GeForce 417.71 Game Ready Driver - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Keno34, Jan 15, 2019.

1. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Here's hoping that this inadvertently fixed DX12 issues in Rise too...
    That's the goal of gsync/freesync/adaptivesync: eliminate screen tearing and input lag from Vsync.
    No reason not to use it unless you experience some issues like flickering or display blinking with it on.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Does not really make too much sense to me because:
    - the currently available VGA cars all have HDMI 2.0 (so, if going outside of official HDMI specs is such an issue for nVidia, then their driver should require HDMI 2.1 on the VGA card side as well)
    - pretty much all currently available TVs with VRR capability use HDMI 2.0 (with features either "back-ported" from HDMI 2.1 specs or "borrowed" from AMD FreeSync specs --- I am not sure which one, or if these are effectively the same)

However, I always expected nVidia to support VRR on TVs with future HDMI 2.1 VGA cars (turing-refresh?) only, so this wouldn't be a big surprise.
    Besides, LG is unlikely to release firmware updates with VRR capabilities for their 2018 OLEDs (like my current C8), so I am not in a rush (and I feel like trying some Radeon cards again if the crypto market starts recovering and I find myself wanting to build a little hobby farm yet again).

4. clamatac

clamatac Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    now it is clear, that adding about 150-200 € for g-sync monitors was robbing the users.

anders190 likes this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I would call it self-robbing.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What does that mean? NV didn't promise anything on VRR support over HDMI yet. It's possible that Turing will end up being HDMI 2.1 compatible and in that case they may enable adaptive sync over HDMI on Turing but it's more likely that we'll have to wait for the next gen GPUs to get HDMI 2.1 outputs.

Which is why there's a chance of NV enabling HDMI VRR over 2.0 in the future as HDMI Forum has officially allowed to implement some 2.1 specifications in 2.0 devices and VRR is among these.

With only 12 out of 400 adaptive sync displays passing NV's Gsync compatibility tests, it's clear that it's the opposite really.

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA has in the past added new HDMI features through drivers, ie. they added certain HDMI 2.0 features to HDMI 1.4 cards, like 4:2:0 support. Basically, things that didn't require hardware changes. So its quite feasible that they support HDMI 2.1 VRR on HDMI 2.0 cards, but only on screens which support official HDMI 2.1 VRR as well, and not some out-of-spec AMD Freesync HDMI variant.

dr_rus likes this.
  8. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    I'm very interested to know if other non-Nvidia certified freesync monitors work well with this driver. Almost all of the 12 certified monitors have TN panels with a res of 1080p.

I would like a 27" or above IPS freesync monitor with 1440p res (ultrawide or not).

9. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Hope they make it work on hdmi 2.0
    Iv the RTX2080 from Msi that has hdmi 2.0 and the Amd monitor im saving for also has hdmi 2.0 (xg258q)

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You don't need anything, this monitor is already officially Gsync compatible (over DisplayPort input, of course): https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG258Q/

11. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    What are you going on about? There are TVs and monitors with only HDMI 2.0 ports that support VRR. You make it sounds like this is some new thing, when in fact this has been on store shelves for more than a year now. Even my TV has VRR lol. I can not comprehend why Nvidia didn't support HDMI in this driver release, it just doesn't make any sense. This has nothing to do with HDMI 2.1, as this works just fine on HDMI 2.0. AMD GPUs 3 or 4 generations back support VRR over HDMI.

JOHN30011887 likes this.
  12. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    I have a samsung u32h850 and it to works also. Even managed to extend the range from 40-60 to 32-60 using CRU tool.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There's a difference between devices supporting HDMI 2.1 VRR on HDMI 2.0 inputs and those supporting AMD's HDMI FreeSync. Chances of NV supporting the latter are very slim IMO.

Because they follow the specs here and none of their GPUs have HDMI 2.1 outputs or any HDMI 2.1-over-2.0 features yet.

This - as in the whole Gsync Compatible initiative - have everything to do with HDMI 2.1.

14. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    i know its gsync compatible, i can read lol, as i said i hope they add hdmi 2.0 support

15. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    That's not how it works. AMD has the same requirement. Variable refresh rate doesn't work on any other interface than Display Port.

16. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Again, doesn't look like you have any idea what you are talking about. VRR HDMI displays have been available since at least Q1 2016. VRR over HDMI is fully interchangeable with HDMI standard. There is nothing stopping Nvidia from enabling VRR over HDMI.

17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Do you live under a rock? It's 2019. I'm using FreeSync on my Samsunsg TV and Xbox One X. I guess many years of Nvidia Gsync brainwashing and people are now brainwashed into not knowing how many devices support VRR now.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is exactly what I can say about you.

No.

No. AMD's FreeSync over HDMI implementation is using DisplayPort adaptive sync spec on HDMI input (meaning that it's implemented by going out of HDMI spec) which is different to HDMI 2.1 VRR spec.

I've already told you what's stopping NV from this.

19. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-hdmi.pdf

Can you please stop spamming now? Thanks.

20. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    From AVSForum:

AMD GPUs can currently use FreeSync over HDMI on a lot of monitors and samsung TVs.

Here is AMD's monitor list (filter it to HDMI)
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors