Scanline sync is AMAZING.

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by alexander1986, Jan 17, 2019.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Just wanted to share my experience and results after some experimenting and help from a friend who plays a lot of PUBG, and I play a lot of Fortnite, I wanted to try out scanline sync but couldnt figure out what values to put in rtss and what to put in the rtss fortnite game profile, so my friend sent me his PUBG RTSS profile and I just copied everything in the [Framerate] section to my own fortnite profile and tried it out,

the result is incredible, I have to say honestly its crazy !

if anyone plays fortnite or pubg (same engine) you can also try this, maybe it also works for other games, this is for 1920x1080 resolution anyway:

I changed from these, my old profile values: (limiting to 120 fps with rtss and vsync off gave me much better result for some reason than ingame 120 fps limit and vsync off)

[Framerate]
    Limit=120
    LimitDenominator=1
    LimitTime=0
    SyncScanline0=0
    SyncScanline1=0
    SyncPeriods=0

To this:

[Framerate]
    Limit=0
    LimitDenominator=1
    LimitTime=0
    SyncDisplay=0
    SyncFlush=1
    SyncHotkeys=1
    SyncScanline0=-180
    SyncScanline1=0
    SyncTimeout=1
    SyncPeriods=0

vsync off ingame and forced off in nvidia drivers, no limit on fps ingame, max prerendered frames 1, this is on a lightboosted asus vg248qe monitor @ 10% lightboost effect, 120 hz @ 1920x1080, the result is 99.99% lack of tearing, input lag same as no vsync , but my aim and vision/clarity and ability to react fast, and precise is so much higher/better now because of no tearing and no stutter! Its like night and day honestly !

gpu load is never more than 50% or so, I play with all quality settings at the lowest anyway except for FXAA enabled in nvidia drivers to remove aliasing a bit, as im bottlenecked by my old i5-3470 cpu but I can imagine if you crank up details and put a heavier load on gpu then there will be tearing, but anyway thats it, those scanline sync values might not even be optimal for the game or my setup but the result is incredible either way,

If anyone is using lightboost/ULMB and playing pubg or fortnite, I urge you to try this! if you are running 1920x1080 like me or even if you play in another resolution you can still copy paste the values and just tweak the scanline values above I would guess, only important thing is vsync off, might even get super good results without lightboost/ULMB its just that im so used to the CRT-like clarity of strobing I will never play without it [​IMG] cant stand motion blur,

anyway thats all I have, just wanted to share this! put those values in your pubg/fortnite RTSS profile (might even be good for other games) disable vsync everywhere, tweak scanline values if needed / other resolution than 1080p, max prerendered frames 1, put unlimited framelimit ingame and see what happens! also try to set game gfx quality settings at some level where your gpu is not heavily loaded, for me its never over 50-60% max what I can see, can use that as a guide perhaps,

anyway back to gaming now it feels like a new game lol [​IMG] feels like playing on a high hz CRT with vsync off only that it looks exactly like vsync on, zero tearing and stutter ! frametime graph is completely flat 99.99% of the time with 120 fps 8.3 ms rock solid [​IMG]

full system specs if interested:

asus vg248qe monitor lightboost enabled @ 10% @ 120 hz 1920x1080
    i5-3470 cpu @ 3.5 ghz slight overclock
    8gb ddr3 ram
    some cheap toshiba SATA SSD drive
    evga 1060 gtx 6gb running in "k-mode" with evga precision X OC app (forces boost clocks on core and ram at all times regardless of gpu load)
    win 10 1803 with game mode disabled, "disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked in the game.exe, high precision event timer disabled in bios and spectre/meltdown patch disabled aswell with Inspectre app (old cpu so squeezing out everything I can from it lol)

thats it, Cheers !

2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, I'm glad that it works well for you! You do have enough GPU headroom to have Scanline sync working properly. I's a really cool feature when it works as it's intended to. Dark Souls 3 plays amazingly well with it too, so I have guaranteed quick reactions.

3. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    ahh dark souls 3 :p have not played it in a long time but you made me want to install it again :p

but thought that game was hardcoded to 60 fps max btw? what hz/fps u run the game at? curious because I forgot how I fixed the game to feel good last time lol! cheers

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I' not 100% sure, but I believe that there is a way to unlock the fps on pcgamingwiki. I have a 60 fps monitor, and I use scanline sync to get that in DS3. As I've said, it works really well for me!

alexander1986 likes this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Neat! Gonna try that myself too.

And DS:Remastered. Lot of GPU headroom there (running DSR @ 4K atm but native 1080p is acceptable if s-sync needs more headroom).

6. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    ahh, it explains it kind of if you have 60 hz monitor, since game is hardcoded to 60 fps max (because of physics in the engine tied to 60 fps), you will for example get banned if playing online with over 60 fps via hack or unlock mods etc :p

I had a good experience just setting the darksouls3 .exe to "let 3dapp decide" in vsync settings in nvidia control panel on my 120 hz lightboost monitor, no tearing and input lag felt ok, but in my case with 120 fps monitor lightboosted and game running at 60 fps, maybe is worth it for me to test scanline sync and/or max prerendered frames 1 to see if input lag goes down a bit :p will test anyway !

emperorsfist likes this.
  7. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Have fun! One thing, though. S-sync seems to have some issues with DSR/VSR, when it can't hide the tearline correctly, even if there is enough headroom GPU-wise (it seems that downsampling kinda messes up the way it works - doesn't seem to happen when using GeDoSaTo). Strangely enough, I've found out that using Ssync AND Vsync (driver-based) helps to rectify the tearline issu, withou adding back Vsyn levels of input lag... I don't think it's a placebo effect. You may try it for yourself with DS: Remastered, if you want. If so, let me know, if I am crazy or not...

