8k(4320p) test with Radeon VII, for those who are interested.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by A M D BugBear, Feb 9, 2019.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Have a look:

OnnA, Skinner, WhiteLightning and 2 others like this.
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I want to see a 2080/Ti at the same resolution + CFX and SLI if possible. So far so good actually... it gives me hope 8K capable GPU will be ready when 8K goes into its 2nd or 3rd year of actual mainstream adaptation.

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Take a look at this:

And:

Very interesting how the hbm2 memory works, in re2, radeon VII uses less then 5gb lol, in the titan RTX case, using almost 19gb, jeezus, I can understand higher setting but come on at 8k, wow, way to go for hbm2. If this is the case how hbm2 memory works then I think 16gb is way overkill, I think 8-12gb is more then enough based from what I have seen.

On the second video, The 2080ti one(NOT the titan rtx) I told the uploader to increase his system ram more then report back, he is way out of vram, and using the system ram as buffer, and he basically used all his 32gb of main system ram, Told him to increase it to 40-64gb then report back, it will help tremendously, how do I know, I personally tested 8k(4800p) Max settings with many games and yet to have fps like the video shown on the second url.

Another interesting thing about out of vram thingy is this:

Take a good look at the 2080ti video on the second video, right portion, he is way out and yet look at the system ram, all out, now take a good look on the left portion on the video, the titan rtx is using close to 19gb of vram but look closely at the system ram, low 8gb range.

I am looking how much system ram needs to be using once out of vram.

Close to 19gb of vram on the titan rtx, 11gb on the 2080ti.

8gb system ram on the titan rtx, over 30gb+ system ram on the 2080ti, so this means 8gb+ more vram is needed for this game and in turn, you will need more then 4 times of system ram from what this video is showing. OUCH, this is what happens once your out of vram, tremendous amounts of system ram is needed as a buffer to keep up with it.

Actually to tell you all the truth, ALL the games I personally tested with 8k(4800p) ran very well, never never like the second video shown, on the 2080ti running that slow, never, out of system ram, that's the reason or a particular setting is causing it(can be an issue for certain games especially running dual cards or more(9xx series,etc). I never had an issue running 8k with all games I tested with my 2 1080ti's, All ran Extremely well.

My main system ram is 64gb, more then enough for 8k tests. I think the most I seen is dark souls III at 8k(4800p) max settings Except for one particular settings cause the game was showing tremendous unstability but ran very very well and vram was out and my system ram was like over 40gb of main ram, ouch, but yes ran very well, using 2 1080ti(Constant 2025mhz on gpu) with xoc bios with absolutely no throttling down whatsoever. And yes even now, the 1080ti is no joke, still a beast of a card.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    OnnA, Skinner, Valken and 2 others like this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The battlefield 5 footage looks awesome!

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Gets to show that RAW pixel power is there... just not accessible through other limitations on lower resolutions.

7. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I think the GPU RAM usage is showing total mirrored RAM for each GPU correct? So it should be half or ~ 9 GB in use for each GPU with Alternate Frames.

The 2080 Ti looks like broken or no SLI support. Any 2080/Ti SLI owner should be mad as hell that Nvidia even markets them the NVLINK or has the connector on the GPU which would not supported. Thats like bait and switch...

It makes the Vega 7 look awesome compared to 2080 TI SLI at 8K. Looking forward to Vega 7 64 or Navi.

Kudos to Titans for getting the proper SLI/mGPU support but that is expected at nearly 5080 USD!!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    100% agree, looking really foward to the navi, always been.

Also and sorry for the off topic here, does anyone knows for if the titan rtx vram stacks or no?? Let me guess, no correct?

I am still very much interested in this card, but drivers need to mature and no oc at this point, in time yes, looking foward to the aio version of this card.

I don't care who says what, if you can get at least 30 fps min at 8k, its a very very stinkin' fast card, I mean the fact its even playable at all is incredible to say at least.

Through out many games I tested at 8k(4800p) with my 2 1080ti's, 8k Is a totally different animal compared to 4k(2400p)

To give it into perspective, all of these resolutions are in 16:10 aspect ratio:

1920x1200 = 2,304,000 Pixles

2560x1600 = 4,096,000 Pixels

3840x2400 = 9,216,000 Pixels

7680x4800 = 36,864,000 Pixels

So going to 4k to 8k = 4 times the pixels on screen, and 16 times the amount of pixels of 1200p, so take this into consideration.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Valken and Undying like this.
  9. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    Radeon VII no longer does crossfire...as such

The sum of the changes results in, AMD says, a 29 per cent performance uptick over Radeon RX Vega 64. On an unrelated note, Radeon VII supports multi-GPU in DX12 and Vulkan through specific game implementation by the developer, meaning traditional CrossFire is no longer supported.

