DLSS on Battlefield 5 tomorrow 12th February

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Deleted member 255716, Feb 11, 2019.

1. DICE has revealed the full patch release notes for Battlefield 5’s February 12th update.
    According to the release notes, this update will fix numerous netcode issues and will include further optimizations to DXR ray tracing performance and will introduce NVIDIA DLSS to Battlefield V, which uses deep learning to improve game performance while maintaining visual quality.

http://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/dice...2_Lightning_Strikes_Update_12022019_FINAL.pdf

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Bye bye RVII's performance advantage. Ouch.

Improved DXR ray tracing performance will be nice too, with DLSS this should make quite a big difference.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There are like a million articles posted a day that don't get posted here - why do you think he's ignoring this specific one?

Arguable. DLSS in FFXV looked pretty average and introduced all kinds of weird visual artifacts. Hopefully it's better here but I'm not holding my breath.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    And hello image quality degradation. Hah.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    quite the opposite.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How is it the opposite when you haven't seen it in BF5 and the only game we've seen it in, it introduces a bunch of weird issues with?

Undying likes this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If you had 90fps in some repeatable place before (Spawn of test range), you can go there and increase internal render resolution till you have same 90fps again.

And at that point, you have better IQ at same fps than w/o DLSS. (Hopefully.)

Undying likes this.
  8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Have you seen it in BFV?

From what we know, it has some niggles, shimmering is one. If it's too pronounced, I won't be using DLSS. But it has some pros, with producing a sharper image than TAA. It's early days for DLSS, things may start out rough, we'll have to wait and see.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    From what i saw in DF test it degraded the imagine quality. All the sings on the car licence plates ware blurry using DLSS while TAA was sharp. Also goes for the wires/ropes/fences ware invisible if you are to far away from it, weird like you said.

Also that indoor scene with trader DLSS was a mess. Everything behind him was a blurry mess where again TAA was much sharper.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Haven't ignored anything, I am just now reading this? Why do some of you guys automatically assume the negative

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Why do you assume DLSS as a degrade out of the box? So DirectML, the hope of AMD is the omen? The perfection? The greatness? I find DLSS great, better than stuttering combined with low fps and inferior AA.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    As already stated in the thread, the only example we have of DLSS is not great - arguably makes image quality worse and introduces a bunch of weird artifacts. That's not to say it will be bad here but taking the default stance of "quite the opposite of degrade" is kind of weird.

No one even mentioned DirectML in here and honestly no - any implementation on DirectML will have the same challenges, probably more considering AMD can't seem to get any of their technologies into more than a few games and I doubt AMD is going to pay to do the training like Nvidia is.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Nice, finally will see some real dynamic comparison with an engine that can do other AA techniques properly.
    still the time it takes for DLSS implementation seems way too long

That's not how AI works.
    There's the training part which requires massive computation and memory (rerunning the algorithms again and again changing massive amount of weights)
    and there's the inferencing which is a compressed, summarized algorithm which uses a lot less memory and compute

meaning, the algorithm is a finished product once Nvidia has shipped it. it doesn't continue to learn on your machine

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2019
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Read text I wrote. Comprehend. Reiterate if you came to same conclusion as in your post above.

15. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    pretty obvious it was sarcastic
    just wanted to clarify,I'm not a sarcastic guy myself....

16. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It'll be interesting to see if textures will take a hit with this too, I'm guessing they will.

17. Aaron123

Aaron123 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070
    Yet, they still dont have an option to turn off TAA....

18. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Not true. The algorithm can continue to be refined on the server and either updated in future drivers or shipped down to GFE if there are any DLSS updates.

19. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I have been looking forward to this feature DLSS and RT in battlefield V hopefully 1440p goodness with my RTX2080

Maddness likes this.