GeForce GTX series 980 Ti and below will not get Adaptive Sync Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2019.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Read properly, please.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I guess his point is that AMD enabled Freesync over HDMI all the way back to 200 series so theoretically Nvidia should be able to do the same for Maxwell on HDMI 2.0 (200 series didn't have 2.0).

My response to this would be maybe but I also wouldn't really look at Manuel's post as a statement on that. No one in that thread mentioned HDMI and he may not even be aware of the status of Freesync/HDMI support on Nvidia from the engineering team. Perhaps it's possible Nvidia will support it on Maxwell with HDMI and not DP.

Fair point but I still think people reading too much in to that post.

3. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    So... reading the Displayport Wiki, version 1.2 does NOT support Adaptive Sync, only 1.2a which is what AMD's Freesync requires in order to work.
    And reading the cards specifications, none of the Maxwell cards have 1.2a, including the GTX 980 Ti only list Displayport version 1.2. No a, meaning Adaptive Sync is not supported.

I think some of the confusion happened when Nvidia launched a tool for users with monitors that had Displayport 1.3 and 1.4 to be able to use them with their Maxwell and Pascal cards to be able to use them (https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html).
    That's a firmware update and... heck, I don't own any Maxwell cards, (although I do have a 1050 Ti, if I'm not mistaken, but that PC doesn't use Displayport monitor, so pointless to update it). But I'm pretty sure you DON'T upgrade your connector with merely a firmware update. There's waaay too many changes.

So... Yeah, judging by how fast everyone is quick when jumping into conclusions, plus how much hate people tend to have for either company (AMD, Intel, Nvidia), this sentence ("Sorry but we do not have plans to add support for Maxwell and below.") was pretty... well, better wording would have worked a LOT better. Also could avoid all this talk.

On the other hand... HDMI on the 980 Ti is listed as 2.0. That does open a door, but.. Seriously, they have finally agreed to support Freesync over Displayport, chill a little bit, just maybe?
    I mean, I'm an AMD user whenever I can, current build is all AMD, but I'm really freaking happy about Nvidia finally supporting Freesync, that means my next build won't necessarily have to be AMD just because I bought a quite expensive Freesync monitor that wouldn't work as well as it could with an Nvidia card not so long ago.

Loophole35 likes this.
  4. Razoola

Razoola Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 (MSI gaming)
    This is just Nvidias way of trying to get 980TI and earlier to buy a new GFX card given their sales have been so poor since the RTX release. Reality is their RTX cards are overprived and until the prices come down this kind of tatic is going to do nothing more than paint the company in more bad light.

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Gave my dad my MSI 980ti Gaming today and my Z97 Hero and I5 4690k was surprised how well it still plays games my Dad is really pleased shame it is not being supported still a very capable GPU

6. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    There is no time to chill if the support is available technically. Put the pressure on nvidia . That is how works. Nivida want to generate as much of the sales as they can to force maxwell users to buy new HW.

7. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    Well... I guess you can see it that way too. My point is, everybody that bought a Maxwell card did not expect Freesync support. One thing would be to question the Maxwell generation's not so phenomenal DX 12 performance. Then again, not that many games are using DX12 or even using it well.

But Freesync support? Not saying you shouldn't pressure Nvidia, especially if you own a Maxwell card. Or any Nvidia card, at all. Me? Whenever I can, I'm keeping my money away from Nvidia.

8. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    Nvidia didn't have to do any of this at all but people still find something to complain about. They could decide to give away free hardware but you had to pay for shipping and you know people would be complaining about that too... If its so easy go do it.

Stormyandcold and Aura89 like this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yeah I was sorta thinking the same thing. It's a bit of a pleasant surprise that they decided to support Adaptive Sync at all. Let's face it - Maxwell is outdated. Sure, the 980Ti is still decent by today's standards and the 970 is still a solid 1080p@60FPS GPU, but, I'm pretty sure there's just a select few people who own these GPUs who legitimately cares about getting Adaptive Sync support. I'm sure most people who potentially cared about such things opted for G-Sync. There's a lot I don't like about Nvidia's priorities but this is not one that I fault them in. Nvidia's current Adaptive Sync support isn't even that great, so why would they focus on something they want people to phase out anyway?

Aura89 and Moto_Life like this.
  10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Quite a shame but that to be expected, mine 980TI is going strong and the next upgrade, if it happen, will be AMD Navi or nVidia 3000 series, depends who plays 2019 games better, mainly Cyberpunk 2077.

As for supported monitors, i have the MG278Q, which is supported as well...

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the problem with that is, maxwell already supports adaptive sync on mobile, which doesn't use a gsync module, and uses embedded displayport.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

yasamoka likes this.
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    we are still talking about the same standard thats used essentially, and nvidia has a working version of adaptivesync on maxwell. its one thing to repurpose a power saving feature to do something else it was never designed for, but nvidia clearly has an implementation that works as intended and uses the same standard that dp1.2 adaptive sync does, using the same output hardware

edit: https://hackaday.io/project/4765-me...een-on-a-boom-arm/log/15538-part-2-hello-ipad
    to give perspective, you can jerry rig an ipad screen to a dp conncector using a simple board, what is essentially a passive adapter, if you can do that, I see no reason why the maxwell cards can't support adaptive sync, if there are no specific software blocks you could plug a screen from a gsync supporting laptop to a desktop card via DP and it should work.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Because you can manipulate the VESA spec to behave in ways it shouldn't, they aren't planning to.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no we aren't

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the uefi tool updates the list of available display modes so that big format and high refresh/resolution gsync displays would be available at Post instead of having to wait till the driver was loaded.

the tool has no affect on the device once the display driver is loaded.

17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Please explain then exactly how the the standard for adaptive refresh via eDP used by nvidia for mobile Gsync, differs from standard DP adaptive refresh enough to make them incompatible and/or out of spec.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no panel scaler between gpu and laptop panel, eDP was designed to replace a previous panel interface both which intend for the gpu to drive the panel directly.

This is not the case for desktop monitors and graphics cards.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk but why would they draft/ratify 1.2a if 1.2 had it all along? Why would AMD not support any of it's cards that didn't have 1.2a hardware despite some of them literally being from the same series? On eDP they reserved version 1.3 for panel self refresh - a feature they didn't add in DP until 1.2a.

The technical reason? Idk - perhaps they needed some additional encoding information within DisplayID. Perhaps there was some hardware change. I don't have access to the spec but the fact that they are different makes a lot more sense then both vendors just randomly choosing not to support 1.2.

20. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    It works with my raspberry pi. I'm happy!