New Signs of a GTX 1100 Series, GeForce GTX 1180 without RT cores?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2019.

1. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Monstieur
    "always"??
    So a video (not an actual game) is now the reference you use to grade tech? Ok.
    how many rt games did you play, to actually compare (to game running without it), not just watching something/video in youtube?
    Until I saw the in game stuff, i changed my mind (a bit) about RT.

Same reason i laugh at movies showing tunnel vision/stuff flashing by when cars go really fast, when most of the time if experienced the oposite when going past 150mph...

2. Nvidia as a business wants to keep things focused on dedicated solutions. Dedicated solutions help them stay in business. Since they don't make CPUs (at least not atm - was tegra a CPU?) not sure... point being if they ever plan to, this helps buy time. EDIT: see post #66 by @sykozis Otherwise... the industry is becoming more and more integrated and condensed (Google, Amazon, Tesla, etc).

On average, manufacturing in technology has been increasing performance while downsizing & improving in TDP. I say on average since HEDT GPUs seem to fluctuate (possibly strategically so). I'd add this is also occurring with "TDP to performance" Nano-techs endgame is downsizing. It's counter-intuitive if you sacrifice energy-efficiency. Silicone won't last forever...Intel's been on that R&D for years. (Diamonds/CPUs etc)

I'm running a GPU that was architecturally released in April of 2016 (Pascal). 1080 TI was "revised" later, I acknowledge. IIRC, 1080 TI was an unlocked variant (memory upgrades too). It's January of 2019. At current, almost 3 years later, AMD and NVIDIA offer relative "matching" performance... at "High-End" cost.

For $699 I can match more-to the same performance (depending on DLSS being implemented) with the features of RTX from NVIDIA. The caveat being it's "partial" reap-the-benefits at launch for a few games, and invest for others later if RTX support takes off. Those aren't optics I find very appealing.

At $699 AMD offers similar Rasterisation performance - a cut down MI50, no PCI-E 4.0 despite Ryzen 3xxx having it; no Infinity Link. According to Lisa Su, AMD doesn't plan to implement DX-R for awhile. With Navi on the horizon Vega Vll could turn a moot point. AMD could handicap Navi 2019 to push Vega Vll.

RTX 2080 or Radeon Vega VII (Turing/Vega2) aren't as good a buy as Pascal/Vega. During CES, NVIDIA's CEO stated the toll RTX takes on current gen. Gen 2 can't be far off. "consistent 60 fps with RTX at 4K" on high detail. 1080 TI has lasted this long...The turnover rate for AMD & NVIDIA this gen is higher.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
  3. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia has nothing to hold on to. They have to release a 11xx card. They shoot their foot off with the RTX cards. Raytracing has been around for a very long time but for many reasons it's not added to consumer media. Nvidia took titan lvl hardware and sprinkled it over consumer level products and asked a fortune for it in the name of Ray tracing. When it actually makes sense to add RT, game/media Dev's will be the one to do it. Not hardware mfg's. Bye Nvidia.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That has nothing to do with ray tracing. Ray tracing has to do with the technology, not how a game developer implements it. Obviously, being the fact that it's a brand new tech, nvidia is going to try and get developers to over-utilize it so showcase the difference.

The game developer has the ability to utilize ray tracing in a way that would reflect realistically from the car, given the dirtyness and etc. you stated above. Again, that's up to them, and has zero to do with the technology. You can't say ray tracing looks bad because of how a game developer uses them. That'd be like saying you don't like textures because of the way a specific developer used textures......

1600+ games on steam, let alone other programs such as origin. Guess i'm not a gamer. Though i am less interested in the better reflections(by itself) and much more interested in games that fully do away with rasterization methods of lighting and only utilize ray tracing for lighting.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    MegaFalloutFan and fry178 like this.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Killian38
    bye Nv? lol
    amd makes about 50M$ net/year.
    nvidia about 3B$ net income per year.
    sure, they will be gone by tomorrow....

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This... As cost of entry declines and performance improves, progress should accelerate.

That depends largely on implementation. Some implementations will result in less than desirable affects. Also depends on other variables that have to be taken into consideration by the devs....such as the dust you mentioned.

NVidia develops ARM based CPUs as part of an SoC. Tegra is an SoC.....

Except that ray tracing isn't a "brand new tech" by any means. The RTX series cards are just the first attempt to bring real-time ray tracing to consumers.

For gaming, performance wise, it's a poor showing. However, the first step in mass adoption is to first bring the technology to market. NVidia has done that. Step 2, is to begin improving performance. NVidia is already working on that. Anyone that expected real-time ray tracing at 4K@60fps had ridiculous expectations. Hell, anyone that expected real-time ray tracing at 1440@60fps had ridiculous expectations. Performance will improve over time, and eventually real-time ray tracing in games will reach the masses with acceptable performance at most resolutions.....

I still feel the entry price is ridiculous, but as I've said before, I'm not NVidia's target audience for the RTX cards.

It really only takes 1 bad move to tank a company, regardless of how much "income" they generate per year prior to said bad move. NVidia isn't immune from it....just unlikely to do it given the company structure. Steve Jobs brought Apple to the brink of bankruptcy twice as CEO. It wasn't until his third attempt that he was actually successful.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    For gaming, it is a brand new tech. I'm not sure there's any technology that is 100% brand new never done before in any scenario, especially since CGI films have been around since before games were really getting even into 3D. So i'm really not sure what you're trying to get at. There have always been super computers, or simply people who have waited for renders to finish, that are able to what a game can not.

8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Nvidia could have forewarned Devs 2 years ago about the upcoming RT tech but they never did, they dropped it in all our laps and said hey pay a fortune for this new tech even though there might not be any games for nearly 12 months. Makes me feel they just came up with the idea and ran with it and kept it secret to get a head of AMD.

First version of new RT cards are pretty weak and over priced with RT enabled, that's peoples choice of course but i've never been an early adopter even if i had cash saved up.
    Same with Ryzen 3000, i'll wait for Ryzen 3000+ because that's when i think the 8c/16t will be best bang for buck gaming chip.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Developers were aware if DXRT for a long time if they had bothered to keep in touch with Microsoft.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That, and developers had access to Volta, which was a generation of cards specifically designed to make ray tracing possible

11. Good to know, thanks @sykozis :)

12. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    FF15 already support DLSS, you drunk bro.

13. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    DLSS works fine, so fine that RTX2060 with DLSS = RTX2080+TAA based on DigitalFoundry benchmarks

14. It remains to be seen regarding DLSS; however I think "proof-of-concept" has been shown, we can agree on that yes?

Vaporware seems a tad harsh. Remains to be seen meaning wide-ranging support...

15. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC

16. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It's not vaporware since a game supports it, but it looks bleak when we're still at one title with DLSS support several months after launch.

17. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    I'll buy an RTX card when these XXX games I play support ray tracing. I love mirrors.....

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    why are we still recycling this fake news?