Microsoft confirms problem with Windows 10 update halting systems from starting

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 4, 2019.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You are right about the Wikipedia definition but real life Microsoft universe is different so let me fix schmidtbag quote for you in MS realm:

2. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    I don't know, what I do know is that I'll never be affected by any of the issues with windows 10.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That wasn't a troll, that was an example of making points about linux and it's ecosystem and it's leader. You can avoid addressing the simple facts of Linus and linux failings, but that is why they STILL EXIST essentially unchanged for years because the defenders allow it. Repeating and defending the same mistakes and expecting a different result, is insanity.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    After using Windows 10 for years, every time I try to use Windows 7, I miss a boatload of features that 7 simply does not have. Similar to trying to use XP after being on 7. I also recall Windows 7 would F up just as often as 10 does.

Meanwhile, my (main) PC wouldn't load yesterday. Not sure if it's this issue or something else. It would load the Windows 10 logo and get to where login should be but I got a black screen with only a mouse cursor. System restore points would not work so I reset my PC (reinstall windows) keeping my files, something that didn't work on Windows 7 whatsoever. Yet another feature.

Resistance to 10 is futile. :p

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Microsoft's CEO stated clearly that Microsoft loves Linux. So. Microsoft loves cancer?
    More, Azure, Bash in powerShell, and biggest open-source contributor is... Microsoft.
    Understand, the goal here is learn stuff, not bash around the forums anngry that different people use different tools.
    Let's be excellent to each other, we are geeks, we are on the same side.
    If our IQ is above average as we pretend, let's make use of it and show everyone that we can discuss academics in a relaxed way and maybe we learn something here.
    Do not forget, the forum is what we make of it. That's everybody's space, and let's respect that.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Most web servers, supercomputers, cloud services, phones, and various everyday machines you encounter run Linux or other *nix systems like FreeBSD (not to mention, roughly 1% of desktop/laptop users run Linux). You clearly know nothing about what is effective or how things are run behind the scenes if the majority of processors out there run binaries compiled for these systems. Pretty much every major corporation, and even some governments are invested in these platforms, either via funding or by contributing developers.

And yet here you are, defending Windows on an article showing how poorly maintained it is.

You want me to address the facts about Linus, fine - here you go:
    There's 2 types of people who have an opinion on his methods: those who can't take criticism, and those who understand why he has no patience.
    What you probably don't understand is he's the lead developer of one of the most crucial pieces of software in use today; that's not up for debate, that's fact. Despite creating something free and open-source, he rakes in millions of dollars every year. He's a perfectionist, and that obviously pays off considering all of the mission-critical systems out there that depend on his work without regret.
    So answer me this:
    If your day to day job is to work on something this important and someone commits some code with errors, warnings, or just simply doesn't work properly, are you seriously telling me you're not going to be bothered by this after roughly 30 years? Do you honestly think it's acceptable for someone to waste his time with incomplete work? These are the people he reams out. Do a good job like you're expected to do and he's actually pleasant to work with.

Anyway, should Linus be less harsh? Yeah, probably. His behavior probably pushes away potential devs. On the other hand, that only leaves behind the truly exceptional and passionate, and trust me, there are some pretty brilliant minds for various open-source projects. But his behavior doesn't make Linux "cancerous" or "crippled". Remember, major corporations have their own devs. If they do a shoddy job, that reflects poorly upon that company, which they don't want. Everything is publicized, so everyone knows who to blame.
    Linus' behavior can be compared to methods of discipline. Positive reinforcement is nice but it doesn't stop mediocrity. Abuse is never the best option, however, as wrong as it may be, it does work. Linus is abusive, but his abuse unfortunately yields positive results.

Seeing as you've obviously never spent more than 1 hour using anything but Windows, Android, and/or iOS, you are not in a position to be making such harsh judgment.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I've used various OS up to an including reading HEX code off glow tubes on a CP-901. Are you even that old? What a lazy immature argument. Seeing as how you can't actually address anything but resort to blurting out nonsense. Let me give you a factual example. I have a Canon Pixa 990 I use via Wifi.
    How do I set it up? On a clean install of Window 10, it sees the printer on the WiFi network and sets it up. I don't have to do a thing. It works. Linux? Don't make me laugh. Linux is not in the same paradigm it's a HOBBY OS that depends upon VOLUNTEERS for BASIC FUNCTIONALITY. Meanwhile you're wailing at Windows because some glitch affecting a few users. You don't hold each to the same standards. I'm not defending MS, I'm pointing linux defenders use a much lower standard and accept a lot more hassle but get enraged at Windows. Be consistent. Linux is not ready for the masses.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    care to watch it completly? tell us what you learned

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Perhaps I should have been more accurate in that Linus and his followers and his methods are cancerous. I of course do not have any feelings at all toward OS themselves as they are unfeeling bits. And of course I don't care what others use for an OS either.
    Though here we are in a Windows story with linus acolytes bashing Windows and exaggerating the promises of linux. I'm sure you respect my posting my views on that...so I am not really sure what your post is about. I'm not the topic.

