Resident Evil 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    That may be the case for those windows. However, in my Leon playthrough I swear to God at some point there was absolutely nothing left in the station to deal with (in terms of regular enemies). The "new" zombies coming from windows are also finite in number I'm 99.99% convinced of it. Unless someone could open up the game in some editor or do extensive data mining to check out to prove me wrong; I haven't noticed some sort of a constant flow of zombies entering the station after a certain number of them do come in. If they do "respawn" per se in some infinite number over time then I'm genuinely very surprised by that because in my playthrough, as I mentioned, once I cleared the corridors with windows a few times (I do remember going through and having to get rid of some 'new' zombies, yes; but no more than maybe 2 or 3 times total) after a while there was absolutely nothing there anymore ever again.

Maybe it's tied to difficulty setting; if that's the case I'm not aware of it at this point. But if it is then alright, that's a nice touch too. I played my Leon playthrough on Standard, maybe the whole finite enemies thing changes on Hardcore, or even on Assisted where perhaps there's just way more of them total since they're just very easy to deal with.

With this said though, even if new zombies do make their way in the station regularly, it's still very isolated to certain portions in the map, there's a clear radius of "roaming around" they can do after which point they just never go beyond. There's entire sections of the map that will always remains entirely empty of enemies once you clear them. The rooms that are most affected by that are the ones that aren't in the 'contour' / outline of the station, the 'inner' rooms don't have new zombies entering them, or magically appearing in them later on. The only exception I remember of were SOME rare situations where I'd enter a room where say... something like 2 or 3 zombies where in; however, there's a 3rd, or a 4th zombie lying there in a corner that just didn't stand up AND cannot be killed right away. And later on I come back to the room and that one zombie is now alive or comes back to life as I get closer because 5 minutes ago I 'triggered' his coming back to life mechanic by solving a puzzle or two. I do think I had that situation happen a few times, but was still rare overall.

Like 90% of the game is on finite numbers. I can only think of Mr X himself and those sewer monsters being essentially a constant presence in the game.

2. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    We finally got our review out. It's also spoiler-free :) Such an awesome game.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  4. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Using TAA+reshade lumine sharpen sharpen things out a bit that blury mess

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There are only about four or five lickers in the RPD at any given time. They stay in a set location until you hit a certain story mark, then when returning to the RPD they will be moved to new locations.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So, is the game really scary or not that bad? I played the demo and it had a jumpscare or two but it was manageable.

I've played RE5 which wasn't scary at all. I've also tried one of the Revelations games which also wasn't scary. RE7 on the other hand is a different thing, I watched a playthrough on YT and I'm glad I did cause I would never have been able to play that game (too scary) :D

7. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I'd say it's on the level of 7. It has a few jumpscares, but if you found those in the demo manageable, you'll find the rest manageable as well. The game is nowhere near as action heavy as RE5 (thank f**k) and it's slower paced. As far as "is it scary" goes, that is really a matter of personal preference. I wasn't "scared" outside of Mr. X chases and the Lickers, but I've also played these games for a long time, so I don't expect to find much new in their horror XD

EDIT: I have also thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The Lickers are finite.
    If you kill them, they do not respawn until you hit the next story beat, and return to the RPD later. So, it is possible to remove them from the situation.
    And, once you learn where they are....
    One in the west hallway 1 floor, one outside the STARS office, one upstairs in the room were you detonate the C4, one outside the West Office... there's your four
    , and they will stay that until you trigger the story later on.

Then they change location.
    And Mr. X is slower then you. If you run away, he cannot catch up to you. So, it's possible to put plenty of ground between the two of you before you go into areas where a Licker might be.

Same as with the 98 RE2, it's all about learning the enemy locations.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for your input. RE7 had a lot of disturbing moments like the fiance getting all weird and also all things with that f*cked up family (arm, spider and so forth) which I'm glad I didn't have to experience first hand. I was thinking that this game was more about jump scares? Anyway, I think I'll go for it. After all, it's a finite game and not like AC:Odyssey which lasts for hours and hours without end.

emperorsfist likes this.
  10. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Interesting you mention the family and some of the disturbing moments of 7. They are kinda unique to that particular instalment (which, I guess, makes sense, seeing as it's the only FPS rendition of RE). If those disturbed you, then I can say that those aren't in RE2 (seeing how it draws from the old "trilogy"). There are a few jumpscares and a few uneasy maps (again, Mr. X makes things quite harrowing), but it's a lot more focused on puzzles, opening up the locations, and avoiding the zombies.

Netherwind likes this.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Lickers can't open doors but they will follow you through one if it's open long enough. I found that out the hard way while trying to avoid one with Mr. X chasing me. Thought I would be safe in the next room but the Licker was too close and jumped right through the door after me.

Geryboy likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Great, I think I'll get it. For me this is getting out of my comfort zone just like Dark Souls 3 which I enjoyed immensely but also hated at the same time. But it turned out well with DS and Bloodborne.

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Just finished it with Claire.

What a stellar game and big kudos to Capcom for going with the tried and tested adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

This was a great trip down memory lane in a modern package, more developers who remaster/reimagine old hits need to take a page out of this book.

Now to do the whole damn thing again with Leon :p

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    cerebus23, lucidus and AsiJu like this.
  14. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I'm saving my second run for the unconfirmed RTX update of which I'm sure will be released... *rolls eyes*

insp1re2600 and BangTail like this.
  15. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Did you say

[​IMG]

Giddy up :p

AsiJu likes this.

16. jmcc

jmcc Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12GB
    This game has major frametime issues on my machine.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The video should also switch from 720p30 to 1080p60 when RTX = Off :)

cerebus23 and BangTail like this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    And on topic: game has been installed since Saturday but got sick and haven't been able to play yet...

yes yes I got infected lols, the irony is hilarious!

:D

BangTail and MerolaC like this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its what is coming next ;)
    https://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/resident-evil/278900/resident-evil-capcom-resident-evil-3-remake

BangTail likes this.
  20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

Turanis and AsiJu like this.