Hell Freezes Over: NV to support Open Variable Sync Jan 15

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Chastity, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    eDP and asic controller port based are seperate things.

2. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Both VESA Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) and Gsync is using Displayport VBlank mechanism for VRR.

A speculation from pc perspective Allyn Malventano last time:

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I will see if I can get a answer directly from nvidia soon.. I posted this question at that nvidia DP firmware 1.4 tool. Will post here if I they reply.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Yesterday i enabled the feature and it seemed to work, today it appears to have broken. Any time framerate drops below the maximum refresh rate i get horrible frame stuttering/repeating.

5. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    fantaskarsef and -Tj- like this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  7. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Well......it is indeed....damn it........

Everyone better give up on Nvidia 'good' drivers support over VESA Adaptive Sync.
    From the tone, it seems as if the only reason they 'support' VESA A.S (more like forced to). ..........is to sell their large amount of unsold Pascal inventory.
    The moment those bloated inventory level is back to low level, I honestly doubt nvidia gonna properly 'support' VESA A.S.........
    Nvidia probably will focus their effort on G-Sync Ultimate etc......

-Tj- likes this.
  8. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    I think were on different pages - I want to enable freesync on my 4k TV which is not free sync compatible and test if freesync/Gsync worked via the Nvidia drivers. My TV is not freesync capable by default. i was following this guide - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9w6ssn/enabling_freesync_on_nonfreesync_monitors_tutorial/

9. ren008

ren008 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Welp no HDMI support I see... Back to BestBuy for this monitor (29wk500)!

Now to start looking for another option.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well... yes... I agree ;)

11. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    That settles it, I shall purchase AMD gpu in the future.
    Credit where credit's due, I must thanks Nvidia for certifying those freesync monitors........I definitely gonna need that list as reference.

edit: But I kinda worry about AMD freesync in Borderless Windows as I posted before at AMD driver section......hmmmm.....making decision is tough.

-Tj- likes this.
  12. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Which is nonsense of course, since you cannot actually buy Pascal cards anymore. They have almost vanished from stores around here, and if some online store still has them, its often more expensive then an equivalent Turing card.

I was hoping to get some Pascal cards at a bit of a discount to upgrade some systems, but other then second-hand off ebay, there is literally nothing to be had.

13. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    Probably there will be driver mods in the future to support 900 series cards.

From the announcement they said 900 series were not going to support the feature. Why people like to feed false hopes and them start complaining over something not promised is nonsense.

14. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-financial-results-for-third-quarter-fiscal-2019
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...s-stock-is-plunging-after-earnings-2018-11-15
    Strange, how does Nvidia sell off those excess inventory in one month and a half?

I still see a lot of pascal cards at my local PC stores, most of my local pc stores refuse to drop the selling price.

15. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    All I know is how the actual situation in the typical online hardware shops around here is, and its been like this ever since Turing came out last year. Note: I'm not interested in low-end cards.
    Initially all 1080 and 1080 Ti vanished, and now the 1070 (Ti) are also becoming rare. They don't want to challenge their own new cards of course. Maybe they try to sell the inventory to the OEMs or whatever.

There is only rare exceptions still available, and never cheaper then the equivalent Turing card. Can get a 2070 for cheaper then a 1080, or a 2080 cheaper then a 1080 Ti.

I suppose a lot of the remaining inventory is actually low to mid-range cards which weren't actually replaced yet. Only the 2060 came out now, and that still sits a tad bit above midrange.

The solution they have to excess inventory is to delay the Turing cards in that performance segment, not anything else.

16. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I was at bestbuy two days ago ,picked up HP 25 Omen and was going to buy (29wk500) but it had no DP.

So I picked this up and it is better than my 165Hz G-sync which I sold last night to pay for the monitor below .It is an awesome monitor .
    I have set Freesync range to 33-61 and I swear and this is the crazy part but Freesync is working better at low FPS than G-sync ever did on the same computer,blows me away.

LG 27" 4K UHD 5ms GTG IPS LED FreeSync Gaming Monitor (27UD59P-B.AUS) - Black
    https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/33b1108a

Added /adaptive/G-sync/Freesync Demo windmill/pendulum

https://i.**********/G23yf767/Untitled.jpg

Yes sir and it was easy .CRU /Edit/Select range you want and save.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  17. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    Straight from the horse's mouth over at Nvidia's forum:

Exactly like what I have said before here and here.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  18. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I tried this (simply out of curiosity after installing 417.71): added a VRR range to the HDMI support block in the EDID of the LG C8 OLED TV.

Problem is, the nVidia driver won't offer any kind of Gsync functionality for HDMI 2.0 devices. It wouldn't offer it even if ew connected an officially Gsync Compatible certified monitor via HDMI (instead of DP as intended).
    They say it's intentionally limited to DP >=1.2a (which already looks confirmed by users) and HDMI 2.1 displays (which is yet to be confirmed, since I guess pretty much all HDMI 2.1 displays are under NDA and probably still prototypes / review samples + it usually takes 6 months after retail release to fix the most prominent bugs in the TV firmwares, especially when they are packed with new features).

I tried something similar with a few different TVs back when I had Radeon cards around for mining. It never worked. The AMD demo usually stuttered and kept blinking into black screen and that was it.
    Honestly, I think LG's decision to replace their old 120Hz TCON with a new 240Hz one this year was mainly for implementing Adaptive Sync, the bump in the Hz (for potential BFI and interpolation improvements) was the "free" extra on the side (after they had to come up with a more advanced controller anyways for VRR).

19. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I was doing more testing, I found that Samsung CHG70 Firmware (m-HG727CCAA-1012.0) is the right firmware for Gsync in this driver, I downgrade the firmware from 1020 to 1012.

Pros:
    1. You don't get ghosting when it's in LFC or Freesync mode unlike 1019 and 1020 firmware.
    2. LFC work better then Firmware 1019 and 1020 because games that have engine lock to 30fps or 60fps will not have heavy ghosting and feel more smooth.

Cons:
    Freesync range is 72 - 144 with Firmware 1012.0 while 1019, 1020 Freesync range is 48 - 144
    Looking for Firmware 1012 for 27 model was a pain in the ass to find.

Even with Freesync range 72 - 144 with Firmware 1012.0, LFC work great and there NO GHOSTING using LFC and in Freesync range.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I'm still trying to nail it down but I have noticed that sometimes something will cause the framerate to stick to 50 FPS at least according to AfterBurner but it feels lower and is choppy. Alt tab in and out of game or even just hitting the win key to change the active window and going back fixes it instantly and goes back to max refresh 75Hz. Still trying to figure out hitting what framerate can cause it, because most of the time even if I drop below the freesync range of 40-75 its no problem.