MSI Outs Wallet Friendly Radeon RX 590 ARMOR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It took MSI a while, but the Radeon RX 590 ARMOR edition is finding it's way to the stores as we speak. The Tweaked 580 is fitted with the familiar two-slot dual fan cooler....

MSI Outs Wallet Friendly Radeon RX 590 ARMOR

2. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I have an RX 580 Armor 8g and I used the exact same values which HH uses in his overclocking of the other RX 580 cards and I can say that I haven't had any issues with the stability of the card, so for me overall the Armor series is a great grab, especially for 190 euro, however I have my doubts if the 590 goes for more than 220.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Yea at the current prices the 590 doesn't make sense but the 580 is a steal right now 260$cad befor taxes (+13%) where as the 590 is 370$cad

rl66 likes this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's cute... and no RGB Led :)

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Great card for 1080p gaming.

6. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Damn, that cooler looks tiny! I thought the RX 590's put off more heat than that?

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's the same than the RX 580 or the 1080 Ti armor that you can OC like hell with this cooler...
    it's just that now they put 3 slot cooler to put more RGB led... :)
    More seriously, it's just a style to get a 3 slots cooler right now as the GPU have lot lower TDP than in the past were we used lot smaller cooler in single or dual at max.
    (OK i remember that i used to have my 280 GTX at around 90°C but it work fine and for a long time).

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    same here...

9. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    considering most 590's are 259 (US not sure eur) on newegg... asrock, sapphire, xfx, power color since dec the only one higher has been the asus ROG for 309

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    580 can be found at 180€, overclock it and you get same performance.

airbud7 likes this.

11. AMDfan

AMDfan Guest

GPU:
    280X
    MSI is selling crappy AMD cards, with basic cooling solution. They only put efford in NVIDIA cards, because of the GPP. Don't give me the bűllçrąp that it doesn't exist.... because MSI and Gigabyte do proove it does.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I never noticed until you mentioned it now. Somehow I feel like they used to have the regular (better) models out of Polaris and Vega, but maybe I'm just imagining it? But then again, ever since the mining craze ended, it feels like over here shops made some underhanded decision to shun AMD and concentrate on Nvidia. One of the biggest PC hardware web stores/chains (although they sell other home electronics and stuff as well) has gone as far as practically ceased to sell AMD video cards at all. No idea if they intend to come back when Navi launches, I hope so.

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

It takes two seconds of looking to work out the quality of the fan assembly.

Sadly, this appears to be the case with a number of designs these days. So, unless you're willing to pay for the extreme high end models, sticking to reference may be the best solution often times.

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    To have used Armor solution it is the same PCB, fan (since the issue with lower quality one for the 1st Armor ) and rad than the Gaming, it is just low cost not fancy design outside and no LED.
    And yes sometime "Gaming go go LED 12 fan" cooling is sometime worse than reference design. :)
    (Cooling is not compatible with fan for me :) )

BlackZero likes this.
  15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Did you really have to make the same post 3 times? Also since when is the Armor cooler a bad cooling solution?

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its not bad i think. I heard its the old frozr cooler. Still, it does look cheap compared to gaming x/z.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Many of the observations made by @rl66 were considered in the review below.
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2927-msi-1080ti-armor-review-high-temps?

Undying likes this.
  18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's the 1080, which is a higher end card. Polaris as far as heat goes is very easy to manage plus Radeon Chill on top of it.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its not that easy really. Polaris can pull 220W for the gpu alone.

My huge triple slot Aorus xtr cooler at 50% cpu fan speed is getting 70c on the core and up to 80c on the vrms with 580 clocked to 1500mhz/1.2v.

BlackZero and vbetts like this.
  20. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Damn, that's high! I know the first release of 480's weren't too horrible with power draw.