RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

BlackZero likes this.
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Here's my new graphics card, boys and girls!

Fully reference/Samsung HBM/C3 revision

Top view
    [​IMG]
    Back plate
    [​IMG]
    Close up
    [​IMG]

Did some quick tests with every setting left at stock bios defaults.

3DMark Firestrike Ultra
    [​IMG]
    3DMark Firestrike Extreme Stress Test
    [​IMG]

So far, my observations are that it is much quieter than I was expecting, according to some it could be due to it being a C3 revision? Still don't have a clue about much of the details on revisions/models etc.

I do have a full tower case with 360 mm + 240 mm custom water cooling radiators and 10 fans in total, so my noise perception may be different to people with other case configurations. Having said that, I do have ultra low noise fans that I keep set to lowish RPM using a manual fan controller, so the card staying at current noise levels is a huge plus for me.

Now, I do have one question, for some reason when I start a stressful 3D application, the GPU fan gets loud for a short while before becoming quiet again? It's very strange because it's almost like it gets quieter as it gets hotter, to a maximum temperature of 75c, and then stays at that relatively quiet noise level after that.

p.s.
    Idle temperature is around 25c.

p.p.s.
    Fan behaviour can be seen here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2019
    apple020997, Elder III, OnnA and 3 others like this.
  3. kondziowy

kondziowy Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    :D the only gigabyte version worth buying btw

And some interesting HBCC testing by computerbase https://www.computerbase.de/2019-02...8-gb-vs-16-gb-3840-2160-bild-streaming-extrem
    Huuuuge benefit from HBCC allowing Vega64 to surpass RTX2080 in Wolfenstein 2 when more than 8GB Vram is needed.
    And when there is no need for more than 8GB - frametimes actually are better without HBCC. Or it's just CallOfDuty being weird, I never played this game. Very interesting.

It would be very interesting to see GTX1080 also but we can't have everything, such is life :p

OnnA and BlackZero like this.
  4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

This should explain the strange fan behaviour I was talking about (added to original post).
    [​IMG]

Thanks! :p

Although, going by this video, I think reference versions are the best ones to buy any way.

p.s.
    *runs for cover*

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2019

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Gratz man you finaly upgraded. I would so want to get one myself and play with Vega but i really want to wait for Navi.

BlackZero likes this.
  6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Cheers, dude. :)

Well, I did hold out for a long time, so got every last bit of performance out of my 290x. :D

There's still plenty of life left in that RX 580, so I would do the same and try to wait it out till Navi. :)

Undying likes this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    [​IMG]

BlackZero likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If vega64 is that close to 1080ti in D2 then RVII will probably beat the 2080. They need to get one for their testing.

BlackZero likes this.
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    LiQuiD is very good GPU.
    Can be blazing fast or Good Power tW performer (Both scenarios need UV + HBM2 OC up to min. 1100MHz)

Mine can do 1743MHz (Boost set to 1762MHz) at 1.137v (not surpasing rated by BIOS 264tW)

Undying likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

11. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    So, I've been messing around with my Pulse56 for the last week or so, and I can (re)confirm that HBM oc is far more important and effective than core oc.

Anyway, I "need" to go over 960MHz (Samsung chips), but since there is no mem voltage control on this card, I guess I have to flash a V64 BIOS (either a Nitro+ or a XFX-nanoPCB).

Does the SoftPowerTeblereg help in any way, combined with the OverdriveNTool? I've been using the latter for a while now (really helpful), and if it could bypass the "hard" voltage control, it would be really great.

TY.

12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Unfortunately no.

While you can set memory voltage in a softpowerplay table it will be completely ignored by the software, the only way to change the actual memory voltage is with a BIOS mod.

I'd say that softpowerplay is pointless overall now, as you can set power state voltages directly in WattMan with the newer drivers.

13. apple020997

apple020997 Active Member

GPU:
    7900XT 20GB+WB
    Yes, flash the closest Vega 64 BIOS, in your case the XFX Vega 64 Double Edition. Then enjoy 1100MHz HBM2 speeds, if your card is lucky!
    By the way, your 56 has samsung HBM2, so it’s already a lucky one!

14. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Thank you both.

I'm a bad day at work away from doing it (so probably on Monday morning, after a very bad Sunday tommorow), and also strapping an ACIV that I have lying around to see where this will get me.

apple020997 likes this.
  15. SergeyDM10

SergeyDM10 Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD 2500
    Hi, guys. I've got a 3D monitor Samsung S27A750D, which was tooled for 3D perfomance in conjunction with AMD HD3D technology.
    Right now I'm watching for a new GPU. My interests are games (not 3D games) and 3D movies.
    Does anyone know is HD3D technology still included in recent GPUs from AMD?
    I can't find any mention about it on their site.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    BlackZero likes this.
  17. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Thats 1080ti Numbers there,

I think it all depends one how good your cooling is, My rx 480 has rx590 numbers on the 16k mark :)

apple020997 and OnnA like this.
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    apple020997 likes this.
  19. apple020997

apple020997 Active Member

GPU:
    7900XT 20GB+WB
    [​IMG] Everybody knows that Radeon cards stutter less in games, but looking at 2080 vs Radeon VII... The AMD card might be a bit slower, but damn, 2080’s FPS graphs look like electrocardiographs!!!

OnnA likes this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Wow that 2080 frametimes! 158fps but feels horrible. I've seen this in quite a few games with Vega and Pascal aswell.

apple020997 and BlackZero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.