ASRock readies nine AMD X570 motherboards with Zen2 / Ryzen 3000 support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Be awesome if mobos could come out with swappable memory slots. Even if possible, we know that would never happen.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While I tend to agree with you, it makes me sad because of plausibility. I'd love to have a new kickass Ryzen 3000 build for half of Intel's price tag...

3. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I think the majority of people waiting for Zen 2/Ryzen 3k are people with old systems, that’s my case (i5 3550). I also think that it’s the right time to upgrade.

GSDragoon likes this.
  4. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    That means they wouldn't sell new ones, so yes will never happen.

Yes i agree with that especially when i was looking at the 16core 3850X, 5.1GHz on 16 Core is a beast, but then again comes the real issue, these kind of CPUs will be part of series 4000 too, and we won't be getting DDR5 this time or PCIe 4.0 either, seems like a last upgrade attempt leap to this gens limit (which is not a bad thing, just that it will not be very future proof especially if people want to buy new GPUs in 2020 and they are PCIe 4.0, like whatever new Intel GPUs will be for example).

You're going to be frustrated when they release DDR5 and PCIe 4.0 Motherboards and PCIe 4.0 GPUs next year and Ryzen 4000, i always had this issue of buying something late into it's life cycle (mostly due to lack of money) and then some time after the new products arrive (this goes for PC Hardware and consoles, i got a Switch this month for example), my 2700X is a very good CPU, in your case it makes sense to upgrade but then again it's what i said all over again especially this, if you waited this long to upgrade why not upgrade when next actual gen Hardware parts drop (PCIe 4.0 and DDR5)?

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not so sure that the upgrades to DDR5 or PCIe 4.0 will be a game changer. Especially not with gaming, for professinal use I don't know.

theoneofgod likes this.
  6. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    PCIe 4 is coming this year with this X570 boards, and I think 2020 is the year for DDR5 in servers and 2021 in mainstream systems, so maybe Zen 3 (or Zen2+?) will use DDR4.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That Taichi board looks good.... If my UEFI issues don't get fixed soon, I may have to "upgrade" motherboards....lol

6-7 boards is better than 12....

It's full ATX. mATX usually only has 3-4 slots.... mITX has 0-1 slots. If you remove the m.2 slot, that board design has room for 7 expansion slots.

There won't be any motherboards with 500 series chipset supporting DDR5 as that would break compatibility with older AM4 processors. It would also break compatibility between the Ryzen 3000 series processors and 300/400 series chipset based motherboards.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    So, upgrading to Matisse from 6600k Skylake would be a rushed move ??
    Better wait for Zen2+ ??

9. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I get your point. But I realy think that x570 will have PCIe 4.0 and DDR5 will come only with AM5 socket (see AMD's history), and the most important, even if all that come whit zen2+ it wont do much diference performance-wise.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD promised backward compatibility for AM4 through 2020. Also, memory support was already announced to be DDR4. The 500 series chipset based motherboards and the 3000 series processors will support PCI Express 4.0, according to the announcement.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It takes several years for a new PCI Express spec to get fully utilized. In fact, PCI Express 3.0 is still faster than necessary for any graphics card or SSD currently on the market. By the time a graphics card or SSD needs the additional bandwidth of PCI Express 4.0, most of those that will actually buy a graphics card or SSD capable of using it, will have upgraded again.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Current X470 boards theoretically can support PCIe 4 with a BIOS update if they're physically designed/wired in a way to handle it. The Ryzen 3 chips will have support for it. Whether or not board manufacturers will update their BIOSes to support it on X470, who knows. To 99.99% of us, it's not important anyway. Gen 3 bandwidth is more than enough. It's only useful if you want to split the 16x lanes into 8x lanes for other devices or if you're using multiple AMD GPUs which don't use bridges so they can surpass gen 3 bandwidth. As for whether or not DDR5 will matter, that depends on whether or not Ryzen 3 will really need more RAM frequency for its infinity fabric. DDR5 might end up being a worthless "upgrade", and I suspect it will be for Intel systems, with minimal impact on AMD.
    Most of this is mentioned in a GN video:

Personally I'm waiting to upgrade from my R7 2700 to that fat juicy 3700X, especially considering (unlike all those mother fracking Intel systems I've had) I won't need a new motherboard or RAM. Just a straight CPU swap. Feels good man.

13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I don't use many at all, I just want them designed by someone with a brain.
    Usually GPUs NEED 2 slots, why place a PCIe right below the GPU one? I can't place anything there.
    And the second slot below that usually chokes the GPU fans, so it's useless too.

I want an mATX board that comes with a PCIe 1x first, for anything I want to add (sound or TV card). Then PCIe 16x for GPU. Then NVMe slot, as right below the GPU is useless to have anything to connect cards. And another PCIe 8/16x at the end for possibilities of expansion.

Asus TUF B450M-Pro is an example of what I'd like. All other 3 mATX motherboards made by Asus have crap configurations with a PCIe right below GPU...

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can have M.2 above PCIe x16 and use external sound card. I was looking for board with which I could keep my PCI based sound card. But in the end I gave it away with old system. New integrated codecs are not bad. And if I ever go for another expensive sound card, it will be external, therefore versatile.

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Name one integrated codec that has crossover? I'd like to know so I can avoid buying a dedicated sound card if I don't really need it. To power my 5.1 sound system to it's fullest, I must have a card that can do crossover frequencies.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Did you mean to write: "I need sound card capable to workaround deficiencies of my 5.1 sound system which has too high built in crossover for subwoofer." ?

I can't name any, that's because I have no 5.1 or 7.1 or similar sound system. They are simply not good enough and never will be. We have 2 ears and quality stereo headphones do more than any room covering sound system can ever do.

But from past long gone I do remember that I did use "MatrixMixer" which has been replaced by "AC3Filter" and maybe by something else again. But that had Subwoofer redirection and variable frequency cut-off. So you can actually use any and all cheap ass sound card if your only desire is to get subwoofer under control.
    And those could do most important thing for room sound systems... control delay and therefore adjust sound output properly at least for one person siting at some particular spot.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I hope when the 3000 series of ryzen is released, someone (hopefully guru3d) shows the performance difference of the CPU between x370, x470 and x570. Any chance that'll happen @Hilbert Hagedoorn ?

18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Reviewers did test that when Zen+ came out so they will definitely do so again.

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    It is just you. I own an X370 Taichi and it is full ATX, just like the one in the picture.

20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'm just going to say this: I've been using creative dedicated sound cards for years and they always provided a better experience. I sold my last card because it was the old slot design and wanted the new PCIe. It was supposed to be provisory but haven't bought the new card yet. Been using onboard sound and it just sucks.

My ears hurt after a long session with headphones, you can't just match a surround system with headphones.

I have no idea if this has a build in crossover as it's supposed to be plugged in on a sound card not on a crap onboard sound. Realtek has not updated this crap in decades. Motherboard makers use it because its cheap, and people don't complain.