Maxwell volt mod not being recognized ...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by moheban79, Jan 20, 2019.

1. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Hi,

Having trouble raising the 1.212 volt limit on my Evga 980 Ti KPE cards. I used Maxwell II bios editor to make these changes:

[​IMG]

My desired Boost voltage I want is 1.250 volts which doesn't show in Afterburner while furmark or 3dmark is running. Not only that if I set the 825.0mv circled in orange to 1250mv Windows fails to load and locks up with spinning circles. I assume the 1306.3mv underlined in purple is the high limit that can be raised in Afterburner and the fields underlined in orange are the boost voltages?

Also add got the cards water cooled and they hit 40 degrees while in Furmark. Aware Maxwell has an OC ceiling and pretty much sucks at overclocking but hoping a little voltage will go a long way.

I have attached my rom for review.

Thank you.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nwn8o8x9x9vayky/0.7z/file

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You need Kepler bios tweaker first then mod it there, now it will unlock extra voltage slider setting. Now reopen it in Maxwell bios tweaker and set that said slider to 1.25v.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/980-ti-owners-thread.399607/page-106#post-5240816

But this will break llc and it will show voltage all over the place. Apparently this is normal as well, it's just msi ab doesn't show such fluctuations by default.

I tried that one time though, but flashed back to stock.

Ps your 1.21v at default can do max 1.238v or so and that should be enough for 1.5ghz - limit of Maxwell.

Default is 1078mhz with boost ~1.2ghz. So you already got a ok card at 1.43ghz.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  3. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Will break IIc? I just want a pinch more voltage.

Thanks for your quick reply.

4. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Oh you mean it breaks load line callibration. I thought thats kind of important when you overclock. My 980 Ti on back of card has dip switches to turn up vdroop compensation. Wonder if that will break as well?

Thanks again.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hmm maybe that will help with such drop worth a try. But be careful how you mod it.

Check the post @DeathAngel74

It will unlock your first voltage, it's only that that you need, I think, leave p8 and p5 alone.

6. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Well I made the mod with Kepler Bios Tweaker, and then opened and saved with Maxwell bios editor showing the unlocked tables below. Ran Furmark and 3DMark and didn't notice any changes except now they boost at 1455mhz as opposed to 1430 mhz. Perhaps because I flashed each card with same rom this time as opposed to keeping each card's rom unique. Not only that Afterburner now reports each card Boosting at 1.212 volts each. Before one was 1.201 and the other was 1.212. Its not my first modification to the vrom as before in the past I played with changing fan profiles and upping the Boost like 25 mhz because I was on Air before but now that they're on Water don't care about fan profiles.

Was kind of scary this time though. Last night after changing P00,P 825 to 1250 Windows failed to boot and was stuck with spinning circles. Had to run the Windows installer USB and go into a shell window and reflash. This morning after making your Kepler mods the drivers got corrupted and the gpus were showing up as just display adapters in device manager. Had to clean install newer drivers and that fixed that but still locked at 1.212 volts. Only odd thing is Afterburner dial for voltage adjustments is set in the middle for 0mv. Not sure but thought the dial should be all way to the left. Who knows.

Done modding for today. Was fun. Going to quit while I'm ahead.

Thanks

[​IMG]

7. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Something weird happened. After the mod one of the LEDs on the card went out and didn't come back on. This happened right after when both LEDs seemed brighter than normal. Maybe it was because I had installed LED visuallizer and playing with LED settings but now nothing I do brings that one LED back to life on my first card. The other one is one and slowly fades and blinks on and off no matter what I do. The card still works and I can run stress tests no problem. Tried even flashing it back to the old firmware and still no led. Not sure whats going on. Thanks.

8. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    If you haven't uninstalled LED visualizer and observed if the LED lights up or not, do that first.

It is a cosmetic issue though, so nothing to worry about if the card still runs properly.

9. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Unfortunately it came back on.. I say unfortunately because with a waterblock those LEDs blind you! Man they're so bright!