FX8350 Autumn Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by BOYDIE-NI, Feb 1, 2019.

1. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6600
    Hi Guys/Girls,

As you can see from my spec I'm still rocking the old Granddad FX8350, still playing all my go to titles mostly RTS games (Rome 2, COH2 etc) with occasional FPS on BFV + BF1, and PUBG when my pals talk me into it!

Its holding up really well I play in 1080p @60fps vsync enabled, all RTS on highest settings and BFV on Medium.
    I'm getting the upgrade itch, but just cant see the benefit at the moment. Friend of mine had the same FX cpu as me, "upgraded" to a Ryzen 3 1200, and noticed almost no difference, think he's GPU bound with a 1060 3gb.

I'm putting a bit of money aside each month looking for an upgrade path in the Autumn.

Any advice or tips?

HARDRESET likes this.
  2. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6600
    CPU:
    AMD FX 8350@ 4.4GHZ
    GPU:
    RX570 4GB
    Motherboard::
    GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.2)
    Ram::
    16gb DDR3 1800
    Storage::
    120gb SSD {os} 2TB HDD
    Soundcard & Speakers::
    Onboard ViIA VT2021 HD
    Power Supply:
    550w Asus
    Case:
    Bitfenix Nova 3x120mm Fan
    Operating System: OS:
    Win 10 Home

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    A Ryzen 2600X is a great upgrade to jump to.

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, something like a 2600x would be a great upgrade and you'll see big performance increase. fx8350 is old and struggles to keep up steady framerate in modern games.

5. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6600
    I've not found that yet, the cpu copes very well considering its age.

Stone Gargoyle and Celcius like this.
  6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I wonder how exactly have you not found it yet.. I had a 8320 at 5Ghz for 3 years, paired with
    an R9 290X it barely let the gpu run at over 90%. Most of the titles were doing ~70% gpu usage
    and that's at 5Ghz.. when i made the switch to r7 1700, even at 3.2ghz that cpu locked the r9 290x
    at 99% gpu usage in every title i was playing.

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Trust me. My brother has a 8320 at 4.x ghz and had a 1050ti in that rig. He upgraded to 1070ti and while his overall average fps went up, the gameplay was far from smooth, often the fps would drop low and it just stuttered a lot.

This is compared to what I'm used to, a smooth gameplay. Trust me, with a cpu/ram upgrade, you'll see a LOT of difference, believe it or not.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Wait for Zen 2 then upgrade. Most of us gonna do the same. That FX chip can drive rx 570 no problem.

BOYDIE-NI likes this.
  9. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6600
    Cheers ill have a read up on zen 2.

10. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Stone Gargoyle likes this.

11. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6600
    Checked your videos out, very well done!

HARDRESET likes this.
  12. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Know anyone in the States? I ask because this is about as good as it gets:

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

Sadly, it's an in-store price only. (Disclaimer: I don't work for, or have any connection to, this merchant.)

I can relate to your conviction that the FX 8000-series is still a reasonably decent platform. I've been reading for years about how absolutely miserable I should be because I can't run this or that very well, due to being cursed with an FX 8370. However, all that time I kept thinking my system was sure giving a pretty good impersonation of running things well.

I added a R5 1600 to my ever-growing collection late last Summer, and, yes, it is most definitely an improvement. But, not to the extent that I've any intention of disassembling the Vishera.

Good luck with whatever future platform you choose.

HARDRESET likes this.
  13. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Cheaper than my 8370e was at $119.00 at Microcenter in Houston, 2015, but i didn't have to buy a whole new system , Ram ,Motherboard.
    At $149.00 1700X rocks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  14. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    It looks as if the games he is playing and the settings he use limit the work load on the GPU. He also said he is using VSYNC 60fps.

At one time I had a 8350 and 290x...I had no problems maintaining fps as long as I considered my hardware and settings

15. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6600
    Yup what he said I'm not exactly taxing the system.

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    a family member i know wanted a better PC build than they had on a very tight budget and I managed to get them an FX8530 4.2ghz coupled with an 8GB rx 580 red dragon and a 78LMT mobo for just over £500 and trust me it DOES NOT struggle to keep a steady framerate in more modern games, he plays a lot of for honor and the benchmark for that game was the first thing we tried and it ran at a solid 70+ fps with no dips on extreme graphic settings at 1080p. i myself only have an 8300 gtx 960 and i am currently running the likes of Apex legends at above 60fps at 1080p with mostly high settings. i have never and will never understand why the later fx series cpus get such a hard knock when they are actually still very capable given the right mix of hardware.

as long as you manage to find the right balance in gfx settings you can lessen the direct bottlenecking factor a great deal on older FX cpus and you can now pick them up for only £58.00 brand new long as you are still running am3+

added: loaded up Apex and the in game origin fps counter out of curiosity and was surprised to find i was actually hitting as high as 80-100fps running around at one point so not too shabby, not shabby at all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    platypus likes this.
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Sure, you get 60fps at 1080 in games. But trust me, your frametime graph is all over the place. That CPU will cause stutters in most modern games, compared to a modern CPU.

18. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    well that goes without question of course a newer cpu will keep a more solid frametime what im getting at is that my fps is always smooth and high in all newer games i have tried so far ive only had my 8300 for a week or so and my family members 8350 for a few days, still in the testing period. ive always been happy as long as i could hit 60fps but now i can even hit 60-80 or more and im only using the nvidia optimial power mode to do so.

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I would be interested in seeing your frametime chart from Afterburner in one of the current AAA games. As long as you're happy, all good, but I know how a 8320 performs and it's a far cry from modern cpus.

20. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    ive not used msi in a dogs age as I abandoned my youtube channel a long time ago and yep bud im perfectly happy with my upgrade as i was only on a 4300 before that and an even older phenom II X4 before that for far too long lol ;)