Resident Evil 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    I love the game and it's play good enough for me, but somtime de stutters are real visible, and you don't know what you say, de stutters are the frametime sikes, you cant ignore that. It's not a placebo. Testing (tech) is my hobby and also gaming.
    You msut be blind if you not seeing the stutters, or hickup's call it what you like.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I never monitor frametimes, just fps and at 2000ms polling

Lower volumetric and enjoy.. you're just nitpicking in that video above.

I could play demo just fine @DSR 2.25x (2880x1620p) 70-80fps avg and rest of the stuff maxed, except Rays and shadows 1step lower, didnt see any difference visually there, so I lowered for fps boost if any.

I know when it stutters or has micro fps drops e.g. cod infinity warfare (mp) and here in re2 it's nothing like that, smooth gaming all the way.

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Found the stutter, random inventory open/close pauses, only seem to happen, when i first enter the Police Station, like a cahing thing, as once ive ran around the whole room, and its got everything in, it all goes fine.

4. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Exactly my thoughts. Seems rather spoiled.

-Tj- likes this.

5. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    FPS cap at 60 did the trick. And it was not nitpicking, it is al over the place, in the gas station and in the police station. Im testing only performance some time with new games so i can wright my reviews for you people. I don't stick my head in the sand like fanboy's do.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  6. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Alright so I finished my Leon campaign, took about 11 hours (I think it's 11 hours and 04 minutes it showed at the end).

I was very surprised to find out that:

They apparently preserved the same 4 Routes concept from the original. I didn't want to be spoiled about that so I didn't read to find out if it was the case. But the way it ended with Leon made it clear enough to me that they must have went with it this time around as well. I ended up reading around for this information and it does seem to be confirmed that RE2 Remake does have the equivalent of Leon A + Claire B, and Clair A + Leon B, but they've been renamed. So to get the full campaign / ending of Leon, I need to finish it a 2nd time with Claire. And then, to have the full campaign / ending of Claire, I will also have to complete it with Leon after that; so just like the original where as far as I know it is the fourth playthrough with "Leon B" that is technically canon. It might well be the case again with the Remake. I'm very happy about this because it means I'll get to play it 3 more times rather than only one more time which is what I initially thought would happen.

Now, small review (but again, this is just after completing Leon's campaign and nothing else; haven't started my Claire playthrough yet):

- Graphics / Atmosphere 10/10

- Sound / Audio design (excluding music) 10/10

- Music (the new stuff for the Remake that is) 8/10 (generally good, but some places it was either too 'weak', not building or keeping tension enough, or more on a technical level I noticed some music transition issues when moving from a danger 'zone' or nearby zombies to a safer zone with no enemies; which would suddenly "cut" out the tense music track into a sudden, abrupt end to then just as suddenly start a new more relaxing track; happened a few times near the last portions of the game).

- Animations (Injuries, walking, running, firing, falling, getting grabbed; bosses, enemies etc) 10/10 (Capcom really do have some of the best animators in the gaming industry in my opinion; from the smooth animations in SF5 to the INCREDIBLE monsters animations in MHW, now to this in RE2 Remake and much more I'm not even mentioning, they sure as hell know how to animate stuff)

- Voice Acting 10/10 (would have been VERY difficult to do worse than the originals; it's so much better it makes me want to never hear the original stuff ever again lol... but yeah I know, nostalgia is still there; I'm mostly exaggerating; I STILL like me some good ol' early or mid 1990s era video gaming voice acting; it wasn't just the RE series that suffered from that during those years, it was very common to get ears-shattering cringy VA in games, but the RE games were definitely among the worst ones)

- Dialogue / Writing quality 8/10 (it is a WORLD apart from the absolutely atrocious writing of the originals; for which of course I still have fond memories because today, in retrospect as well, it's just funny and cringe-worthy 1990s writing classics, but on paper it's undeniably horrible and must have been written by someone just coming out of primary school; but this time around except for VERY rare situations where I thought it wasn't fitting or had a bit of a cringe feel to it, it was generally high quality writing; at least as far as a Resident Evil game goes)

