AMD Navi spotted in MacOS Mojave

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    it took a bit of seeking, but entries of AMDs next-gen Navi has surfaced in the Mojave MacOS version 14.2 as website Tonymacx86 spotted. As mentioned it took a bit of seeking, as the entries are ...

AMD Navi spotted in MacOS Mojave

chispy likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Likely to be the only addin graphics card for the foreseeable future as Apple are engaging in anti-competitive practices and refusing to permit nvidia drivers to function.

3. carnivore

carnivore Member

GPU:
    AMD HD7970
    Good if it's true. nVidia should taste it's own medicine for blocking it's own drivers in systems with AMD drivers way back.

4. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    Oh sure, let's forget all about how and why nvidia are, these days, stonewalled by Apple completely. Surely it has nothing to do with their past working history.
    Let's also forget how, for a time, nvidia was the only addon graphics option for Apple. I wonder why that ended?

At any rate, if you install Windows on their hardware you're free to drop in an nvidia card and it will work, but if you are running the OS on a non-Apple hardware (hackintosh,) you're actually in breach of the end-user license agreement.

Bottom line is, it's Apple's platform; what they choose to support is up to them, not anyone else. It's a niche platform that's basically just a standard PC branded and coupled with a custom OS, so what exactly is the argument here?

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I sure hope so and AMD releases Navy soon as we definitely need more competition on the video card side of things for a healthy and competitive market.

6. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    Useless on macOS where OpenGL and OpenCL are pretty much dead. No one cares about Metal, and Apple is stubborn about Vulkan.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wonder how long they'll do this before they switch on their own, self designed GPU like they did with the CPUs.

Kaarme likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    To my understanding, Nvidia drivers are still permitted, but no new Apple products will come with Nvidia GPUs, and I'm not too sure if they bothered adding support for anything newer than Maxwell. So if you have a Mac that's a couple years old with an Nvidia GPU, you should still be able to get Mojave with functioning support. Nvidia hasn't abandoned their Mac customers.

Nvidia is tasting their own medicine except it has nothing to do with AMD. Both Nvidia and Apple are being stubborn over their petty feud. When you have 2 extremely egocentric companies butting heads like this, nobody wins.

Doesn't matter - there's MoltenVK.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm pretty sure they already have an equal amount of engineers and lawyers working on it. Just like happened with their mobile GPU designs. They just don't want to license anything. They want to steal the technology and then use the flaws in the American justice system to win the case.

Killian38 and carnivore like this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    well boys (and the one or two gals), the floodgates are opening.

the Navi variants (guaranteed at least two in 1st launch, most likely 3) are being leaked by social media in Taiwan and China from 2nd and 3rd party suppliers and aib's.

i already mentioned the PS5 rumors (which gained steam over the last 48hrs) which isn't surprising as the console market basically paid for Navi development.
    the more interesting aspect to me is how quietly everyone is taking Sony basically absorbing the HTPC market, as custom builds will not be as cost effective or as attractive. when you have an 8 core (with or without HT) cpu and dedicated 1440p gpu (on a SoC) you are achieving a lot of functionality.

depending on Sony for the software/interface may be an issue, and it remains to be seen how much they know they have a tiger by the tail.

Embra, Fox2232 and Exodite like this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

The failed gpu's apple bought were implemented by apple, typical apple fanboy behavior is to forget that fact and blame the chip provider for the chip buyers implementation failure.

there was never any defects found in the G8x chips themselves and it was always down to brittle solder pads, as implemented by the likes of apple, dell and hp.

people like to forget the fact that ATI mobility based laptops had brittle 'bumps' too, just the market was so low at the time that it got barely any tech media traction.

http://www.ee.cityu.edu.hk/~ycchan/publications-ycchan/PeerReviewedJournals/PeerJournal-206.pdf

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44126&start=20#p433375

No.
    There is a management level decision that the OSX developers do not agree with at play here, Nvidia is shadow banned from providing drivers to Mojave.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  12. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Isn't it possible to get eGPU with Nvidia inside ?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

So it does not have to be an Hackintosh. It can be a true Mac in need of more power.

All is not black or white...

13. Wrinkly

Wrinkly Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 290 / 4GB
    Nvidia never played well with others.

14. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    All I want from the PS5 is an UHD BD-player, I'll trust the rest of the specs to be satisfactory regardless. :)

You do bring up an excellent point though, it's going to be the software that cinches it. If Sony can commit to wide codec support and excellent media functionality from the start, ie. unlike the PS4, they likely have a winner on their hands. It's likely too much to ask but if we had better storage access/control as well I think the PS5 could easily replace most HTPCs out there, unfortunately and kind of direct system access tend to be off limits for the consoles.

moo100times likes this.
  15. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    That's not quite true, Nvidia is quite lazy with drivers releases as most of AMD GPU works OOB or Out of Box without any further modifications to kext or drivers

I have tried RTX 2080Ti on OSX which is still not supported, Pascal is supported over High Sierra I think as I only use High Sierra right now, almost every GPU from AMD is supported and you don't need to do kext modifications

Just recommendation please check Nvidia driver releases on OSX

Mojave and Nvidia drivers I just hope they will release new drivers for OSX as right now I'm stuck with 7mb RTX 2080Ti like in High Sierra or Mojave

Nvidia is not banned from any OSX just what I know they need to support Metal API and looks like Nvidia refusing to support this, older Kepler GPU are supported or work OOB in Mojave but there is no CUDA support with this I'm not sure

If you wish to use Pascal GPUs in OSX then I would suggest use High Sierra, Turing support I don't think we will see anytime soon or within 2-3 months but maybe I'm wrong

Nvidia and Apple have their own issues or rather problems in previous years when Nvidia screwed Apple

Apple ecosystem is closed and therefore releasing anything there it will be problematic and they fight with Nvidia with their own medicine

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    That's what you get with Apple. It's to be expected. Any end user who does not wish to have Apple make his hardware choices for him had best eschew Apple, with all due haste. Apple doesn't care for nVidia--neither does Microsoft. How many remember that nVidia was chosen for the original xbox contract--and then, nVidia turned around and sued Microsoft for the privilege, and Microsoft paid them in a settlement, then said good-bye to nVidia for good? Can't say I blame them.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You haven't been paying attention.

All of nvidia's delayed OSX drivers have been because Apple delays signing.

nvidia cannot run drivers on the apple platform without apple signing.
    Pascal support was delayed because Apple wasn't coming to the table.

18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I very much applaud Lisa Su's continuing to hold AMD's cards close to the vest. I mean, what's the point of letting competitors know where you are going months in advance? I don't see it, myself. Better to prepare the product for shipping and then play your cards! All along I did not think RVII was going to be AMD's only gaming entry this year. We shall see...!

chispy likes this.
  19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

This I have heard as well few months back but heard different story from Apple developers

I literally hate this digital signing of drivers or approval in OSX or any SW

Went through small hell with this and as well our company went through this when I worked for them

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

20. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    You mean like the ps3 did?