Review: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming Z (6G)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Question is: "What AMD has in between RX-590 and Radeon 7?"
    "And what do you expect they'll do about this situation within next 6 months?"
    It is not issue of capacity. It is issue of bandwidth. And issue of processing those larger textures by GPU.

In case total VRAM capacity would be issue, fps would drop drastically and stutter-fest would be noticeable even for lemur.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    First chill out a bit buddy, second its not nice to shout at people ;)

4K may be a standard in movies and TV but NOT gaming yet.

consoles may be advertising 4K but its all trickery and fancy effects with crap load of blur

3. H1TMANza

H1TMANza Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I know this is a painful request, but could you perhaps test BF V in DX11 in future . I just feel DX12 is a mess and shouldnt be used to judge any graphics cards performance.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't worry he wont last long here with that nerd rage he's got.

Passus likes this.

5. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'm honestly curious now, what's the price delta between Vega 56 and the RTX 2060 on your end locally?

Because here it's pretty much equal, though obviously with the RTX 2060 being so new it's anyone's guess how it'll develop.

The reviews I've read puts Vega 56 within 5% of the RTX 2060 so I figure either relative pricing would have to be very different on your end or you have extremely low hopes for any future GPU development.

Which I wouldn't blame anyone for mind you, it's not like the last 3 years have been a huge bundle of excitement on the GPU front. :(

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For me...
    PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 is $340
    Asus ROG Vega 56 is $700

Asus RTX2060 is $350

As MSI and Asus are my preferred brands, it's really a no-brainer to go with the RTX2060 there....

With 7nm being so new and given the expected price/performance of the Radeon VII, I have fairly low expectations for Navi at this point. My upgrade isn't planned until mid-summer, so AMD still has time to pull off something big, if they actually can. I'm just not going to get my hopes up at this point. The RTX2060 is roughly double the performance of my current RX470 so paying the higher price for a Vega 56 is not an option. That's why I've kept the RX470 to begin with. AMD just has nothing to "upgrade" to that makes sense right now.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I need something but I am not getting another 1k+ card to boost guys xp points in bfv
    since I don't really game too much,waiting for ss4 1/2 and I can get bfv for free with a nv card
    .i have been using a msi 750 ti but that wont do, I am holding off on a new monitor.
    I wish we would get a 2070ti or a busted 2070gpu on a 256 bit bus 2060 ti sooner then later.
    msi card sold out at the egg the trigger on 1 this week
    new cards are so boring now a days but whatever

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't really NEED something new. A GTX1060 would easily accomplish my goal, but I prefer to buy current gen cards when I do get around to upgrading.

I play Roblox with my son (him on XBox and me on PC), TL, TL2, DA:O, DA2 and occasionally BF4 or SimCity. My current build runs everything (except SimCity) with more than acceptable framerates. I just want something new. As you said though, new cards are boring now a days. I get more excited about new processors...and even those are getting boring quickly. I always thought ray tracing coming to consumer graphics cards would be exciting, but, even it is of no interest to me now....

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That's a pretty significant variance, yikes!
    Understandable.

FWIW Radeon 7 is supposedly 29% faster than Vega 64 according to AMDs testing, with suitable amounts of salt applied I'd say a new architecture should be able to outdo that. Applied to a suitable performance range that leaves me hopeful Navi should be able to comfortably outperform and/or come in notably cheaper than the Vega 56/GTX 1070Ti/RTX 2060 tier of cards. Same goes for Nvidia's 7nm architecture obviously.

Though in either case we're going to be waiting a while, which perhaps is the best reason to consider a RTX 2060 if you're in need of an upgrade now.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    If only it was that simple.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    SLI is only avalible on the 2080 and 2080Ti this gen. Nvidia is being an ass with that.

13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    SLI is not supported on the 2060 cards just like its not available on 1060 either

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well I need something I would have got a 580 or a 1060 pos already.

as for sli this Is the card the brainiacs can use to break the issues since they are cheaper.
    was ready to get two 2070's but they f'ed us on that,since I always get two cards just in case I break one ...er I mean is was doa.
    2060's would still tank at higher resolutions anyway
    In the meantime the amd cards have orgy's mixing and matching :p

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Do any cable providers actually carry content in native 4k? Last i recall, Directv had 1 channel and some special content. Until most major networks are broadcast in 4k, i wont consider it a standard.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No but I think most people consider Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu/etc TV now-in-days

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    streamed 4k and native 4k media are two different things. Streamed 4k rarely looks better than a standard bluray.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well yeah the bitrate is lower then a blu-ray but the resolution is still native 4K (UHD).

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Color compression kills any gain from resolution. 4K will not be standard until TV broadcast of both NFL and World Cup. That is the point it will be a "standard".

20. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    Why does not HDMI 2.1 ???