- Gameplay / Game Balance 10/10 (arguably the most important part; and it is absolutely a true Resident Evil game, played in a true classic trilogy Resident Evil way; same good ol' Inventory management, same preparing-the-next-venture-out-of-this-safe-room in your head before you do type of gameplay, same kill-only-what-you-need-to type of gameplay if you choose to which leads to the same ammunition-management just like in the originals; in fact I think this time around it's even MORE focused on the survival horror aspects; whereas I always felt that the originals were a LOT more actual puzzle-solving games set in an horror setting than they ever were actual "survival horror" games, even though they've always been referred as such by most people; there's more to say but the gist is that this IS, without a doubt, THE absolute Resident Evil gaming experience of the whole franchise, better than the originals YES... yes I said it, it's better; and it's better than RE7, actually I'm not a big fan of RE7 in general even though I know it was mostly praised all around, I didn't "hate" it per se, but I just didn't really like the setting much; although I sort of liked the story, it did have good moments, but RE2 Remake is a mountain next to it).

- Replayability Unsure / 10 (but does seem to be pretty much in the veins of the originals), that one is an important aspect in the originals (I.E. being able to essentially have 2 'main' campaigns, separated in 4 playthroughs with two connected characters). Now, if they add some sort of a future game mode like the N64 version where it randomizes placement of items (and perhaps zombies as well in some locations) then that would make RE2 Remake simply put one of the greatest video games of all time in my book. It's already pretty much better than RE2 original for me at this point and I just finished ONE campaign. Give me an officially-made randomizer mode of some sort for at least one of the two characters and this game is going to end up in my personal Hall of Fame of video gaming, period.

For now, overall, it's a solid 9, or 9.5 out of 10 for me. An absolute marvel of a game. Really, Capcom have been surpassing themselves in recent years.

AsiJu and sertopico like this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Fair enough, but still did you try medium volumetric rays?
    I see it has medium or high setting.. And by that quick ingame settings comparison it's such a minimal difference and not really worth it if it runs ok at medium.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Looking through Artstation and found these awesome renders of Claire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The artist has some more renders of the other characters on his artstation account as well : https://www.artstation.com/rikkthegaijin

Zenoth likes this.
  9. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I finished the game with leon on 3.8k almost 4k, with scaling the game looks great and stuff but the game is to dam short in my opinion, and most boss battles are kinda the same fighting style, shoot the eyes to kill it.
    Going to begin claire route tomorrow see how that goes.

This game is far from perfect tho, graphics i give it a 8.5, sound a 9, and replaybility a 8 as well.
    What i do mis is the quick dodging like in re4 u cant do that in this one thats kinda lame.

Also i had finished the game in just under 8 hours i thought it toke me longer lol.

10. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Anybody else get a weird frame-rate plummet, when they go in and come out of the inventory ?, its weird, as when i pick stuff up to go in it, like bullets etc..., once i come out of it, my frame-rate just dies, sometimes goes to 0, before it quickly goes back up to my locked 60, and when it hits low frames, or 0, i get a quick pause/stutter, its very odd, as its only when i go in and come out of the inventory sometimes, that it does it, apart from that, the game runs fine, even when im blagging all the buggers under that shutter.

Got it maxed @ 3440x1440, Shadow Cache on, 8GB Textures, just Blur + Noise off, and its not even using 4GB.

https://i.**********/9X8cfZJY/Resi-2.jpg

12. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No stutters here(DX11 maxed out).

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, the in game Video Memory monitor in the options menu is WAY bugged the hell out.
    Firstly, it says I only have .11GB available. But, when I set the settings... it says I will be using 12+ gigs.

Yet, in game, my overlay says I'm barely using 7. So......

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That said 7gb vram is still alot. Most cards dont even have that much. Are you running 1080p or 1440p?

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That was 1080p.
    And when I said 7gb, that was the absolute highest I ever saw it. On average, it's around 4 to 5.

But, that's with all settings maxed (except motion blur turned off). Texture detail at 8gb.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There are certain rooms he can not enter.
    And a couple are tied to puzzles. So, he can not interrupt you while working on certain things. Also, Lickers can't open doors. So... if you agro one... just run into the nearest room. It will reset the Licker.

