Mortal Kombat 11

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Dec 7, 2018.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Pre-ordering on Steam, take my money!

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus

-Tj- likes this.
  3. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    It looks absolutely incredible. I'm having nerdgarsms, the 1990s MK fan in me is making a come back for the first time since 2011's MK9 (which up to now is my all time favorite MK game). I was disappointed with MKX, mostly due to the story and the overall gritty, colorless (generalization, gist is that it didn't look 'vibrant' at all) appearance; along with a so-so roster in the end (and didn't give a rat's ass about pretty much all the DLC characters, maybe except Triborg, that one was alright).

But THIS... oh my Lord... Mortal Kombat is BACK baby! It actually looks like a complete makeover / remaster of MK9 really. They took everything it did well from it, took the gear system concept of Injustice 2 and threw all of that in a steroid soup. I cannot wait for it. Heck even the reveal of the new character makes me want to play him too (I'm usually not too keen on new characters from the start; I'm a very 'traditional' MK type of guy). But Geras looks INSANE, I like his design, his voice, his moves. Also Skarlet, which I thought was just "ok" in MK9, now looks really cool. Erm, no I mean, Kool.

Just can't wait. This is the first fighting game to get me this excited since MK9 all the way back freakin' 8 years ago. Crazy how quickly time goes by.

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I also thought it looks amazing. UE4 i think.

WhiteLightning likes this.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    MK2 arcade is still my favorite. My best friend and I called sick in school to learn everything from the strategy guide. When we finally got to the arcade we were dominating guys that were twice or even three times our age. We were 12 at the time. That game is etched in my brain forever.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yes check in videos at the top

-Tj- likes this.
  7. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I've been on your boat my friend. I was exactly 10 years-old in 1992 when MK1 was released. And it blew my innocent kid's brain out, no regrets to this day. At the time, having barely any experience in life in general being just a kid, much less having experience in video gaming, the actual genre of fighting games in and of itself was already a pretty new thing to me. Prior to seeing MK1 the only 'fighting' games I knew of were Golden Axe and Double Dragon, where I was 'fighting' enemies. It never occurred to me that you'd have a whole game dedicated to the concept of just two characters fighting each others and THAT was the game. Heck, I'm not sure if I ever heard of Street Fighter back then; and if I did, it passed right through from one ear to the other without making a single difference (side note: I do love me some Street Fighter today, but back then it was a completely different story).

But... Mortal Kombat? Oh boy... OH BOY do I still remember when I first saw that. And the first time I saw the Pit stage fatality (who would possibly forget that one). It was sort of disgusting, but fascinating at the same time that graphics for a game could be so damn good (for a fighting game, MK1 already was ahead of the curve). I still remember all the "Oooooh!!!"'s, and the "Aaaaahh!!!"'s and the "DAAAAAMN!!!"'s from all the young kids (well, should say young boys; vast majority of course) whenever someone playing it (and the line behind watching) would do some move that some guys around never saw before. And every time a Finish Him was done our minds exploded collectively around the cabinet. We just couldn't believe it that it could be that violent and graphic, but fun at the same time. And what to say about all the weird stories of made-up Fatalities from the gossip alone? We only had magazines, no Internet. Anyone could come up with stories of how he saw a non-existing move. Those were the golden days of Mortal Kombat (and, well... of arcade gaming in general really).

However, when MK2 came out... that thing... that thing was THE crap back then. Yeah, MK2 profoundly changed my mind about video gaming - again -, and changed my views once more about fighting games (which I finally did get the 'concept' of at that point, thanks to MK1 of course) and how they really had to be taken seriously (by me, that is). However, I was absolutely disappointed, initially, by (vanilla) MK3. "Where is SCORPION!!??", I STILL remember to this day how I actually felt when I first gazed upon the character selection screen the first time I saw the MK3 cabinet at my local arcade place. I didn't have money on me, just passing by and I thought I'd go in to spend some time around just watching others play some games. My initial reaction was, of course: "HOLY crap!!! MK3!!?!?!?!?!?". My heart beat went sky-high real quick. But I knew I had to wait until some guy would come and play it. However, it DID occur to me then "Why is no one playing it?", there were some people in the place; not many though maybe 7 or 8 guys around. So I stood there next to the cabinet and watching some other guys play other games around and at some point one guy and his friend finally came to the cabinet; they asked me if I wanted to play it and I just said "nah" (didn't want to say I didn't have money, lol). They started to play and my eyes just became salmon-sized round and never blinked again until the character selection screen came up. I looked around and... looked... and LOOKED again... "WTF" is what came to my mind then.

No Scorpion AND no Raiden?! (and side note we had to wait until MK Trilogy before Raiden came back in MK3, crazy... no wait... Krazy). To this day I will NEVER understand why they thought "Yeah, ok, this is fine" internally and let go such a meager game that was vanilla MK3 without two VERY iconic (already that point after MK2 especially) characters and thought they could "get away" with it. Nope. Not in my book. I remember walking out of the arcades feeling all upside down inside, felt almost sick. I thought "Ok well crap, frack MK then!" (That was a 13 years-old boy mind you; I was young... way too young to form a more critical opinion; I wanted to be impressed; and MK1 and MK2 delivered ten times over previously; MK3 really felt like a cute "moew" from a kitten, when both MK1 and MK2 felt like a freakin' T-Rex roaring to your face (especially MK2).

