AMD Radeon VII will become available in reference design only

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2019.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes but there is no head with this one (the plug on the card is not a display but a sync connector)

2. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    I was sarcastic.

rl66 likes this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i know i was wanting to reply to the one you replied... but i was too fast :)

4. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    What type of fun do you have with custom coolers? Since the RTX cards were released, all AIB partners make the same looking cards. Even the MSI Gaming with it's red cooler disappeared. Not to mention that RTX FE cooler was the best part of the RTX series, with low temperatures and absolutely tolerable fan noise level. This Radeon VII reference cooling looks decent too. If you meant the RGB thing, well, that's the least important for me.

5. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    As you said, NV tested different monitors, but it's not guaranteed that one's will work flawlessly. There is Freesync 2.0, what's the story with that? Plus MAYBE AMD cards that have this support from start have less problems than NV. Anyway, if you check pricing, and if you really get that 2080 performance for the same price, why wouldn't you buy a card with twice the amount of VRAM?

6. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    My four original Titans have no problem doing so.... Even clocked at 1206mhz...

Still never understood the gimped fashion the rest of the cards have been release on regarding the lack of fp64 compute capabilities.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So... you buy more expensive professional cards with a bigger price tag? Wasn't that difficult to guess ;)

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I mentioned it yesterday (https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...ults-from-26-games.424816/page-7#post-5628273) after having seen something over at TweakTown...but it's important to mention that this is only a rumor so far and I cannot find any evidence on AMD confirming that officially so @Mr_Twinky isn't right or wrong here. But it's worth mentioning that this news has spread quite a lot so far.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, first i prefer custom coolers over stock ones, they are usually better and allow brands to "express" differently from each other. Second, this trend of Nvidia and AMD occasionally selling GPUs directly bypassing their partners is something that concerns me a lot because if this continues then thereĀ“s the chance of custom cards to disappear from the map...

10. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    HBM specs would allow 8 GB version indeed. However no-one is making 2 GB stacks of HBM2 so that's not going to happen.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yes it would have.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    It's not guaranteed that Freesync will work on various displays but many people are having great success and it will only be a matter of time before you can just Google the monitor in concern and know upon purchasing. So I should make purchase decisions based on VRAM alone? The VRAM is very impressive on Radeon 7 but if it doesn't prove to offer advantage over the 2080 with 8 GB then it is meaningless to me. Then we come back to the fact that Nvidia already has Ray Tracing albeit in one game at the moment. Nvidia cards have specific cores for ray tracing duties known as RT cores. If Radeon 7 ties in performance with the 2080 the other aspects of the 2080 make it a better buy in my personal opinion. If the Radeon 7 beats the 2080 pretty significantly then I would go that route it really is pretty simple. At the same price though and same non-ray traced performance the tensor and RT cores on the 2080, along with Gsync and Freesync compatibility, represent a better value to me than 16 GB of memory that has purpose beyond my use case.

14. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    And that is totally fair enough. Each to there own. If everyone had the same tastes and needs, it would be a boring old world we live in.

HandR, Undying and DeskStar like this.
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Looks like you were right after all :)
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...eon-vii-custom-aib-cards-inbound-as-well.html

Mr_Twinky likes this.

16. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    No.....i buy what i want and is the best at that time. For whatever reason i need it for. Price is never an issue, but these cards and their capabilities versus pricing is the issue...