While he is invincible, you can drop him to his knees, which will give you a little more time to run. But, it's not really needed... and is a large waste of ammo.
    You are already faster then him, so if you can get some ground between the two... you'll mostly be okay.
    The big issue is if you try to stay and fight. Which... you shouldn't. Use a flashbang to blind him for a second... and take off.

Though, I will say, my wife was laughing... I was in a room, and I didn't want to leave it because I could hear him walking around down the hallway from me.

17. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I remember when Marvin turned, and I was like meh, I'm not gonna waste my ammo on him, not worth it and then later Mr X showed up and that Marvin hoe kept intercepting me in the lobby while I was trying to run from Mr X.

Once Mr X was dealt with, I went back and unloaded a whole clip in Marvin's head.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  19. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I actually LOVE the way they implemented Mr X this time. He is absolutely the #1 reason for ramping up the 'Survival Horror' aspect of this game up the wazoo. Without him, or without him being almost always there; it would have been just like the originals where once you get rid of enemies in any given location, said location then becomes entirely empty of dangers and are only there to serve as shortcuts for the necessary back-tracking to solve puzzles. Which is why I always said and always had the opinion that the original RE games (be it 1, 2 or 3) are way more puzzle-solving games (set in a horror setting) than they've ever been actual 'survival horror' games.

Because once you get rid of dangers in the originals there is NOTHING to "survive" against. It has always been 1) Manage items and inventory for your next venture out of the same room, 2) Get rid of zombies / lickers, etc (whenever you have to, or all of them if you want to; cause ammo in the originals was way more common than in Remake to start with), 3) Find puzzle-related items, unlock stuff, turn switches on, etc, 4) Find, or go back to puzzle-to-solve, 5) Go back to the same or a new safe room, readjust items / inventory / storage chest, 6) Move on to the next unexplored zones, rinse and repeat until the end. It's a VERY simple concept. However, the linearity of it and the nature of the game having a finite number of enemies that will never come back makes it so you'll often find yourself completely alone, in what essentially amounts of an enemies-less game where you just spend time in a "tense atmosphere" solving puzzles. And... that's it.

However, now, sure you can get rid of enemies and there's still a finite number of them, and they don't respawn to compensate with numbers (just like in the originals), BUT, at least Mr X is there to force the Survival Horror aspect unto the player as he/she tries to solve puzzles (and occasionally enter new areas with regular enemies while having to deal with Mr X). It's like game says "Ok now that there's no regular enemies here anymore and all scripted events have been triggered I'll make sure that you don't start yawning as you spend the next 30 minutes solving puzzles". In essence, his near-constant presence is the main pillar of this game. It is, in my opinion, THE main 'new thing' that Remake does way better than the originals (among a lot of other things). I have read some comments out there so far that suggest that Mr X should even be killable on the easiest difficulty setting. And I completely disagree with it. Maybe... MAYBE being able to slow him down as you'd shoot at him (a bit like how T-1000 in Terminator 2 keeps moving forward as bullets are fired at him but each one will kind of 'stutter' his movement a bit nonetheless; that's what I like to image happening on him say on the easy setting), or if not then maybe having him staying stunned for a couple of seconds longer when flash-banged; sure why not. That, I would perhaps agree with. Like, if you want a "less stressful" experience.

But... I mean then again why? It's Resident Evil, why would anyone NOT want an actual survival horror experience out of it? To me that's comparable to saying something like "Hey, can I get a Mario Bros game without the platforming please?", why, instead, wouldn't you let Resident Evil be itself? On a side note I know, this might come out sounding arrogant or rude but it's not my intention, it's just my honest opinion. I'm also just a very picky gamer by now; and so-called "horror" games for me have mostly been a complete miss. This one though, with Mr X, is genuinely terrifying at times (not just him though, but he himself contributes to a good 80% of the game's atmosphere for me), and even though it is difficult, I absolutely love it.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Actually, unless you board up every window... you are never completely safe in the RPD. As zombies outside will break normal windows and continue to come into the station.
    And even boarding up the windows isn't permanent. The zombies can break the boards after a while, and start coming inside.