Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    [​IMG]
    Walt, this never happened. While AMD did gain back some marginal share, you're clearly not remembering history

Glottiz likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Jensen is just intimidated by Lisa and AMD company as a whole. He knows they have Intel by the balls so competing successfully with them too can be a problem.

Valken and carnivore like this.
  3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That was a lot more than we needed to know about your Huang fantasy...please clean yourself up....sheesh....

4. DethZero

DethZero Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC2
    I have hopes for Navi. Radeon VII is pretty much Vega on steroids. It's not a bad card but I'm hoping the lack of demand will cause it to decrease in price to entice a purchase.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Why would he be when Nvidia has two product stacks superior to AMD's brand new GCN 7 repsin? AMD is barely treading water along with their defenders.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    R300 was back in 2004 so it's effect is not covered by this chart - to be fair Jens himself said that the FX series nearly bankrupted the company. Should also point out that the FX's failure was mostly due to Microsoft allowing AMD to use FP24 in place of FP32/16 like Nvidia was.

The rest of his post about RTX and stuff is just nonsense tho. There hasn't been a single time where raytracing has been successfuly integrated into a consumer game. DXR is not GameWorks and Lisa literally announced they are working on integrating it into their GPUs. Not to mention the countless other benefits Turing has in it outside of RT that Jen's is alluding to with his comment.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I think the issue is the price. $700? For 1080 Ti performance? Why can AMD do this and everyone is happy? But when NVidia makes a RTX 2080, same performance, same price, plus extra RT and Tensor cores, everyone says it's a rip off.

Robbo9999 and pharma like this.
  8. hazel1

hazel1 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Ti GM
    Maybe he just want a real competition ,he want to give a competitive prices for Nvidia GPU but it is not his decision alone and disappointed that AMD cant give him the reason to xD .It is his way to say wake tf up to AMD .

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Nobody said they were happy with this price. Nobody (with a few exceptions) is happy with any of the current GPU prices, especially the 2080Ti.
    What people are in a fuss about is how Huang is treating the Radeon 7 like it's a drastically inferior product, even though the price and performance is very comparable to a 2080. Pretty hypocritical.

Robbo9999 and carnivore like this.
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    fantaskarsef and yasamoka like this.

11. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP

Oooof...Why do proffesional buisness ppl talk like that anyway.

I am very happy with my 1080 but i would like AMD to come up with something similar to 1080TI and i would switch to check it out. the 2080/70 is too expensive atm.

Another thing that BOTHERS ME about nvidia is this... Here in norway the 1080 and 1080TI are MORE expensive then the 2080/Ti cards...what the hell is up with that???

Atm a regular GTX 1080 card is priced at 750$!!!!! i wanted to upgrade to a 1080Ti cuz i dont see the benefits of raytracing and dlss for a good while yet but i cant since the prices are insane.

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Exactly. The Vega II has 16GB of HBM2 which makes that card have a use that the RTX 2080 does not. The enthusiast / hobbyist content creators that have large projects that need lots of GPU memory now have a decent card for much less than 2K to get you into a 16GB card from Nvidia which is the Quadro P5000 and even it is a cut down card with GDDR5X. To get 16GB of HBM from Nvidia we are talking the Quadro GP100 which is a $6,999 card.

moo100times and carnivore like this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Or you can get rtx titan for 2,500$ ;)

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This has been 'annus horribilis' for JHH. His company's worth halved by the stock market, poor reception for RTX cards (along with quality control issues), sued by shareholders for misleading them about company performance, and now AMD about to give the 2080 a run for its money. He's on the defensive and lashing out. Poor baby...

Valken, carnivore and Eastcoasthandle like this.
  15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The 1080 and 1080 Ti are EOL. Nvidia is no longer producing them (they expect you to buy the 2070/2080 instead) so prices are sky high. Speaking of which, I could probably sell one of my 1080 Ti cards and cover the cost of a Vega 7.

Embra and carnivore like this.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My thoughts too. I suspect that the underwhelming reception to the RTX range and negative comments from various sites have perhaps made him overly defensive of his product. Maybe the shareholders are getting ratty because NVIDIA have put a lot of money into developing RTX and they aren't selling as well as expected? Maybe he is just bitter because AMD not supporting ray-tracing means it will take longer to become mainstream which in turn means less developers are likely to support it? Whatever, it really is unprofessional.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The CEO of Nvidia is a moron because you do not need Ray Tracing for a card to be good. Also makes me wonder if HBM is cheaper than GDDR6 memory? I am sure that AMD will adopt Ray Tracing once the technology matures a bit.

18. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    Well Vega Frontier has had 16GB for the past two years.... for the same price for a good majority of those two years. Vega 7 is still good progress for AMD, we only had to wait a few months for a 2080 competitor as opposed to vega 64/1080 which took like a year because of the HBM2 delays...

19. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    i like how everyone is complaining about the language used rather than if he is right or wrong.

classic consumerism

ubercake likes this.
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    First of all, plenty of people here admit he's not wrong. But it seems you missed the point. It doesn't matter if he's right or not - that's not something he should be saying. It's petty and immature at best, and implies he's worried at worst; investors do not want to see the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company feel threatened.
    EDIT:
    If he were truly confident that Radeon 7 is as lousy as he says it is, he wouldn't have to say anything - he'd just let hardware reviewers do the work for him.

HandR, Valken, Maddness and 2 others like this.