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/126752-amd-radeon-vii/

I got that from there and various other reviews I have looked at but if the dev does it in vulkan dx12 then it will do multigpu

not a bad thing in my mind as for the results I have noticed the ram thing with the vega 64 and the old furyx as well nto using as much but saying that I got my daughter to run apex legends 4k maxed out sans AA(really do not see the point of AA at 4K) and the ram usage reported by amd link was on average 7200 meg if I turned on AA I,m sure that would have jumped.

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Trust me, Even at 8k, some games need AA BAD, some games @ 4k, games overall image quality looks like utter $hit WITHOUT AA...

Some games I personally tested @ 8k(4800p) w/nvidia inspector 1x2ss, and even then the overall image quality isn't perfect, almost but not quite.

But yes, every game is going to be different, some games need more aa then others, some needs it REAL, and I mean REAL bad, even at 4k, trust me, they need them desperately.

I don't really play games that much, I do TONS of performance testing, Compare certain image qualities,etc.

Have pretty much well trained eyes since this is what I love to do. Test certain image settings,etc,etc.

LOL, like my father said: Your eyes are so good that you can detect a crack on mars.

Also I am very hyper sensitive to light = Blind squirrel finds 2 nuts instead of one.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Which games, because none that I play do?

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Is your actual display resolution 1920x1200?

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here:

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    1600p

15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    the thing that strikes you right away is the terrible audio. Onboard?

Why do people invest heavily into hardware and then neglect audio?

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Well I was using the usb xi-fi go pro then it went bad.

Next I just tried the onboard audio to see if it sounds alright cause never used it, to tell you the truth, they both sound equally as good.

I had some bad experience in the past with the sound blaster card not detecting properly and other problems, many people had same problems too, I don't know now cause I haven't used one in awhile but I am pretty happy how this one sounds, got sound system connected to it, actually it sounds pretty decent, absolutely no complaints.

Sounds clean, and also got eq if I need to use it, using like the latest drivers, I think around jan of 2019, so pretty much up to date.

Believe me, I thought the same when I said to myself about onboard audio, I always dismissed it went something else, but this time around gave it a shot, been using it for quite sometime, sounds good to tell you the truth, Not really an audiophile, was back when I was doing car stereo YEARS ago but not into that now.

Plus I don't really play game much, I do alot of bench testing and other things.

Now testing a quad setup of the 9xx series, something I always wanted to do, so far so good, overall pretty good experience, just have to keep the temps under control, other then that, works good overall, alot of tweaking and find tuning within nvidia inspector.

Again just testing it to see how it will perform, got them for cheap, I have done tri-setup in the past with ati cards but never a quad setup, so far so good.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Maybe I'm just spoilt but the audio stood out to me right away as being pretty bad.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    So how come you can tell whether AA @ 8K is needed or not? You're referring to 8K downsampled to 1600p. No matter what you do, due to the very nature of the resolution you are downsampling to, AA will be required (in other words - jaggies will be present). I think the other member in here was referring to native 8K not needing any AA.

19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Well some Games Like Deus Ex: mankind divided is one, ME: Andromeda is another, dark souls II, dark souls III, Castlevania LOS to name a few desperately needs them..

TAA helps out alot like in ME: andromeda, and the fps cost is nothing, so its worth using them..

Another games such as Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the AA is shut off completely if SLI is being used, same goes for star citizen(Overall image quality is terrible with no aa at 4k, man your not kiddin')

But when using just one card, both star citizen and Deus Ex: Mankind divided AA works perfectly and looks a HELL of alot better.

There is one particular game that if you used max aa in the game with Very very low res, like 720p, the overall AA quality is ultra sharp, I couldn't believe it myself: Lost planet: Extreme conditions.

Another one that looks ultra sharp is Unreal I(using dx9 api).

Another one that looks very impressive without aa is: The Witcher 3

Other games like F1 2014, battlefield 1, rise of tomb raider doesn't looks to bad without aa, but could use taa to help with the shimmering on the bushes,trees,etc.

Ryse: son of rome actually looks kinda decent without AA.

This is just naming a few games.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    This is just my own personal testing.

Also I know this is not related to this but I did one testing with my old 1920X1200 monitor and used custom resolution to 2560X1600 res, then I observed again with my 1600p native monitor, Since I got pretty good eyes, I saw absolutely no difference whatsoever.

But yes, never tried doing native 8k so I can not quote but looking into one in the future.

Actually was looking it a native 4k monitor, But very highly interested in a 8k. defin't picking one up in the future.