Do you carry a pocket knife? If so what kind?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by jbscotchman, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Fixed.

CalculuS likes this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I am not really sure if it's a fix.
    If there were need for guns, people would still get them. If not guns, then paper sprays, electroshock weapons, etc...

I think Russia might be an example in this case.

3. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    [​IMG]

I love my Benchmade knife. I just use it for opening boxes or cutting cellophane on wrapped cargo where I work. They're kind of expensive, but they're worth it. Cuts through just about anything like butter, including a conveyor belt I had to replace on a semi trailer.

airbud7, jbscotchman and sverek like this.
  4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Gorgeous looking fella.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Maybe. But there's enough idiots around here I wouldn't even give a driving permit, I'm quite happy that usually they don't carry guns or knives.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is in the meaning. When You are not needed to do something, there is no reason to ban you from doing it. As you may or may not do it.
    But to enforce my desire to prevent you from doing something, I'll have to ban it.

If I do not want people to sing, I'll ban singing. Banning singing because people do not need to sing would be sign of very oppressive government.

Do you need to dance, sing, smile, laugh to live? No? Then ti is banned as it is not life necessity.
    That's why I do not recognize cause for banning as: "not needed" but as "not wanted"

@fantaskarsef : I do agree that there are people who should not have been given permit for gun or driver's license. One such person from our work did himself off with gun just before Xmas.
    But banning knives is excessive, especially since it is not exactly hard to make makeshift sword just by sharpening edge of some thin, long metal plate.

Accessibility of sharp bladed weapons for those who want them to do something bad is in that case incomparably easier than for those who need to defend themselves.
    Because one group does not care about law and just makes weapon they intend to use. Other group will not dare to break the law.

From logic standpoint, banning guns makes more sense if you can prevent illegal import. In Europe you can't do that. Therefore gun bans are stupid too. But there bad guy has to put some extra effort=money=time to obtain it. Unfortunately end result would be same. Victims were not enabled by law to defend themselves.
    Yes, Rocks are not defense against guns same way as they are not defense against knives and swords.

jbscotchman and airbud7 like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I never had to defend myself against a knife or gun before. Hence I'm not worried about carrying either...
    I honestly don't want to dig into this discussion because it is inevitably going to be political, and we all know that some people are afraid without their weapons, some areas are far less safe than they should be, etc.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, but people who feel unsafe are far from interesting from sociological perspective.

People who ban you from having even this basic form of self defense, and do not provide efficient defense against equally dangerous attack, are.
    Entering building which bans any kind of weapon and has security gate which scans people and ensures they do not carry is great.
    But placing big sign in front: "No weapons allowed. Feel free to come inside. No Checkups." (That's what we get instead.)

And that's why those politicians are so interesting. Do they really think that they are creating weapon free area w/o checking everyone as they leave their homes?
    What is their endgame? To actually provide that kind of security in public areas? Will they scan you at your front doors one day, every day?

(This is not politics, this is psychology. And being politician does not exclude one from being subject of psychological evaluation. It is not a free pass.)

jbscotchman likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Like I said, I don't want to dive into this discussion, sorry friend :)
    I don't take away anybody's weapons, so you haven't gotten an enemy in me. I just see no reason for myself to carry a weapon. Maybe at some point that might change, everything can happen.

sverek, Fox2232 and XP-200 like this.
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I live in Chicago. 3 inches is the biggest blade allowed. Always told if the blade was longer than the palm of my hand, it was illegal. They much rather we kill each other with guns in the part of this country, and we do not disappoint.

11. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I certainly respect your desire to disengage on this topic, but, if I might alter your, "...everything can happen." to "anything can happen" it might provide some insight as to why people carry this or that as a precaution.

Clearly, no one expects to be assaulted. If I thought I was likely to be attacked in a particular place, I'd avoid it. (Or, roll-out in a Leopard II or some such if I absolutely had to be there.) Having something that either is, or can be used as, a weapon isn't a checklist item for me every time I walk out of the house. I don't believe anyone is out to harm me, but, I also think that conviction doesn't have anything to do with the possibility that someone just might try. "Whistling past the graveyard" is generally a sound strategy for self-preservation, but, every once in awhile, the Crypt Keeper will be having none of that and will try and plant a shovel in your dome.

For me, it's like having a flashlight or tire-jack in the car. It's likely you're not going to have a break down or flat tire some night, but you'd feel pretty stupid not having one on-hand if you did. If I was confronted by someone who intended to visit a bit of the old ultra-violence upon me, and had nothing on-hand other than fisticuffs and a kick or three to offer in response, I'd be thinking, "Celci, you idiot, where was your mind at when you left home empty-handed?" That is neither an experience, or a thought, I ever want to have.

I'm a really nice lady. Nobody need fear for their safety regarding anything I might have on, or about, my person. Unless things go sideways.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Isn't that how people getting laid? :D

I have no idea what you wrote, btw.

If you need something to make yourself feel safe or happy, so be it. Just don't push it down others throat.

Personally, if someone tries to rob me, I'd rather give them what they want and be with it. Fighting back and risking my health or life isn't worth it.
    And I am just glad I don't life in a place where I have to be constantly worry about my safety.
    Nor people around me trying to compete who got a bigger gun. (Rather who got newer car, bigger house or something else)

Edit: Damn I am lucky.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'd either just run or give my stuff. Starting to fight would almost certainly cause damage. No point at all.

This thread is quite entertaining... Now I know where I do not want to go. I've never heard such a stupid argument like defending yourself with a knife. I'd accept "it's useful" (hardly in a city though). It's would be much for safer and wiser to instantly call 112 than draw a knife.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    AsiJu likes this.
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, or run away if possible or just give what you have (if being robbed).

Not least because the person attacking may have more experience in handling a blade than you -> you get wounded or even killed with your own knife.
    Particularly if the assailant had no blade in the first place...

I understand to a degree women carrying some form of self-defense but even there I'd suspect pepper spray or a telescopic baton are more effective and certainly less fatal if things go wrong.
    Or a good old kick in the nuts...

I understand different countries have different circumstances and whatnot and am perfectly aware I am privileged to live where I do in this regard.

Anarion likes this.
  15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sadly, I can honestly believe, especially for a nice lady like you, the risk is argueably higher... I'm not nice enough to be attacked in a way that goes beyond simple robbery or a brawl at the club, without getting too explicit in the dangers women face that men usually do not.
    I do want to disengage because ultimately, this discussion has a quite strong political dimension to me, along any ideological / philosophical. Political discussions aren't really the board mod's favourites (for apparant reasons), and you can hardly force philosophies on people, nor do I want to. In the end, I believe this could be an endless discussion from which nothing comes of.

XP-200, sverek and jbscotchman like this.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just got it delivered in the mail and I love it! It's almost 7 ounces so you got some weight behind, beautiful blackwash finish, and super sharp right out of the box.

[​IMG]

17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    No knife in my pockets, only carrying salty farts ready to be unloaded if needed.

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    lol, I think we were in high school together. I had a friend who would fart and clear an entire classroom.

sykozis likes this.
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nice knife JB...what's those bottles under the table?....:D

jbscotchman likes this.
  20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You could use it to cut up that *mouse pad for use by liberals as tourniquets to stop their bleeding.