And by the time Ultimate MK3 came out I had sort of 'moved on' (MK3 vanilla really did 'lose me' pretty much immediately). I remember friends at school did mention to me things like "Dude you should really try UMK3 it's much better!", but the 'damage' had been done for me. I did eventually "found out" that UMK3 was actually fun when I finally decided to go and rent it. But it was a little too late when I did (it was the SNES version btw). I did appreciate it (albeit it took me I think two rentals to get the hang of it and get 'into it'). I'd say - ultimately - (pun intended) that as far as 'variations' of MK3 are concerned it took me until MK Trilogy on the N64 before making my 'come back' to the franchise, at least as much as I used to play it with MK2 (MK2 was the one I played the most from the original trilogy, especially the SNES version since I didn't go to arcades that often at my age; nor did I have much spare money to spend on arcade gaming). A year or so passed (after MK Trilogy on N64) when I saw it in the bargain box at my local store, bought it; and honestly really enjoyed it.

Thanks to that later variation of MK3 (MK Trilogy that is) I could finally play a very solid, full-of-content MK3 game. It grew on me over time, but it was a slow process. A lot of people would know what I'm talking about if I use the Street Fighter 3 Next Gen / Third Strike examples (I.E. when they come out you're not really 'feeling it', not very receptive to it or interested; then you do get to play it... then play it a bit more... and more... but it all happens over years, not just a few weeks; a gradual, very slow burn process that eventually makes you realize "you know what, it's actually a VERY good game"). Well, MK Trilogy really became my "Third Strike" of the MK Franchise. Because, at some point (up until just before MK9 came out) MK Trilogy really did become my all time favorite MK game, with of course MK2 VERY closely following behind (and I actually did still play some MK2 matches from time to time and still enjoyed them). But yeah... for me, it's all about MK9 (up until now anyway). For me MK9 at release had pretty much the same impact that MK2 had when it was new. Probably because I had not enjoyed any new MK game since MK Trilogy and MK2. For me, it was WAY overdue.

Because, indeed, ALL the Mortal Kombat games that followed; yes even including MK4 were complete misses for me. Name them, I played them all. I didn't like any of them (no, not even Armageddon). For me, it was all about and always remained MK1, MK2 and MK Trilogy (and some UMK3 on SNES). I appreciated that MK 'moved to 3D' with MK4 since at the time of course we were all 'moving to' 3D; it was the trend, it was the way the industry moved forward and honestly I don't think my young self at the time (and under the same industry standards context) would have wanted it another way. BUT... it was very poorly executed for my tastes. By the time "MK is finally in 3D!" was a thing I was already playing others like Tekken and very happy with those instead. Plus, I wasn't a fan of the new characters at all. In fact when I saw that 'weird guy' on the arcade cabinet for MK4 (it was Quan Chi) I didn't even think it was a Mortal Kombat game (the first time I saw it that is). But that's nothing new. The vanilla version of MK3 is the one where I started to be hesitantly 'receptive' with new characters. The only MK game where new characters felt like they were always "part of it" was MK2, and it's weird. I can't explain why it had that effect, maybe because MK1 was still too new at the time anyway (it had been out for barely a year and a half when MK2 came out) and I didn't have the time, so to speak, to 'acclimate' and familiarize myself to the original MK1 roster; so when MK2 came out the new characters didn't bother me at all and I got used to them quickly (out of the new characters Baraka and Mileena were my favorites).

Anyway I keep on blahbling. I'm an MK fan and a 90s kid. It's in my blood. I ended up not really liking MKX (I don't "hate" it, it's just... meh, don't feel it; a miss for me). But my gut feeling only brings me positive feelings with MK11. I genuinely think they got something strong going there. I cannot wait for it, Day One purchase guaranteed.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Undying and jbscotchman like this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    It truly is one of the best gaming series of all time. It is because of MK that the ESRB was created and works perfectly. It's no different than an R rated movie. If parents don't won't their kids playing violent games then be a better parent!

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    WHY... the hell... do they insist on ruining great looking gameplay with such awful music?

Undying and drandiiski like this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Cuz' it's mortal wompat

game looks good anyhow!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    -Tj- likes this.

11. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Hopefully, I say this without checking out footage yet, The super moves / xrays flow a bit better without cutting to 30fps locked videos.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Injustice 2 had pretty bad performance issues like frame drops if you received legendary gear (took them until enchantress update to improve it!) at the end of a match, unpredictable ctd's, and certain characters and moves having problems thanks to denuvo. I'm gonna wait this one out. What's the microtransaction situation in this? Loot boxes had no cost in I2 but you effectively had to pay to change the look of gear with source crystal premium currency.

cerebus23 likes this.
  13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Looks gory and great, would still prefer Tekken 7 over any fighting game, but that's a great addition.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Showed my wife the trailer (the fan edited one with the MK song in place)... she said I had to get it, so we could play it together.

fantaskarsef and jbscotchman like this.
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    You've got a great wife my man!

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I like to think so. :)
    She openly encourages my gaming, telling me to buy a game when/if I'm interested in it. Last time I rebuilt my PC she was the reason why, she pushed me into finally doing it.

She's always said, she likes that I'm a "gamer". She knows where I am, I'm not out at a bar or off doing something stupid or dangerous. I'm in the back of the house. Always here.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This is actually a pretty good interview.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Such a friendly interview. You can tell they did this before.

19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    My hype level has now reached hyper-space level! :eek:

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus