16GB or 32GB of system RAM

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mr_pepsi, Dec 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    16GB system ram is enough especially if you have 8GB+ Vram.

2. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I'm running 32gb but just because. I saw no difference in anything I do lol.

Keitosha and Barry J like this.
  3. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I opted for 64GB for several reasons. One, I kept an eye on my original 32 set's price and picked up another set when the price dropped to roughly half of what the original set cost. As far as why, I sometimes tinker with VMs and such, and I plan to delve deeper into my hobby of video editing using 4K source content, where both the 16 threads and 64GB of RAM will actually be beneficial. For most people though? I'd recommend either 16 or 32 depending on usage and budget. If you, like me, plan on keeping the system for years it might very well be worth it to get the additional memory now rather than hoping for a price reduction in the future. With games becoming larger and larger, and 4K gaming a real scenario for more and more people, more RAM can help. If you do any higher end productivity work, like Photoshop, Premier, or work with VMs in addition to gaming, it's an easy sell to 32GB. But, if gaming is 95% of your high performance activity on your PC, save the money for a better GPU, better CPU, or even an M.2 NVMe SSD as you'd notice those first.

jura11 and Keitosha like this.
  4. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    I am using 32GB now, because slowly started getting out of memory events more and more often.

If you are nor running your pc for long period of time and not use programs on background 16GB is optimum
    But I am running my PC 24/7 with FF, discord, steam and few other things in background and have usually 10-12GB used without any game running and when gaming it peaks around 21GB for me. Of-course sometime when working on projects and gaming at same time (3d Modeling/3D printing) its not that hard to get most of memory used even with 32GB.

jura11 likes this.

5. SteveJ12

SteveJ12 Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia 1080ti
    8 gb for normal task
    and 16 bg is more than sufficient for any other task like gaming etc.
    there is no need to with 32gb unless your are not doing some very heavy multitask

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I bought another set of 16gb Ram last week to take me to 32gb because the price was right. Nowadays, having 10+ Chrome tabs open, running BDO in the background 24/7, also quite a few game clients (steam, origin, gog, uplay) and then doing quick screenshot edits in photoshop while I have a game open took me uncomfortably close to 16gb, too close for my liking.

32gb of 3200mhz ram will do me well for the next few years so it was a no brainer.

Sure, I could easily just live on 16gb Ram if I was a little bit more conservative, but I don't like monitoring my Ram because I know I'm close to it's limits. Get 32gb and forget about it was my thinking.

The1 likes this.
  7. MaydeN1337

MaydeN1337 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    With 16 you can do all the things that you want. 32 is more for video, 3d editing and rendering.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I say 64 GB. :D

Keitosha likes this.
  9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yesterday, my ram usage went to 16.1gb just sitting in desktop, with BDO running in taskbar, quite a few Chrome tabs open and Twitch stream open.

So yeah, 32gb justified :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Keitosha and BlackZero like this.
  10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I wonder if @Mr_pepsi has made a decision and will reply to this thread? ;)

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    He wised up and got 8GB :D

*Achievement unlocked: trigger the whole thread.*

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    nobody triggered, come on, we're better than that :D

sverek likes this.
  13. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    32GB :) come join the club!!

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Playing The Division 2 yesterday, I hit over 20gb ram used.

15. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    From my understanding you had a dual channel 2x8gb (16gb) and added another same kit later.
    I am asking because it is generally not recommended to use 2 different dual channel kits even if it's the same memory as you might have issues to get them working without any errors in Windows or your motherboard.

I currently have a dual channel 2x8gb (16gb) of G.Skill tridentZ 3200mhz cl14 ram and want to add another pair,but i have been informed to get a quad 32gb kit to avoid any issues.

So how is your PC is it playing nice with your 2 dual kits?

Back on topic i would recommend going for 32gb but if current prices are a concern just go with 16gb.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Maybe word "allocated" would sound better. You don't know how much memory the game actually "utilize".

Whatever, enjoy your memory and numbers :D

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    yeah, I added another 2x8gb kit, no issues. on my previous build I had 2x4gb and then added another 2x4gb, never had issues.

18. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    WTF? At what settings? I was playing at 1920x1080 and ram usage was close to "just" 10GB, according to afterburner's osd. 32GBs installed here. Unless you had tons of other things running in background.

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    My gaming system has 16 GB of RAM but my workstation system has 32 GB. I run grid computing apps on the latter and I noticed that certain tasks require a large amount of RAM, and running 32 of them concurrently can really gobble up memory. This is one of the concerns I had about getting a 2990WX - doubling the threads/tasks will probably require doubling the RAM as well so it'll be a very expensive upgrade overall.

For gaming and everyday tasks, 16 GB is more than enough.

20. [Stigmata8290]

[Stigmata8290] Guest

GPU:
    RX580 ASUS AREZ 8GB
    Was in the same dilemma, thinking about upgrading but i think 16GB is plenty for gaming