2015 and....

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    So... even though all you really asked me to do was address Linus' behavior (which I did... not sure what else you're expecting...), you use some widely generalized phrase of "various OS" as though that means anything. BTW, reading hex codes and printers isn't using an OS...
    Thanks for proving my point that you've never actually stepped outside Windows. Linux has drivers for that printer. Not Linux's fault you're incompetent.
    And if it were a hobby OS, why is every major tech company supporting it?
    No, not really. My whole point this whole time was Windows isn't as stable, secure, or reliable as other OSes. Note I originally never specified; Linux isn't that special. I never said what was best.

So let me get this straight:
    You've complained about me ignoring your comment about Linus, even though I wrote multiple paragraphs to address that. Meanwhile, you didn't answer any of my questions. In fact, you've ignored pretty much everything I said except for the part where I accused you of not using anything other than Windows, which you have proven by yourself with your tirade about an old obscure printer that actually has working Linux drivers...

I was right to call you a troll, you haven't proved anything at all about your opinion.

Um.... yeah you do, in this thread alone, you said Linux is:
    * a hobby OS
    * depends on volunteers (which, BTW, it doesn't - most of the work is contracted by paid employees)
    * Has basic functionality (even though just about your whole life today depends on it)
    * "Linux and its failings"
    * amateur OS
    * blows and is a crippled mess
    Hypocrite.
    What did I promise? Keep in mind, you responded to a post where all I did was explain how the Linux kernel is maintained. I didn't say it was the best. The only person in this whole thread exaggerating anything is you.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Carry on?

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

So now you're calling me a liar? How did my pointing out I've been using various OS's for decades turn into you again claiming I have only used Windows? And your first sentence is to claim YOUR OBVIOUS LIE is proof of something. Then you minimize your screeching in this entire thread. Now I remember why you're cancer. Wow...

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I might as well be. You haven't proved anything. Based on the compelling evidence in your speech, I accused you of using nothing but Windows. You denied it by listing a uselessly vague term, something that's not an OS, and something that isn't even true if you actually spent more than 2 minutes doing your research.
    Meanwhile, how did I lie? I told you exactly why Linus behaves the way he does. Since you clearly don't read everything, here's the TL;DR:
    He doesn't want to waste his time with incomplete work [EDIT] when he's got commits from multi-billion dollar corporations to address.

EDIT 2:
    Keep in mind, I've never actually said I dislike Windows. In fact, read far back enough and you'll hear me say that I thought Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 are good. To add to that, I thought Windows 3.1, 98 SE, and XP (around the time SP2 was released) were also good.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    So, any evidence of the number of actual affected systems? Is it OEM machines? It is just random computers, Intel specific systems with those security fixes?

15. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Considering PC Gaming is a thing because of Microsoft, not sure you know what you are talking about.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't recall being told how many people were involved in the testing or how many people applied to be a tester. However, it wasn't difficult to get into it. I went into Yahoo and typed "windows beta program" and received a proper result. I clicked on the result link, filled out the application and waited for a response.

No, there was no link in Windows....lol It was obviously more effective than the Insider Program though, given how many buggy updates MS pushes out these days.

17. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Hopefully steam and proton will eventually change all of that, its only been out for some 7-8 months and every few weeks I see a new game added on my linux compatible list, games that I could only play on windows previously.

Dimitrios1983 likes this.
  18. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Can't be affected by shoddy windows 10 updates and the bad decisions that they often bring if you're not using windows 10 ;)

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Probably recorded by Miscrosoft webcam through some old MS codec. Are you trying to trigger some epileptic attacks here? 3 minutes in and It is unwatchable as is any game stuttering/skipping/"rewinding?" that much.
    Gaming was a thing before anyone heard of DOS. People played on anything that could be programmed. If MS never came along, we would game on another platform.
    (Technology is like sex. If you think that you are only possible outcome, think about all other spermia in your "batch" programmed to do same.)

On top of that "PC Gaming" is a thing because it became large enough platform and therefore potential revenue for game developer was worth effort.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    When Windows 7 was released, not much people wished to stay on Windows XP or go back to it.
    Some people stayed on WinXp for performance reasons. Some preferred XP over Win7, not a big deal.

Windows 10 been released in 2015. It's been for more than 3 years and there still crap storm around it.
    Puts things in a perspective.