AOC CQ32G1 Curved Monitor: 31.5 Inch, 144 Hz, FreeSync, Sub $400

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky likes this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i feel so ripped off right now...have the 34" agon g-sync....
    nice monitor...but i could've bought an rtx 2070 with the price difference

3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    ok for the price looking like a dream ..... why i keep thinking where is the catch ? :p spec wise sounds awesome !

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, these are VA panels, which are great for contrast & colour, but they are slow in comparison to TN panels. I think I read a detailed professional review of a high refresh rate VA panel and they have more smearing/ghosting than high refresh rate TN panels, and I think the input lag is a bit higher too (not sure about that last point, vague recollection). So, I think that's why it says in the article that they're aimed at casual gamers rather than more competetive gamers. I think TN panels are still the best for least input lag and least ghosting (ie clear image while moving). I do wish my TN panel had better contrast, colours are pretty good on mine though at 100% sRGB. I also read a review recently about a really good TN panel that had fantastic contrast, while still being a 144Hz panel, so that would be the best of both worlds - they're quite rare though.

EDIT: just found this article that's related to our comments, haven't read it yet, reading it now:
    https://www.techspot.com/article/1788-display-tech-compared/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Venix and Maddness like this.

5. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    If it will have 30-144Hz Freesync range like my current AOC Ago models, then it will sell. If not... there are better options.

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I really do wish there were a lot more Freesync IPS screens. The majority high hertz screens tend to be VA or TN. Although all screens have there draw backs, I still prefer IPS.

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    IPS has greater input lag than TN too. That's probably one reason why TN and high refresh rate have been matched together more than any other type, but also due to cost to perhaps.

EDIT: just found this article that's related to our comments, haven't read it yet, reading it now:
    https://www.techspot.com/article/1788-display-tech-compared/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  8. zbaic

zbaic Active Member

which make/model it was (this TN panel with fantastic contrast) - any links?

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Robbo9999 honestly i played on few ips monitors already and even more tn monitors i am not a competitive gamer ...for a decade now or so , i do not play cs:go etc ...so even 10ms diference on input lag i will not be able to tell ! my experience in VA was that it was ghosting on dark scenes and small brighter spots (( like stars on the space )) and i was able directly to tell since i was playing space minecraft (avorion) something i did not notice on either ips or tn panels

Robbo9999 and Maddness like this.
  10. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    yes you're right. IPS has more lag and glow. VA has motion trailing issues and banding. TN has bad color and grey blacks. There's simply no such thing as the perfect monitor.

Robbo9999 likes this.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Is the colour reproduction on VAs no longer crap? The pseudo-HDR FreeSync 2 certified panels I see are VAs.

I haven't taken a good look at any modern VA in real life in an eternity, are the black levels really that noticeably better than IPSes?

Anyway, I'm waiting for some real non-BS HDR 144Hz+ monitor to be released at a reasonable price. It's probably 5+ years away.

Maddness likes this.
  12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    VA is great for TV and in some ways for gaming. It really comes down to what you want to do on your PC. A lot of people buy TN panels and drag the "vibrance" slider too far to the right and overdo contrast and brightness on their monitors because it looks "right" to them.

IPS is the most accurate panel. Period. For colour sensitive work, for photo work, prints etc, it's the only option. But, then you'll still have to calibrate it to get the correct results. And if you never had your monitor HW calibrated, I can tell you right now, that what you think looks great is miles from what a 2.2 gamma, 6500k, 80-120cd/m2 calibrated monitor looks like. I'm pretty sure you'd hate a monitor calibrated to those values from the off. But the human brain is a beautiful thing and it adjusts. And you'll learn to realise that what you thought looked terrible at first looks great after a couple of days and you would never go back.

At the end of the day, it's in the eye of the beholder (what a game that was btw). I will always advise to calibrate monitors. If for nothing else, to give people perspective on something different. Some might hate a monitor calibrated for prints, that's fine.

To answer your question about VA vs IPS when it comes to contrast, yes VA has more contrast. In some cases almost 10x the contrast of an IPS panel. Is that something that is accurate? No.

But to many it looks great, so why not.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I just checked AMD ,they list 212 IPS free sync monitors.Great list and sortable.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

Maddness likes this.
  14. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yeah sorry. I should have been more clear. My fault. I was meaning more 100hz plus. 27" 1440 IPS screens. Not really interested in 75hz. There aren't very many of those are all

15. EasternUNO

EasternUNO Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900 XT
    The best choice. I had 27" 1440p 144Hz TN panel, then I switched to 28" 4K 60 Hz TN, then 24" 1080p 144Hz TN (all of them with G-Sync) and now I have 34" 100Hz VA panel and it's enough for all kind of the games even for Quake Champions / DOOM. 100 Hz is amazing for gaming!

tunejunky likes this.

16. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    The input lag issue on TNvsIPSvsVA isn't really an issue. Most gamers have a reaction time of around 200ms. Adding on ping @ 50ms and other factors makes the TN@1ms vs IPS@4ms numerically irrelevant.

17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I had a look just now to see if I could find it. I can't find it. I looked on all the tech sites I use regularly (Toms Hardware, HardOCP, GamersNexus, Hardware Canucks, PcPer, and even tried to google it briefly), but couldn't find the panel I was talking about. I'm quite sure I've seen it because the main astounding point was that it was a fast TN panel but it had great contrast, that is the kind of thing that interests me & sticks in my mind, it might require some more googling but I'm not in the market to buy another monitor so I can't dedicate anymore time to searching right now.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    But what do you mean when you say it's not accurate? Just simply displaying the wrong colours, or incapable of displaying the colours needed as well?

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Mainly displaying the song colour. Also contrast, brightness, gamma.

20. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Screen prices in general are bouncing all over the place atm, my Acer 27" 1440p which i bought second hand with a small issue for £110 died recently and now im using an 18" Samsung sync master until i can find a reasonably priced 27" 1440p or 24" 1ms(ideally 1440p), as much as i liked my Acer b276hul i cannot justify paying 3-400 pound for a small screen.