Violent games tax... here we go again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by tsunami231, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    It's legislation by dinosaurs.

fantaskarsef and DocStrangelove like this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    EXACTLY!

It's that ridiculous.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I honestly think they already tried but they could never find way to do it. not with out having everything person chiped at birth that monitors that, and they cant do that yet....

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I agree totally with him, look how many people were killed by video game boxes and game DVD cases last year alone, never mind the amount of people injured by digital game codes. lol

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Prayers and Thoughts..

Noisiv likes this.
  6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I wonder why so many ppl died in 2 worldwars - without any computer games around.... :rolleyes:

Valken and airbud7 like this.
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can't bring facts into such an argument..... Facts don't support the idea that violent games cause all violence. Therefore, facts are not allowed.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Tax stupidity, please!

9. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    No my friend. It's people like you who want to take away the constitutional rights of others by banning one of the most popular class of rifle in the country because of the actions of a few nutcases, are the ones who drive gun sales. The NRA from its inception has been there to protect our right of self defense and to ensure the people would never fall victim to a tyrannical government who would aim to disarm them. The 1994 assault weapons ban proved that legislating away such weapons would have zero effect on gun violence because it's not the gun that's the problem. Keep in mind that the only reason the 1st amendment exists today is due of the 2nd amendment. The best way to defend the rights of the people is an armed populace. Just look at the last 120 years and every instance where a government murdered millions of their own people, the first thing they did was take away their ability to defend themselves. The relative peace everyone here is experiencing is not the norm, and history proves that. Anyone who thinks it can't happen again is delusional.

RzrTrek, airbud7 and sverek like this.
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Good luck fighting USA army with your AR-15 :D
    I bet all the attachments you got on it will give you the needed leverage on the battlefield!

airbud7 likes this.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]

we've had guns everywhere since I was born and nobody shot anybody...

my uncle did shoot his toes off when I was a kid though.

the fact that every household is armed will make the potential perpetrator of a bad deed think twice...
    nuff said on that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    RzrTrek likes this.
  12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Aren't those the same thing? :confused:

13. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    First it was cinema, then radio, then video - now it's computer games and the internet in general. Ppl will always fear things they don't fully understand.

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Is this what the supporters of the 2nd amendment actually believe because if it is it says an awful lot about how disturbed the US government is that the citizens have to arm themselves to stop the government from oppressing them as well as saying a lot about the dellusional state of the individuals if you really believe that your personnel firearm is going to seriously stop a heavily armed, well organised military.

Back to the more specific topic. I wrote about this in a final year essay when I was back in high school, this was back when this ludicrous concept of violence in video games being linked to violence in gamers was first starting to gain traction in certain circles of government and media spin merchants looking for the next big hot button issue to get behind and scream 'think of the children'. It was an utterly ludicrous statement 23 YEARS AGO and one that has jumped in and out of media attention on and off for around 15 odd years before finally being debunked and being ignored. The fact that some idiot politician is scrapping the now near empty jar of this marmite topic, in this day, 2019 for god sake, when it has been scientifically proven to be a falsehood is frankly amazing. To then propose that the resolution is to add a tax is just laughable, I mean I could pat the guy on the back if he came straight out and said we want to raise some cash and guess what video games, specifically violent ones are going to be the bitch of choice to ride the money train on but seriously when has taxing a product EVER resulted in a long term resolution to the underlying associated 'problems'? Fuel Tax, Car Tax, Road Tax, Cigarette Tax, Alcohol Tax, sugar Tax, Fat Tax have any of these actually resulted in a marked and significant reduction in their associated uses? No the only thing that changes peoples habits is not to charge more money but to educated and introduce long term social and attitudinal changes to the issues at hand, or in the some cases the movement of technology to better alternatives. Charging more cash has never done anything... well other than just make more money for the government until they can find the next moronic hot button issue to try and bleed for every penny they can get.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Apparently he missed the more recent message of the NRA....which seems to be that gun violence can only end if more people own guns, which has been proven unequivocally false. I find it rather sad that people in the US are more concerned with their right to own guns, than their right to freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, right to assemble, etc.... Those are the rights that are actually under direct attack by those currently running the country....

Every time they attempt to tax 1 problem out of existence, they start looking for other problems to address in the same manor. Of course, when so many in control fail to understand science or refuse to accept results of valid studies, we end up with stupidity run rampant. In this case, every valid study I've see has concluded that people use violent video games to relieve stress, anger, frustration and built up tension. To me, this would seem to be a good thing. At least much better than those people going out and committing violent acts anyway.... Me, personally, I just put on some Mozart or Beethoven and I'm good. Everyone needs a way to relieve stress, anger, frustration and built up tension. Maybe what we really need is a day where everyone is forced to play video games.... Might make the world a happier place.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The irony of the usual suspects blaming their usual boogieman while oblivious to WHO originally proposed this.
    Lawmakers from Pennsylvania have put forth a bill that proposes a 10% excise tax on violent video games. House Bill 109 seeks to impose the so-called "sin tax" on games sold at retail that are rated by the ESRB as M for Mature or Adults-Only. The money would go into a fund called the "Digital Protection for School Safety Account" that aims to enhance security measures at schools in the wake of the school shootings in Parkland, Florida and Newtown, Connecticut.
    State representative Chris Quinn, a republican, initially put forth the bill in 2018, but it never made it out of committee during the 2018 legislative session. The new version is similarly worded.
    Now I realize this is not supposed to be a political thread, but as I said, the usual suspects, doing the usual. So kids, this wasn't an 'ebil wibberal' idea. Sorry...you'll have to wait for instructions from RNC Central for the next faux outrage. As far as the idea, I've read studies coming down on both sides. More or less a wash. So I'd say no to this particular idea. They should pay more attention keeping weapons out of the hands of weak minds. Those are my thoughts.

yasamoka likes this.
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Politician 1....We need more Revenue....
    Politician 2....Hey, let's tax video games!.....
    Politician 3.....Great idea! send them the bill....

instant money legally.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is why we can't have anything nice here. Nice job listening to rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.