Nvidia Drops Q4 Revenue Expectation by $0.5B

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    History has taught us that Nvidia will use every ounce of blame they can find on other companies, markets or other situations as to why their products are not selling and not due to their designs or pricing.

I've seen a few stories now about the Chinese market slowing down and not buying technology from various companies but really it's just a symptom of the problems with markets being saturated with unsold redundant inventory (pascal and polaris chips from mining for example) or particularly in Nividias case, attempting to push price prohibitive hardware to the mainstream.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    You may be too young to remember nVidia's introduction of it's "Detonator" drivers way back when--JHH hawked "up to 50%" frame-rate performance improvements. Nobody saw that--not much of an improvement, if any, over the previous drivers. Didn't stop nVidia from continuing with "detonator" driver releases with wildly exaggerated performance claims for a while, though...;)

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Everybody and his mother who has a bad quarter or two manages to blame China sales to some degree--it's commonplace these days, regardless of the company. And so, the excuse is mostly ignored by the markets. JHH was fractionally more honest in admitting that his GPU prices were way too high and that developers were having problems trying to get RTX to "just work." nVidia had similar problems, too, judging by the absence of an RTX demo!

4. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I agree and high prices did impact the gaming segment outlook. The trade issues also impacted the company overall but it's hard for outsiders to know exactly how much. Today after 5 pm we should have a better picture on the China variable as AMD's revenue outlook is expected with roughly 20% of their revenue coming from China.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I kinda wish their profits were originally projected at $4B just for a GTX 970 controversy throwback :p

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, back in the day, they succeeded on one thing for sure. Making textures much more blurry. In many cases they did improve performance a lot.
    I remember that with one older driver, CS had quite interesting grenade explosions. Kind of without blow animation and smoke part, just few simple polygons. What a advantage as it did not prevent you from seeing objects behind explosion.

waltc3 likes this.
  7. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Lord I hate Mr.Know it alls…..“In America, gains from winning investments have always far more than offset the losses from clunkers. (During the 20th Century, the Dow Jones Industrial Average – an index fund of sorts – soared from 66 to 11,497, with its component companies all the while paying ever-increasing dividends.” SO yeah shhhhh.

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    In all of their advertising and promotionals, nVidia calls it "real-time ray tracing." The fine print won't save them, I'm afraid--"hybrid rendering" is just an admission that they cannot do the real-time ray tracing that they portray in the videoclip they include in the "demo" they include with every RTX product. You've seen it, I'm sure. The message of that RTX "demo" from nVidia is: "This is what an RTX product can do for your games." When JHH was disparaging AMD's RVII he said, "And we have ray tracing..." quote, unquote. " Talking about "hybrid rendering" is nVidia's escape hatch--it thinks--when the inevitable lawsuits come. They are already coming as I understand it.

It's a recent addition to DX12--certainly not something that has been in it since day 1.. But how come developers aren't jumping on it with both feet? Maybe because it doesn't "just work"?...;) If an end user cannot see a difference with using it--what's the point from a developer's view?

Interesting, because that's not what the people who have been complaining about have been saying--indeed--that in one game in which no one can discern the difference between the "ray-tracing" and rasterization--the complaint was that when the tensor cores were used the frame-rate dropped by half. nVidia's answer? "Use less real-time ray tracing." Pretty sure I read that right out here @G3d, in fact...

No, the stock dropped because nVidia cut its original guidance by $500M, a huge drop! Apparently, China was no threat to nVidia when nVidia put out the original guidance of $500M more, eh?

And, if the stock dropped because of China, then why did JHH specifically mention the fact that the RTX products aren't selling because 1) they cost too much, and 2) Few if any can see any real image-quality improvement with RTX? JHH himself has undercut your argument.

