Nvidia CEO: Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thinking about this more.... The Vega II that AMD showed off isn't the full chip as I'm sure everyone noticed it was only using 3840 stream processors. I wonder if Nvidia is worried AMD will put out a 4096 version that is on par with 2080 Ti performance?

No indication where Navi is right now but if its a 6-9 months out AMD could have a nice lineup with Navi filling in for the 2070 performance and below.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Jens & Lisa are related - must make for awkward family events.

This version exists - it's the Instinct MI60 - they are binning failed variants as MI50/VII. I don't think there is much concern because AMD is running the VII clocks boosted vs the MI50. So a full variant would probably trade clockspeed for core count. Regardless I don't think the 6% additional SP's will make up the 20% performance difference between 2080Ti/VII (if it's even 2080 level).

Duke Nil and Robbo9999 like this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Lisa Su is Huang's niece, actually. (Not kidding.)

Ulenn, airbud7 and anders190 like this.
  4. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Making same lighting with cubemaps will make fps much lower that ray tracing. There are no fully featured ray tracing games yet. DXR extension for D3D12 has been released less than a month ago.

Radeon VII performs and priced same as RTX 2080 - $699, yet without massive RT and Tensor part.
    Vega 64 performs and cost same as RTX 2070. Even cheapest Vega 56 here is more expensive than cheapest RTX 2070 - 39800 ₽ vs 35800 ₽.

So Nvidia chips are much cheaper per sq mm.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Rolls eyes :rolleyes:

Talk about professional response, imo it looks pathetic.

Ulenn likes this.
  6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    It sounds like someone is a little frustrated, Bad sales maybe? I hope it is bad sales and we can get reasonable prices again.

-Tj- likes this.
  7. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    "if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it" he says...

Go on then, turn it on.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Hey Jensen, Radeon 7 has 13.5 TFLOPs of FP32 and 27TFLOPs of FP16.
    Guess what? RTX 2080 Ti has 13.45 TFLOPs of FP32 and 26.9TFLOPS of FP16.

And then there is FP64 where Radeon 7 does 864GFLOPs and RTX 2080Ti only 420GFLOPs.
    And how does it happen that your $1200 RTX 2080Ti has only 11GB of VRAM while AMD's $700 has 16GB of VRAM?

Hey Jensen, have you seen Lisa's jacket? It is lovely luxury item. Your bad-boy jacket underlines live crisis as it is no longer style.

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Jensen afraid of the family congratulating his niece Dr Su for bringing AMD BACK to market during this year's Chinese New Year celebrations, sidelining his same old pair of jeans and 2019 edition leather jacket.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    anders190 likes this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    i see what you did there :rolleyes:

The new card looks great, i'm curious about those 16gb HBM2, sounds incredible, looking forward to see it in action. The card being bundled with 3 AAA games at 700$ with rtx2080+ performance sounds interesting !

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Radeon VII, not XII.

Also this is sort of an odd comment from a company who's about to launch cards without AI and ray tracing because none of those things are actually a thing....

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    FWIW Turing has a lot more going on than just AI/RT - People seem fixated on only those features (Nvidia's marketing backfiring).

13. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    What does it have going on other than the usual relevant for gaming?

14. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Spoken like a real Donald, no class and generally ignorant.

15. Ahmad Bilal

Ahmad Bilal Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon
    I think the consideration here is that Nvidia's move on RT can be too early and too bad. There are hardly any games that utilize RT, yet the consumers have to pay all those extra bucks for RT. Now in comes AMD, without 'Hardware' Raytracing. They have in the very least positioned themselves very well to take the next round. I think he knows that and is remarking upon that.

And add to that, Vega II's 16GB HBM2 memory with 1TB of bandwidth. For rendering, that is a lot of memory (capacity and movement wise).

16. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Last sentence of the article needs correction:
    ...The new Radeon XII will not be available until..."

This Nvidia guy may seem arrogant, but he's more right than wrong.
    Radeon VII has performance at or lower than a 2080. No new technology (other than the die size). It's just a competing card at a comparable price point.

7nm is one of the only things exciting about this new card. The other is Radeon VII provides much needed competition by giving people a choice of this or that.

In my opinion, the bottom line is it's another AMD card overloaded with HBM2 VRAM (can't wait for the "futureproof" arguments about this). By the time we need that much VRAM, Radeon VII will be irrelevant because the GPU won't keep up with the future frame rate per resolution requirements (but just look at all of that VRAM!!!). AMD tends to throw in the unnecessary memory on their flagship to make make people feel they're getting additional "value".

I hope the gen of GPUs following Radeon VII really forces Nvidia to compete.

nevcairiel likes this.
  17. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    No hate to the amd fanboys but CEO Jensen Huang is right, maybe not that smart how he sayed it, but amd got nothing new or innovating atm, i expected better as well from amd, its just an overclocked vega that barely keeps up with a gtx 1080 ti or rtx 2080 with no new features or Technological Progress thats just how it is.

ubercake likes this.
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Separated INT32/FP paths, refined scheduling hardware, FP16x2, Mesh Shaders (arguably more important to gaming than both RT/AI), Variable Rate Shading, Texture-Space Shading, Multi-view Rendering and Virtual Link.

Granted a lot of this needs developer support to see advantages but most of the good stuff is being ratified directly into DX12. So his larger point that AMD didn't really do much here in comparison is technically accurate. That's not to mention that Lisa mentioned DXR acceleration for NAVI essentially so..

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    He obviously wants competition to help push his company/teams. The market is stale because only Nvidia are pushing forward. We need AMD to step-up. Navi can't come soon enough to help drive the market forward.

20. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    That's harsh language?? Whoever wrote that can't be serious.