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    There's no harm in trying. I get better levels of input lag this way, than with max prerendered frames set to 1, or driver based Vsync.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Btw does amount of pre-rendered frames actually even matter with s-sync? As vsync is effectively off and framerate is capped.

With Vsync On obviously set as low as possible (I've used pre-render limit 1 with vsync so far).

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    MPRF comes into effect whenever the framerate target cannot be reached due to a GPU bottleneck. Whether that bottleneck is due to the GPU being fully saturated or because of vsync doesn't matter much. The end result is the same. When that happens, the CPU runs ahead of the GPU by preparing more frames than the GPU can render, which is when MPRF has an effect on input lag.

With s-sync, the bottleneck can never be due to vsync, but only due to a CPU or GPU bottleneck. If the framerate drops because the GPU is maxed, MPRF will affect input lag.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Right, thanks! Again.

Tried scanline sync with DS:Remastered and works beautifully, -70 seems to be sweet spot for me.

Btw hadn't monitored usages before and game is really easy on the GPU, at 1080p clocks drop to 420 MHz and still usage is about 30 - 40 % only.

Game doesn't look half bad so bit surprised. Naturally 4K will make the card go full boost but even there usage is about the same.

Sync did work with DSR 4K but didn't try to stabilize the tearline yet. However native res 1080p was better by initial impression.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    scanline sync?

13. Licentious Howler

Licentious Howler Guest

GPU:
    AMD Vega 56 8 GB
    Does anybody know if Scanline Sync needs to meet some display standard requirements to function?
    I have an AMD Vega 56 that can use the feature flawlessly under Windows 10 (1809) via DisplayPort (connected to an Acer XF270HU monitor that supports DP1.2), but when connecting a generic DP>VGA converter/adapter to a VGA CRT monitor (Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200), the feature suddenly stops functioning and just lets the frames (and tearing) run wild despite me changing no settings excepting configuring the monitor to be the only connected display. All games tested with Exclusive Fullscreen btw, FreeSync disabled, Enhanced Sync turned off, no triple buffering, and driver sync options set to "Off, unless application specifies", Radeon Software version 18.12.3 (from the "Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1 Optional" package).

Furthermore, I have another GPU connected on a lower PCI-E slot (2.0, x8, I'm pretty sure); an Nvidia GTX 750 that I tested on the Acer LCD monitor via HDMI that surprisingly didn't work with Scanline Sync. I also tried its native analog DVI-I output to the VGA CRT monitor via passive adapter with the same failing results. Vsync settings set to "Use 3D Application Settings", no triple buffering, 411.71

I also tried the Nvidia card under a Windows XP 32-bit (SP3+updates) environment with the final 368.81 driver with the same connections and same failing results. Unlike S-Sync, the FPS limiter has always worked and still works for me regardless of my settings or hardware/software/Windows OS. All of my testing was done on RTSS 7.2.1 Beta 4. I also tried adjusting the Scanline Sync value even though logically speaking it shouldn't make a difference besides where the tear line resides... to no success.

I'm kind of suspecting maybe the old HDMI spec on the GTX 750 doesn't meet some requirement to get this working (if such a thing exists for this RTSS feature) and obviously VGA wouldn't.

Thanks for your time if you read all of that! : P

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm well if this need hdmi or dp that rules me out from using this on my monitor my monitor might have hdmi but my gpu on has one hdmi out and that is for my 55" 4k tv

15. Licentious Howler

Licentious Howler Guest

GPU:
    AMD Vega 56 8 GB
    Yeah, it'd be nice to get confirmation if this feature can work over VGA.
    Obviously CRT monitors are my thing, but I'm sure it has practical uses here and there besides that.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    CRT would be my thing to if I had room for them and they still made them, CRT imo is still king where it maters, which black being black and next to no motion blur comparied to LCD/LED tech MS response VS NS response. To this day I yet to see any LCD/LED come close CRT and that blur still drive me crazy to this day :(

17. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That’s abslutely not true, it has zero dependence on connection type and of course it can work with CRT. Configure it properly, search how to configure it in multimon environment, I won’t be able to help with that.

18. MiMiK

MiMiK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    amma try this later tonight. about a week ago i started getting microstutter in pubg [nothing in my system or ingame was changed] and i never had any issues before [even before ver1.0 went live pubg was running pretty smooth] tried just about everything to mitigate the issue. been stumped

19. MiMiK

MiMiK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    ok now i remember why i had uninstalled afterburner from my pc... i cant get it to run with pubg. every time i launch the game it just closes. it works fine with other games...

how you get it to work with pubg?

20. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    You could just install Rivatures Statistics. It has a standalone download without Afterburner, and it's all you need to try Scanline sync out. Afterburner really isn't required.