Everybody who has a bad quarter these days manages to shoehorn China in there somewhere--it's almost comical, it's used so often. And that isn't a new phenomenon--it's been going on for years! But the fact is that the trade deficit with China today is a fraction of what it was that the Trump administration inherited--some $800B annually--nearly a trillion-dollar Trade deficit with China. Today, that number is enormously improved over what it was by several hundred-million dollars. Fact is, we were in a trade war with China before Trump took office--but we have an exceptionally stupid mainstream press in the US--who only noticed China once this President said something about our trade situation with China and his desire to improve it. And the fact is, the US had been losing that trade war for most of the previous decade! Really, the mainstream press in the US are little better than *idiots,* imo. I cannot recall a period in which they have displayed such rank stupidity--but that's another story...;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Monchis likes this.
  9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Reminds me of when 3dfx sold the first FSAA GPUs to hit the market, and then in 2002 when ATi shipped the R300 that just happened to FSAA very well compared to anything that had come before--nVidia squealed like a stuck pig...;) "We don't believe in FSAA!" nVidia said through its "Science Officer"--who was just a glorified PR guy--"nVidia believes that the way to eliminate the jaggies is through achieving very high resolutions!"--which of course, no nVidia GPU could attain as of that time--But the funny part is that a couple of years post R300, when nVidia was able to field a competitive product, it jumped on the FSAA bandwagon with both feet, and of course, FSAA is universal these days. Even at 3840x2160 I sometimes use a bit of FSAA. I guess I recall all of this stuff so clearly because I lived through it and was peripherally tied to it at the time--how well I recall the "Internet count down to nV30" nVidia ran for quite sometime--and that's not the half of it. But, it's all water over the dam which is only interesting today because nVidia is still putting its foot in it, it seems...;)...!

carnivore and Fox2232 like this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's ignored by markets? That's why Apple/Intel/Nvidia/Various SKorean & Taiwanese semi companies are all down since October, all blaming china + tariffs - but the market is ignoring the excuse. What world are you living in because it certainly isn't ours.

What are you talking about? RTX was working in BF5 soon as the Windows update hit. They literally had it working prior to Turing even shipping on Volta. The performance was dodgy but you can do 60fps at 1440p now and they are further improving it.

Wat - the Starwars video was released in March 2018, long before Turing and certainly isn't "included" with every RTX product. The various games launching make it very clear what DXR is being used for - BF5 for reflections, Metro for AO and Tomb Raider for Shadows. I don't even own the card and I know this.

Or maybe because it's limited to a specific build of Windows + graphics card series that's overpriced? Took years for tessellation to become ubiquitous in games. SM3.0 - years. But you want this tech to be integrated into games in less than 3 months? The SDK wasn't even available until September - the Windows patch was delayed to what, November? And there are already 11 games pledging support for it. Seems fine.

BF5 doesn't use the Tensor cores so I don't know what you're talking about. You're probably trying to say RT cores but I still don't get your point. When lots of new graphics features are enabled framerates drop. Most people find the game playable at QHD on a 2080Ti now. Seems fine for first integration + with promised improvements down the road. It's like saying Tessellation is a crap feature because Crysis 2 overused it.

Nvidia's stock halved due to guidance the last time they reported back in October - same with every other tech company - blamed on collapsed mining market, pascal inventory and china. Also I don't really get your point with the original guidance - most economists were equally split on how china tariffs would affect the US/Chinese market but you're saying it's completely out of the ordinary that Nvidia miscalculated a projection of that a quarter ago?

He says they cost too much over MSRP and are in too few games. Not lack of image quality improvement.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    pharma likes this.

11. Great White Shark

Great White Shark Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Jetstream
  12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sounds more like wall street is upset it can't make more money off crypto. Meh, idc. That's market correction for you.

13. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This. Doesn't say too much. And they sell after making a profit... normally that's a good thing ;)

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What about China makes it so no one will try to contradict and prove you wrong? Why is China convenient? Why is the massive slowdown in foreign investment in China - something's that's clearly measurable - suddenly a scapegoat and not real? Why did every single tech company including Japanese/Taiwanese/South Korean all simultaneously miss on the Chinese market in the same quarter?

INSTG8R likes this.
  18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I await an explosion in revenue soon enough I believe. Since prophet's Jensen Huang opinion whatever said about radeon VII holds lousy performance. He was absolutely confirmed.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    He could not be more wrong in human decency, His post in nVidia and actual judgement of Radeon 7.
    Here, Radeon 7 is currently 5% more expensive than RTX 2080.
    Radeon 7 comes with Division 2, DMC5 and RE2.
    RTX 2080 comes with BF 5 (nicknamed cancer-field) and Anthem (Nicknamed Lootbox-end-Game).

If I was to pick one of those cards today, I'll pick Radeon 7 because it provides much greater value in sum of things I do. And Those games are clear choice. nVidia bundles trash games, AMD bundles actually desirable/enjoyable games.

warlord likes this.
  20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    If you criticize the whole bundle ok. What about people like me already having them? Sell 'em?