesnt overclock the memory only the GPU ... I got there 150-200 MHz extra across the frequency range pretty happy with that !

I've read about a bug with memory voltages for these cards especially Micron issues ... but at least a +200 (effective clock for memory) should be expected ... what am I doing wrong ?! I've had an 1060 GTX 6GB and memory was easily overclockable to +400 MHz in AF meaning 200 effective.

[​IMG]

HARDRESET likes this.
  2. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Welcome aboard!

bernek likes this.
  3. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I maxed the voltage and power target and did a custom curve using MSI Afterburner so basically I can't change memory timmings or overvolt memory ?

Can I write a different bios from a better card maybe memory gets some more voltage ?

Either way the card performs quite a lot better compared to RX580 8GB ... I smell a 30% increase sometimes maybe more... happy with it because I got it cheap and helps me with 2K res that I play on ... with RX580 I struggled at medium settings majority of titles and with this 1070 overclocked (as much as I could) I can get high settings maybe some ultra here and there at 2K pretty amazing for me !

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    +200 in Afterburner is +400mhz effective. So +100 in Afterburner, would be +200mhz effective.

bernek likes this.

5. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
  6. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    My bad but still not happy with Micron or its overclock capabilities. On the GPU side I'm happy but not memory ... does this Pascal need more memory bandwidth badly ? or I'm just hunting something that is not needed (gaming wise).

7. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    The why the hell I'm trying to overclock the vram ... I will just leave it be and be happy with the GPU clock increase (curve) from Afterburner and game more play with settings less.

8. ngoni615

ngoni615 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    sadly pascal scales very well with memory overclocks than with core clocks. so you do need that memory overclock. Try to overclock manually and not use OC scanner.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    With my GTX1070, I can OC the memory very high, but I've found if I go past a certain point, I lose performance. I find +300 on the memory to be a sweet spot.

10. ngoni615

ngoni615 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    Hence why i mentioned overclocking the memory manually. oc scanner just works with core which does not add much to gaming..... You will benefit much more from a memory oc.

11. ngoni615

ngoni615 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    Then you do not know much about the 10 series right? for benchmarks you will gain much more with a memory clock. even in games. The 9 series and below benefited from a core clock. Not 10 series due to gpu boost 3