Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  2. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    This is nice gpu.Like it more then overpriced rtx 2080ti.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    How loud?!

4. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    Color me Red...I'm surprised with some of the results and confused with others. Appears that some driver issues need worked out an bandwidth utilized better.

All in all a great review and hopefully its a reliable product

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Nice review, I really dig the design of this reference card, too bad it's so loud. I agree with all of it, especially the pricing. At the same time it's probably something that's not going to go down anymore, and eventually we'll get used to it. But as things stand now, both AMD but especially nvidia offer extremely poor price/performance GPUs. I feel really bad for the people that have to build gaming rigs right now, at least I can milk mine a bit more before finally retiring it.

6. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    SOLD OUT everywhere....

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    51dB, basically loud as standing next to Elephant who just farted.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can have 5 tomorrow from 1st shop I just checked and their system updates values upon ordering.

9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I think this card should do very well in newer games to come. Still hope AMD partners will be able to apply their custom packages to this card. New drivers should be out soon.

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Have you tried contacting AMD to see if the current fan curve is a mistake?

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That's assuming AMD doesn't neglect it after Navi is released. Seeing as this is basically just a binned workstation/server GPU, I have a feeling most of the optimizations will be seen in CAD and compute tasks rather than gaming. That being said, this GPU currently outperforms the 2080Ti in a lot of cases for such tests, and sometimes by a wide margin (of course, in other tests, the 2080Ti also wins by a lot - it all depends on the application).

ZXRaziel likes this.
  12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    50+db and 300+w plus 700 squid. Not my cup of tea for a 7nm part to need that much juice.

The AIB cards will be better but like HH said 5-6 hundo not 700 because that's 2080 money.

I think the card will mature better as they up the generation of drivers.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im not sure if this was the right time to launch this. since drivers need work and there seems to be a real problem with this cooler. (read on 4 different sites now).
    maybe they just launched it for the sake of launching.

Maddness likes this.
  14. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    I love my 1080Ti , wish AMD the best.

ScreamerRSA, BlackZero and Koniakki like this.
  15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The good ole GCN architecture is just not that efficient by today's standards and this die shrink really brings that point home. I have a feeling we won't see a ton of driver optimizations since this is basically a die shrunk Vega I can't fathom there is a lot of optimizations still left. So us gamers are still mostly waiting for Navi or for Nvidia's next generation. I am pretty happy with picking up a 1070 shortly after they came out however if I knew we would have this long of a drought I probably would snagged a 1080 albit the 1070 is playing BFV just fine at 2k.

16. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    The ugly part: it is also outperformed by 1080Ti in a lot of tests - an chip that in this industry is "old" on a geological scale - with much higher power consumption and noise - for a 7 nm vs 14 nm this high power consumption is a bad surprise. The card is noisy (like nvidia FX noisy!!!) and also gets hot rather fast - this is also reported by other review sites...a little disappointing - this card does not exactly "trade blows" with nvidia offers - not even 1080Ti - and this is the bad thing but I will keep my trusty EVGA 980 Ti some more until Navi comes out - seems like it will be in July...

HARDRESET likes this.
  17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    To my book, until Navi, AMD is only for their loyalists. No meaning in their products' lineup, in their gpu roster I mean. This is so sad. :(:confused:

sammarbella likes this.
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I mean results here show it trading blows at least, but why are we surprised that it's trading blows with the 1080ti when the 2080 itself trades blows with it if you don't count DLSS or RTX features?

I think people are setting their expectations a little high with the card, which to be fair AMD did kind of hype it up as well. That being said, in terms of any GPU tech Pascal arguably has been one of the most efficient core designs in years. It's going to be hard to beat that even from Nvidia themselves, which in raw performance has already shown this isn't easy. And then we have Radeon VII, which at the end of the day is still Vega. It's a die shrink, but the same Vega core and GCN design with a higher clocks and more memory bandwidth available as well as vram, and a lot of power pushed into it.

Where I think this card will accelerate as even first gen Vega has is DX12, which in hopes of competition for DLSS such as Direct ML coming, makes sense too.

Maddness, OnnA and BlackZero like this.
  19. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Just came home and need to read the reviews, but I saw that they reconfigured the FP64 performance to 1:4 vs 1:8, this made me thinking how the community will unlock this to 1:2 like on MI50.

BlackZero likes this.
  20. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Primarily because it's on the 7 nm node.