Windows 10 Update 1903 will reserve 7GB of your disk space

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Well I guess that's one way of fixing the whole deleting user files scenario, just hold space in advance so the user can't use it to start with.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not too bad as a full SSD/HDD loose perf and caching/temp in memory is not secure.
    But i see already the "Ho no no let's burn M$, we don't need that" "i won't be able to install Crysis and windows 10 on my 60 go due to this feature" :)

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Oh frack off Microsoft, I am the one who has control over my disk.

I wonder if this will happen even if you install the OS on pre-partitioned disk, or in the case of customized automated installation. I hope not.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    what about when stupid windows files fill up my disk space?
    my windows 7 folder is like 60gigs, and cannot be slim down ( winSxS ) if not loosing time with tricks and traps.

Windows 10 keeps all versions of dlls and grows up too.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Kinda makes sense, I get laptops to fix sometimes and a lot of them are those cheapy crap 32GB eMMC things, 100% full and barely running, if this will keep windows running smoothly even with a full C: then that's only a good thing, but we're not gonna get much room to play with on a 32GB SSD with 7GB reserved lol

lucidus likes this.
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Reinstall windows 7 lol

8. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I can just imagine what will happen with all of the people that never do any disk maintenance and don't even have 7GB of free space on their OS drive. :p

schmidtbag likes this.
  9. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I can't see the problem myself. Either you're not using that 7GB in which case whats the big deal, or your drive is almost full in which case Windows sevices, updates etc would fail and leave your system unstable.

lucidus likes this.
  10. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    M$ pay me,please, for 7 gigi on everything.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    With how cheap SSD space is getting this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Aura89, Fender178 and XP-200 like this.
  12. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    If it keeps the space empty most of the time, that would serve well as some extra Over Provisioning to keep SSD performance more consistent. Guess I'll just shrink my manual OP down a bit to compensate, which is currently 15% of the drive anyway (probably a bit too much, but my OS drive never fills up anyhow).

7 GB feels like nothing in 2019.

13. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I don't really have a problem with this.... But I guess the forum is going to follow the usual trend and overreact.

14. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I know this might look bad, and i am also the kind that said "oh f off!" but i don't think it is actually.
    And don't forget that people here are usually a lot more fluent in tech than most and know how to recover from a bad update install.
    Heck, my phone downloads its updates first, validates them, and then installs them. And if there is not enough space it won't download and go on about cleaning space.
    Win 10 won't ask.

15. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    As long as there is some sort of hack to disable it (as a win 10 update disabling hacks) i'm fine with it. I like my updates manual.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I kinda did that already: I created two partitions on second disk (HDD) - for temporary files and for page file. Question is will users be able to utilize space of all available disks or MS will lock that space to the disk with OS.

17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hmm... My windows drive is showing 4GB windows folder... thats very wrong unless they have moved all the files around? Should be around 60GB

Still Going from 2GB to 7GB if it means faster responses i personally don't mind, though i understand how everyone doesn't have the same kind of drives as me and might worry on space... i currently own a 512gb NVME drive which only has windows on and a few photos here and there.

18. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Ive lost count of the number of people that bring in cheap 32GB netbook type laptops that are getting stuck in update loops because they are short on space.

This makes total sense to me, solves a problem for a lot of people.If you really cant spare 7GB then you need more storage anyway.

Glidefan likes this.
  19. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    I personally run a debloated version of Win10 with all the windows garbage removed. Tons of room on my SSD, and none of those apps I don't need running in the background.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, i have a 240 gig SSD drive just for windows, got it way back in 2016, best thing in the world, only about 10 seconds boot from cold and we are away, and i keep everything else on my normal 2tb hybrid old fashioned mechanical hdd, and i have yet to require reinstalling W10 since i did it way back in early 2017.