Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I kind of understand how you feel. I haven't seen Black Panther (since it's yet another super hero movie, cinemas are extremely expensive here, and he even got lame powers for a super hero), but first thing I thought when they got the best motion picture nomination, it's just politics... and somebody truely not racist couldn't care less if they're all black.
    But I susped it's just to give the movie more credit than the film maker's work actually would justify. Just my impression about many, many nominations for such awards in general.

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Just watched Upgrade, damn what a really good movie, the shocking thing is that it felt more like a Ghost In The Shell movie than the recent GITS movie was.

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Tried watching Solo on Netflix, but couldn't make it past 20 minutes.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Went and watched Dragonball Super: Broly Tuesday night. Holy crap that movie was the hype!!!

Some jaring CGI in it (not as bad as the Frieza movie) but overall DB has never looks this good. Story wise best movie of the franchise and it was great all around, actually funny parts in there (most humor in DB falls flat for me) and I liked how they let the animators go off model during these moments.

Now to the action it's spectacular. Seriously even if you are not a fan the movie is a spectical and you are doing yourself a disservice not seeing it in a theater.

Keitosha, MaCk0y and fantaskarsef like this.

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Yeah the spaceships did not look good in CGI. It was a good movie but I think I am getting old for this. Too much screaming from Broly was getting to me. :D I actually didn't want to watch the movie because I didn't watch the series except for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F which I heard are the first part of the series. But it was a free ticket.

T2 is one of my favourite movies. The only problem with T1 was the technology was not there yet. Still find the stop motion for the Terminator at the end freaky. :)

ramthegamer likes this.
  6. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Went to see the movie as well and is was epic. The animations, the fights and all that were intense. Freeza was exceptionally evilly depicted, I loved it. Storywise it was fine, but story never was DB's strong point (TBH the original Dragonball has the best story and is more considered an adventure), but at least it didn't involve a crying Kakarot causing problems. ;)

Then again, really a movie I want to see again and can't wait for Dragonball Super to continue later this year. It will be set after Broly. Imagine Broly and Kale sparring each other.

7. Dragon14

Dragon14 Guest

GPU:
    Model
    One of the best films I have ever seen based on real facts.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I think Ufotable is one of the best when it comes to animation. The Kara no Kyoukai movies starting from more than a decade ago have great animation. Better than most of today. But the most impressive has to be Jin-Roh from back in 2000. The fluidity in that one is impeccable.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I just seen Aquaman.
    And i again got confirmation that i enjoy DC comic movies much more then marvel. The story is so much better every time i watch one.
    I really enjoyed it, and because of this id rate it 8.5/10 and def recommended if you like superhero stuff.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It has been many years since I last saw "To Kill a Mockingbird". Today I did see it again.
    Anyone from younger generation who did not have the opportunity may consider it...

Edit (not to double post unnecessarily):
    Rusty Angel... very well done. All characters introduced well, down to doggie. Additional run time used to actually give meaningful back stories and changes in characters shown better.
    Who knows the story knows how it is going to play for everyone out. Only big difference is that Hugo is not as idiotic/bad and therefore you are not like : "whatever, just kill him" and Chiren being intentionally less developed in certain aspects to not make audience as unhappy in the end. (I think that since they developed her backstory way they did, she deserved more screen time and viewer should have been more impacted.)
    Minor chroniton aphasia in events is not problem, it makes movie better.

In total, I give it 8.5/10 as it does not break anything important, nor does it push something that's not meant to be there at all. Btw. all doors are open for next set of movies.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Anyone remembers those 90s series called: Babylon 5, i recently watched like 8 episodes of season 1, and i have to say it is brilliant even after 24 years, the drama, and the twists on board that space ship.

[​IMG]

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still one of the best SciFi TV shows imho.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Ends same way as original OVA. Just in less nostalgic fashion "earrings and arm".

14. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Isn't it Romantic - do NOT see this movie. It's one of the worst I've seen in a very long time. Not even good for a funny date movie. I fell asleep for part of it while on that date.

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Any actors or actresses you guys are in love with?
    Mine would be Nastassja kinski,she s just a beautiful creature i wish time had stopped in the 80s when she was just sexy as hell
    [​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Too many to mention... the forum would mark my list as spam it would be so long. I love the way women look and I'm a little older and have a wide range of appreciation.

17. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Dialogue Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige considers to be the best from the entire film:
    https://screenrant.com/black-panther-kevin-feige-favorite-scene/

This dialogue didn't stand out to me so I guess Kevin is seeing something I cannot see.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Dialogue has multiple messages. Some very outdated. That scene being considered as best just underlines how poor that movie actually is. But mostly it has been taken by thinking that "form over function" and "style over substance" is way to go.
    Not that other Marvel movies are way above it. It is just like little crowded staircase between 2 floors. But nobody really goes to 2nd floor.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Here is movie to evade, unless you want to see some brain-dead-production.
    Link takes you to only scene worth watching. Because it is so bad, that it is actually funny.
    "A Lonely Woman"

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It sounds good in theory but when you apply it to the actual context he's in it actually comes across as fantastically stupid. He compares himself to a group of individuals that in real terms had no options, no alternative ways out, no real means to bring about change, when the reality for him is that he is an air to the thrown of a nation that has the technological and financial capability to actually bring about change. It's also another reason why his overall approach when he is in power is so utterly smack in the head stupid. I mean the end scenes of the movie are literally Wakanda doing what he could have done had he been less of an idiot on a quest for vengeance.

He keeps getting batted about as one of the better bad guys but when you actually strip it back and apply the real context that he eventually finds himself in his motivation is no better than Maleki from the second Thor movie.

Fox2232 likes this.