Gigabyte reportedly axing up to 10% of its staff

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Things are a bit of a turmoil for Gigabyte ever since a year or two, and it hasn't ended. Lot's of people have lost their jobs, and now another round is in sight as reportedly Gigabyte is to cut awa...

Gigabyte reportedly axing up to 10% of its staff

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ah. But releasing 1000$ mainboards, are we? o_O

INSTG8R, Keitosha, DeskStar and 2 others like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    -Ok team, we aren't doing that great lately so we need to generate some additional positive cash flow. Any ideas?
    -Higher quality components and materials!
    -Nah no need.
    -MOAR RGB!
    -No need for that either.
    -Let's hike up the prices 100% for mainstream, that'il fix it!
    -BRILLIANT!

"Later that day...."
    [​IMG]

carnivore, INSTG8R, Keitosha and 3 others like this.
  4. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Nice to see other people think like I do!
    Maybe the management needs to stop buying new cars and putting it down to company expenses as well as take a moderate pay cut.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Gigabyte are also cheats. Masters of the bait and switch. On mid-range, lower end boards, they send decent samples to reviewers to get good reviews. Then a few weeks later, they revise the boards to 1.1 with lower grade parts than the original.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've said it many times, they do it on even more expensive products than what would be typically mid range in price. I've experienced that with 3 of their $500 video cards (back when video cards didn't cost as much as a car). And no I'm not dumb enough to fall for the same Gigabyte BS 3 times, it's Gigabyte so I went through multiple lemons.

7. Great White Shark

Great White Shark Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Jetstream
    Its such a shame, as Gigabyte used to have such a good reputation in the industry for making some of the best motherboards and the customer support was on par. So many companies are making the same mistakes, hike up the prices, expect consumers to just buy it. They need to be really smart these days with offering customers the best deals. This is why ASUS are still number 1 for that reason alone. MSI have always been top of my list.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Uh.... as far as I'm concerned, Asus either makes garbage products or good products that are heavily over-priced. I have never once seen Asus offer the best deal. Asus also panders to MS way more than any other hardware brand I've encountered, and that's not a good thing.
    Gigabyte's overall quality may be worse, but I have never regretted buying a Gigabyte product and I have never wanted to rip my hair out when dealing with Gigabyte products.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    From my limited experience, Asus makes solid products but they are a bit pricey. Although i never bought their cheap/entry stuff, i always go for their mid or higher tier products and when it comes to MBs i only consider them because my experience with them has been great do far.

I hope Gigabyte doesn´t go under because we need choice on PC hardware.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If you're willing to spend the money on mid to high end parts and comply with the way they want to do things, yes, your experience will be great. For everyone else, quality noticeably suffers and you get significantly inconvenienced.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That´s curious, can you give me examples of how they annoy others that don´t comply? Honest question because i´ve never had issues with them.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It's not so much a matter of what happens if you don't comply (like they don't punish you or anything) but rather if you don't do things their way, it's much harder to get things done.
    I have a friend with an Asus laptop that had some major issue with Windows. I went to try backing up his stuff using a Linux-based bootable flash drive. The laptop just simply refused to boot from it. It would recognize the drive but it would just simply bypass it, even though it worked on dozens of other systems. I tried a bootable CD, which it also ignored. I even tried an actual Windows install disc, which it ignored. IIRC (it's been a while), SecureBoot had something to do with it and I wasn't able to turn it off. So, the whole computer was basically permanently locked-down. The only way I managed to salvage his stuff was to get Windows to de-crypt his files, take the HDD out, and put it in a different computer.
    In another case, I've worked on an Asus laptop where even though it had a 64-bit CPU, it required a 32-bit EFI. Being built upon Intel's Bay Trail, it was also a total nightmare dealing with drivers, regardless of OS, and you had to go through Asus to get everything working (even though their drivers were out-of-date).
    For some Asus motherboards and peripherals, I've encountered oddly proprietary tech for features that didn't really need it, like fan controllers, sensors, RGB controllers, and overclock utilities. You have to use their bloatware or you get no userland control at all.

I've also been very interested in getting the Asus NovaGo, since it's one of the first decent ARM-based laptops. However, so far it seems you're pretty much forced to use Windows with it. I could get so much more performance and real work potential out of it if I could ditch Windows, but Asus expresses 0 interest of supporting anything else.

13. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    That's a shame, I've actually been pretty happy with Gigabyte lately. Their Z390 lineup is solid, and they replaced my 980Ti with a 1080 when I was having issues with it.

14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I'm glad I'm not the only person dissatisfied with their GPUs. I've never been able to get a stable OC out of their cards and I gave up after trying multiple x80 cards.

15. exzeth

exzeth Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti
    This is going to continue to happen with these greedy companies if they keep raising their prices. Look at Nvidia. $1500 GPU's, massive loss in profits. As others have mentioned above Gigabyte releases a $1000 motherboard?! Lays off 10% of it's staff....lol...Defies logic.

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I mean if they wanna release a crazy $1000 board that's fine, as long as they still have good lower end boards at reasonable prices. There always seems to be a market for rich people that don't care about price, but the rest of us don't have to buy it so who cares

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    fixed it for you.

18. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    M-atx high end motherboard with z390 platform, well they have none. Z390 m gaming is mid end at best.

ATX high end they have like 10.

Meanwhile, money stay in my pocket. Cant buy what they dont produce.

19. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I hope that they get rid off guys which are responding on Bios /UEFI problems requests..

20. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Simple economics right?!?! HAHAHAHAHA. I mean really??!!

What company does this? It's not even like this is something in regards to a mainboard that's like the "Dominus" coming from Asus. That's worth a grand most likely....not Gigabytes sorry offerings.

Haven't bought a gigabyte board in my life and it would seem I will never either.....

fantaskarsef likes this.