TSMC Fab 14: Wrong chemical usage renders thousands of wafers unusable for NVIDIA (and others)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    Another reason to inflate the already heavily inflated prices of these RTXs.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    10k wafers only? Once costs $3,000. Not even worth noting. But watch the ripple effect.

Neo Cyrus, fantaskarsef and Keitosha like this.
  4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Wrong chemical usages? What's next, coffee spills? Just another reason to inflate prices. I really wish to upgrade my already aged rig to Ryzen 3xxx, but I'm really hesitating right now. Might as well use my Raspberry Pi's as main systems (good enough for light browsing and Libreoffice) and go console only.

I think they'll get a promotion.

5. magiQx

magiQx Active Member

GPU:
    vega 64
    so, no 7nm process affected? Thats good for Ryzen 2, right?

AMDfan likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I call BS. First, Nvidia is already complaining about low RTX sales, can't really cripple them now, can it?
    All in all it sounds like a warning that prices may hike again, although clearly, since either the raw materials were botched (which is the suppliers issue), or they were used and not checked beforehand (TSMC's issue), both should compensate for not delivered chips under any circumstance. The rest is just marketing to "justify" something else that will come soon.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ridiculous. Something tells me that such huge and important companies like TSMC take all security precautions possible to prevent something like this to happen. Sounds more like an opportunity for nVidia to cry some more.

8. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    So Jensen Huang will use this excuse for the low Q1 revenue in few month?

AMDfan and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Would be interesting if they hiked prices again. And to see stupid written all over their faces with "lower than expected sales" statements again

Keitosha and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. 999Anticlock9wiSe

999Anticlock9wiSe Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    Dont get saying anything negative towards Nvidia in here because you will only get targeted for being aggressive and a troll.

Yakk likes this.

11. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    What about Huawei? I don't see anyone concerned about their prices. Don't you guys like Huawei phones?

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Source for the price?

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing is that it does not increase price Huawei pays for chips/wafers. It increases cost on FAB side or party delivering bad chemicals. (If those were really bad chemicals and not mistake done by ppl in FAB.)

Huawei as others will be affected by receiving fewer chips. Even if all those chips were to be delivered to Huawei, it is just $30 million worth of chips. Huawei has ~ $100B revenue. If they had mere 1% profit margin on those chips, it would still be 0.03% reduction on revenue.

@yasamoka : Source your own price if you have issue with value provided.

14. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    So, the solution is higher prices.... except that in this same page we see the news that Nvidia had to drop Q4 results expectations, with BS that translates to "our prices are stupid and raytracing is basically worthless at this moment, so sales are crap"

Not to talk about the stock of Pascal cards left from the cryptomining bubble.

Nvidia may want to get their crap together and start being more competitive. AMD is not going to be far behind forever (or so I hope, we need some competition), and even if that's not the case, the more time passes the easier it seems just to switch to console.

15. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Isn't it funny how whenever a company wants to inflate its prices, a construction factory always has a convenient accident. Well this time i don't buy it. Get f***ed Nvidia.

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Cant wait for the (even further) artificially inflated pricing on RTX, now instead of paying double what you should, you'll have to pay triple!

RTX inflate ON

Nvidia soon to accept direct kidney payments, who needs a middleman anyway.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Dragondale13 likes this.
  17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Oh the number of people who said i was mad to pay £695 for a 1080Ti from Amazon on release day mooha ha ha ha ha ha ha

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Given how nasty some of the chemicals used in this kinda process are... Yeah, I can understand why it's having this effect. Even a tiny amount of the wrong impurity can ruin the thing. Just as a single speck of dust can.

19. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Whatever your point of view is, this sucks big time.
    The people responsible are in big trouble. Imagine you're building a car and at your station you forget to plug in the airbags?
    I just hope they can resume production soon.

schmidtbag likes this.
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm curious, who was that? Might have been the smartest GPU buy in the last years... for me it is. Way better than 980 SLI before... :oops: