Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti LIGHTNING Z

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I remember the days you could by the top line for $350

2. ScreamerRSA

ScreamerRSA Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 TUF OC
    Nice review Hilbert! Awesome card but way too rich for me :/

How come the GPU shootout results are more than the OC results? o_O

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Beautiful, beautiful card... so much better looking than the MSI Gaming Trio variant. It's just that I simply can't bring myself to appreciate the card fully due to the price tag... :oops:

I'm a guy who bought two MSI Lightings 680s back in the day at launch, and there were VERY few available, so it felt like a great achievement to get my hands on 2 at the same time (for a lot of money, but compared to this, it was cheapo). This Lightning 2080Ti however... probably will never even hit the shelves here and if by chance it does, 1600-1700 euros - holy shieeee... I couldn't afford to buy even one, lol.

But again, great engineering, great performance, great looks (love the gold + carbon black combo especially). ;)

PS - I still have one of those 680s as a "back-up" card :p, and even now, when I take it out it looks amazing. So yeah, from these POVs, hats down MSI, you did it again. I'd choose this over Asus for example any day.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We're listing the GPU score in the shootout, not the overall performance score.

5. clamatac

clamatac Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    nice review,

I read them all, thanks

6. lucasfrance

lucasfrance Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti + 1080
    Lovely card...But what about the fans lighing thing once the card is horiziontaly plugged on the MB (normaly with the fans at the bottom).
    The "RGB Fans LED effect" will not be directly visible (except if the card is vertically monted with a PCI extender of course).

7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Hilber, very nice review and great card but can you please start listing and comparing out of the box and maximum board power limits for each GPU that your review. This is one of the most important differentiating factors between various vendors. This is extremely important for overclocking and to minimize throttling. I know that Lightning has very high power limit, but it would be nice to know what it is and how does it compare to other 2080Tis.

Thanks!

8. nmkr

nmkr Guest

GPU:
    LIghtning Z 1080Ti
    Can you switch to the LN2 Mode and show us the Biosnumber and the Powerlimit that is available please?

i guess its the same marketing stunt as with the 1080ti lightning z, i can switch from 300W to 350W with LN2 BIOS and loose timing.

real xoc bios only provided from msi for hardcore clockers, for private persons that would try ln2 they didtn give out the XOC Bios or Special Afterburner

9. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Probably more close to 2K EUR. :p

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    39 fps @4k in BFV with RTX on. That's terribad when you've spent over 1500 pounds on this and i'm sure it'll cost even more than that because the sea hawk is 1600 already.

11. exzeth

exzeth Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti
    Mother of god... You can build TWO computers for the price of the current lineup cost... PLEASE AMD, release gpu's that cost half this price for the same performance & I just may switch when my 1080ti dies.

Moto_Life and Solfaur like this.
  12. Carlos

Carlos Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 ti
    Nice review!! I have one question, i have read the review at hexus.net and there this card is very hot and loud but here its cool and quiet, can anyone answer why?
    Thanks

13. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    When you get two sets of results like this its normally either due to different testing environment (like tested inside an air starved case), software issues (driver corruption e.t.c), hardware issues (heatsink loose, incorrectly applied thermal paste, bios bug e.t.c), or product damage.

**EDIT**
    Had a bit of a look at their review and noticed this line--
    "It is worth pointing out that our test system is configured for quiet operation by default - switching the fans on the be quiet! chassis from low to high does help bring down both temperature and noise."
    They are testing in a be quiet! Dark Base 700 case, in quiet mode, a case that isn't known for particularly good thermals, the harder you push these high end 2080Ti's the more wattage they use, the more wattage the more heat that needs to be removed from the case, higher airflow cases or a test bench will produce muuuuuch better thermals, I would say their card was just starved for air.

This is another reason why HH's method of open air benching is superior, you have no idea what kind of case the end user of the card will be using, so testing with any one case can make a card look better or worse than the end user will be expecting, at least with open air you know the best case results and can plan from there.
    Though I guess you could also test with a bad airflow case and just show worse case and everyone will be extra happy when it works better in their system lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ab is very powerfull software and the xtreme its not necessary
    now don't get me wrong if you show them you have a cold set up and are stumped by the stock bios limitations they sometimes slip you one.
    but lately the nv chips have been so efficient they don't take to the voltage increases older piggyer chips do

take a 2080ti for instance on just benches
    chilled water 2150-2200 on stock board what are the pro's getting? 2400-2500 frozen so its really hard to gain the few 100.
    so just cool it and even stock bios would be fine no need to reach much farther then the p/l for the most part.

15. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    Remember, we still have big tech pushing their 2000's LCD leftovers on us as new tech so 1080p is still being kept artificially alive and relevant like Ruth Bader Ginsburg

16. 999Anticlock9wiSe

999Anticlock9wiSe Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    39 fps @4k in BFV with RTX on
    more likely 15

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Really? Been meaning to call HH out on falsifying test results. Come on, at least make the troll post reflect that the thing between your ears was used.

yasamoka likes this.
  18. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Thanks Hilbert for the review, helpful as always! It is indeed a great card but the price as everyone else is saying, it's just crazy. I might be in the minority here but I find the design ugly and LED lights make it look like a cheap knockoff.

I'm wondering why the GTX 1080 ti was missing from the GPU VRAY benchmark. Other lower cards were included...

And please, keep the 1080p results!! I play on an ultrawide 1080p, so almost in-between 1080p and 1440p and does help a lot of people. Cheers!

19. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Not an Nvidia fan but wow that's a beautiful card and I hate RGB lighting but this is passable!

I give Nvidia CEO TWO leather jackets up!

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes that's true, but since 1440p adoption is even slower than 4K, I expect the jump from 1080p right towards 4K. But none of which you say is wrong :)