Geforce 418.81 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Feb 4, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    damn crazy how time flies

I still have my 660gtx sitting in box for day I need a back up card cause card need to be replaced, I still have my 450gts from evga, which is being used by my dads pc, Which I will never get rid of, cause it carries the same lifetime warranty that mt 9800gtx had as the warranty transferred to 450gtx I got from the RMA. complete with the paper saying 9800gtx lifetime warranty transferred so when thay 450gtx I get new card. though I doubt they will transfer the warranty again.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    This driver was seriously over-hyped. It was not worthy of the press release to herald its arrival.

The score did go up just a tiny bit more, but yeah... still nothing to get too excited about. Less than 2 FPS change with this new driver. That said, going up a tiny bit is definitely better than the score going down a tiny bit. So, that's nice. Even a small change could mean a few extra points on HWBOT.

There are no new settings in NVIDIA Control Panel for DLSS. Everything there is the same as before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It actually made more of a difference with Windows 7 than it did with Windoze OS X. Notably more than 2 FPS in Windows 7.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fOrTy_7 likes this.
  3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Seeing some +5-8% gains in Forza Horizon 4 benchmark here on these compared to 417.75.

chispy, fOrTy_7 and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Mr. Fox likes this.

5. Warkratos

Warkratos Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    This driver fixed the monitor timings issue, but now all my games are crashing to desktop after some minutes of gameplay (G-SYNC Compatible + Displayport, LG 29UM68-P)

Rollback to 417.71 fixed the issue.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  6. Dante45

Dante45 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 XFX 8GB
    Seems like most issues are only for newer models. With my GTX 960 I never had any issues.

GSDragoon likes this.
  7. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC

Well....

I'll wait for the next Vulkan ones... at least they don't break DSR... :\

8. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Well, you made the same mistake that I did first time. You need to scroll down the bencmarks to FEATURE TESTS, there's a different test, its called " Nvidia DLSS Feature Test", it does two passes of the scene, on with DLSS one without, then it gives you fps diffenrence between the two, it's not included in the "normal" benchmark. I almost doubled my fps on my 2080.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    You get 6.3% of performance boost in a static benchmark that pushes your GPU to maximum just by software update. It's quite impressive if you ask me. :)

As for DLSS it does not work as regular anti-aliasing. I doubt will ever see a 'setting' in Nvidia control panel.
    And definitely not for this gen of graphic cards.
    1. To make DLSS to work you need an application or game to implement it in its source code.
    2. You need Nvidia back-frame (cloud computing) to train and optimize a neural network model for above game.
    3. Finally this model can be loaded into tensor cores and fill missing pixels in graphics by AI model running on tensor cores.

So this is not something that you can 'force' with Nvidia control panel on Nvidia Inspector.
    Maybe next gen cards will have a more generic AI models that could work for various games.

Mr. Fox and Cave Waverider like this.
  10. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    monitors now wont wake up from sleep. had to hard reset my pc, the result was 4tb worth of torrents now taking who knows how many hours to check.

roooolling back.

months without a pc issue and it running 24/7. sadface

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well at least chromium isn't crashing on me with these!

procreating jinxed it lol.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    Thanks! I did not see that. I will check it out.

13. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    OK, here is the *proper* Port Royal test for DLSS that I did not see before. So, I do have to say that a 19 FPS improvement is impressive. It's nice that it runs it twice and shows you a DLSS off/on comparison.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33216764
    [​IMG]

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That is almost a 50% increase.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, DLSS is upsampling from a 50% less shaded pixels so somewhat expected.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, just stating the increase.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This driver definitely is showing some minor performance gains across the board. Getting more fps in SOTTR as well as FH4 here when compared to 417.75.

chispy likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Unwinder had nothing to do with nvidia inspector, and the error is because something else is already accessing the DRS binary file via nvapi so its not even a driver bug.

Nvidia is aware that this set is producing TDRs on windows 7 and 8.1, but if anyone can check to see if disabling the driver container stops the TDR's that'd be a big help.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    The performance of DLSS in this test sounds pretty good. How is the image quality in comparison with having it off?

Mr. Fox and endbase like this.
  20. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    I did not notice any difference in the image quality between the two tests. It's too bad you cannot have control over it to turn it on and off whenever you want to. It's also too bad you cannot get a Port Royal score with DLSS on. It's useful for demonstrating the improvement, but after I have done it once it is only useful to me if I can get a score to post on HWBOT and have the ability to manipulate it (enable/disable) as a feature. Maybe that will come in time. If not, then I will have to view it as yet one more example of silly NVIDIA marketing gimmicks.

Cave Waverider likes this.