AMD Navi spotted in MacOS Mojave

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2019.

1. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    I have never owned, nor ever will own, nor want to own, an Apple product and it will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Yes, somehow they're all the faults of all the clients despite the fact that the occurrence was unnaturally high on a particular part, while other parts implemented the same way are within normal ranges, sure.

The second part of your "history lesson" forgets the part where nvidia has a long-standing history of throwing their partners under the bus to remove implication on themselves when something goes wrong. They did this repeatedly over various issues, the closest one to me personally was their drivers crashing Windows Vista and early Windows 7 quite often, then shifting blame to Microsoft, despite the fact that the vast majority of crash dumps reported indicated the nvidia drivers making faulty memory operations. They eventually resolved these issues, but further soured an already strenuous relationship with Microsoft from their collaboration with the XBOX, which was, again, nvidia's fault.

Typical nvidia fanboy who ever only assumes that a criticism of nvidia is somehow just opposing brand loyalty.

Grow up, kid.

Clawedge, rl66 and carnivore like this.
  2. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    How is this news now? This happened last october or was it november

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The driver signing on Apple device doesn't work as on PC:
    - AMD work as is because drivers are already in OS distribution (like nearly everything a normal user would plug on his/her own machine... less stress btw).
    - Why AMD and not NVidia then? it's because Apple have chosen AMD to be distributed in OEM in their machine (same as NVidia on previous gen) it's Apple choise, not AMD or NVidia choise.
    -NVidia is 3rd party and doesn't care about mac user as it represent less each year (volume of mac and potential client too), also Mac user doesn't buy so much outside of the Apple world, and without signing it is a problem.

About the new CPU from Apple there is a growing rumor that it could be more ARM based (also the high end iPad pro is really at a powerfull laptop level).
    Apple is Apple and can't be compared to PC world despite it use the same hardware.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Even more on Apple topic whatever you have inside AMD, Nvidia, IBM, Foxconn or Intel you still have an Apple from Apple and user doesn't care what is the brand inside they just want to make it work as is.

5. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I'll talk a bit about the bright news, the negativity in this thread is killing me.
    The Navi 16 seems like the next go-to card, if priced correctly, within the $300 range, and then with similar to the 2060 performance, the same the rx 580 is almost on par with the 1060, this will be a great product, which I would gladly toss my cash for.

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Previous gen?
    Last MacBook Pro with NVIDIA graphics (optional included) was released in 2014, iMac 2013, Mac Pro 2009, Macbook 2009

They're more likely different configurations of one chip for laptops (or even gfx portion of APU), with the number indicating active CU's.

7. Driver signing is one of those things that would be great in a perfect world, but in reality ends up causing all of us a problem every now and then. I am kind of excited about navi, and am curious what advancements it will bring to the APU sphere. I think that APU (or at least, the concept) is probably the future of processors. I think it is only a matter of time before it makes more sense to have one SoC running everything than having multiple discrete chips. I am enjoying my rx590, but polaris is showing its age.....and i really want to build a navi/zen2 system. As far as apple goes.....i am rooting for amd, so i am just glad they are using their gpus. I personally hate using or working on apple products, and i die a little inside each time i do.

The Reeferman likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is that radeon6000 a codename?

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If memory serves there was an issue with Nvidia GPU's in Mac Book Pro's a while ago which led to mass returns of Mac Book Pro's because all the GPU's in that version of the Mac Book Pro fail after normal usage which Apple had to pay to fix.... I think it was around then that Apple started to not like Nvidia.

rl66 and schmidtbag like this.
  10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes, you are right, it was with the NVidia 8600 that overheat, NVidia point is that they sold the GPU only, and so it was Apple fault, and Apple point that the line of GPU was a defective stock...
    it end with everyone sue each other... and at the end it was a defective GPU stock that were sold and lawyer gain a lot of money from both side.

From my own experience a not satisfied client might always be right, founding a solution together is a nice way to save money and to make commercial relation strongher.
    NVidia did a total fail in this story.

11. Bitey

Bitey Member

GPU:
    Fury X fx5
    Nvidia sells a chip on a substrate in package to manufacturers , for 8600 they tried a thinner than industry standard substrate. When they failed industry experts said. told you so. Nvidia said it was the solder bumps failing. Eveyone else rolleyes and says no one else is having this problem. Cue nvidia goes back to accepted standard minimum thickness substrates.

Not coincidentally a 8600gts was the last Nvidia card I have bought

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No no no. You are not going to start more trolling. You are not going to throw any insults. Only warning.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While definately something to it, I honestly don't believe they'll grab the "HTPC" market, since such a one... never has existed in the first place. What exists are consoles and TVs with apps... and they (Sony) won't be making TVs anymore than they already do. But definately, the console is the blu ray player (already has since PS3), but there's actually not much more to it. And for that, honestly, you don't need 8 cores, or a 1440p GPU. While I do agree with you, that HTPC market lives off it being able to be used as a PC too, which the consoles never will do since it would need a much more open platform than a console platform.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It wasn't overheating, the devices operated within their intended temperature specification.

Industry wide solder for the time was transitioning to rohs and everyone got stung by "brittle bumps".

The XBOX 360 is an IBM and customized Radeon under the hood, it had the same issues.

Except history and scientific study into the matter (rather than news outlet scare mongering) tells a very different story. Recall the only sources that deep dived the issue happened to be written by a certain Charlie.

This has been apples business practice since inception, infact, Steve Jobs in real life behaved this way in his personal life.

"Apple" doesn't fall far from the tree, so to speak.
    Have you seen any of Louis Rossmann videos?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  15. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Interesting, I came to read a discussion about new GPUs, but all I see is just a bunch of people arguing about Apple and Nvidia.

Anyway, I hope that the new cards do come around August/September, it's around time that I want to upgrade. We also need more competition to again get normal prices on GPUs.

As for PS5m I don't think it will be interesting as HTPC, because I doubt that Sony will allow the same functionality as PC. On the other hand the PS5 could be somewhat more powerfull and with the pricing of GPUs now, could be an actual alternative to PC gaming.

Embra likes this.

16. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Now that consoles are getting some decent CPUs (Ryzen), we could actually see a generation of 60 FPS gaming. If that's the case, consoles for me will be far more attractive. If nothing else, multi-core utilization on PC ports should theoretically improve, so it seems like a win all around for me.
    My hopes however, are that devs don't just use all the extra power for higher resolutions and over the top polygon counts that don't add much to the experience, but we'll see.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Same here, so guys can we not turn this into a apple vs the world topic?

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I hate to ask this, but hasn't it always been like this, the consoles being pretty good hardware wise, when they were released? Let's look at it 4 years down the road again...
    Also, just as with old console ports, it always corresponds to how much a dev invests in a port... not what could have been done, but how much time they get by the publisher to even invest into a proper port.
    But, we all can hope that faster consoles / more widespread API adoption will bring less "limits" to the PC in the future.