NVIDIA To support VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology, GSYNC Compatible

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While true, variable refresh rate was a thing in latops long before it hit desktop PCs, iirc? So technically any GPU is able to support it in the last 5 or so years, even before Gsync or Freesync were introduced. Still they didn't make it happen :D

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    laptops are a little different, they directly drive the displays, which is gives them more control over signalling vs standard outputs like hdmi. I think it would be technically possible to support adaptive refresh on something even like a mobile version of the 7000 series (2005) due to this, (i remember being able to adjust the refresh /resolution in realtime using powerstrip back in the day on a laptop , without a mode reset)

the reason i doubt kepler, is primarily because nvidia mentioned that the gsync module was necessary for adaptive sync to work on kepler, that and contemporary amd hardware doesn't support it. if it is possible, it would probably only work on displayport, due to the shared circuitry with eDP. biggest problem i see is that the adaptive refesh range used by laptops for power saving is limited and the hardware was never intended for high refreshrates or constant switching, where as the 900 series have a proven implementation.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's because the two are virtually synonymous. Google "VESA Adaptive Sync" and it will immediately show results for FreeSync. Look for a VESA Adaptive Sync monitor and it will invariably show FreeSync monitors. AMD's solution is the only real implementation of the technology so it makes sense to associate the two, and FreeSync is a much sexier term than a clunky term like VESA Adaptive Sync. It's kind of like using the term "Phillips" to refer to a particular screwdriver.

On the other hand, a term like "G-Sync compatible" is completely meaningless, since VESA Adaptive sync has nothing to do with G-Sync. It's a testament to Nvidia's marketing prowess that they've gotten the tech press to go along with what is obviously a deceptive term.

carnivore and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Freesync is a specification for monitors to advertise their VRR range in their EDID. You can add the freesync data in the EDID yourself in monitors that support VRR but lack the freesync EDID blurb.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yep, got people saying now Nvidia support FreeSync, but, they don't, as if they did, every FreeSync monitor would work , but, they don't, only 12 out of 400+ work, so no, Nvidia do not now support FreeSync. :p

2x FreeSync monitors here, that don't work.

fantaskarsef and warlord like this.
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Both use vblank to dynamically adjust a monitors refresh rate. They are literally the same tech just that G-Sync utilizes an FPGA module by Nvidia while Adaptive Sync is implemented in an ASIC by the monitor vendor. FreeSync is an AMD marketing term. I'm not sure what you want Nvidia to call their own?

I don't own those monitors so I can't confirm but on the /r/nvidia thread AMD users were posting that those monitors have the same issues on AMD cards.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    For the billionth time, 12 out of 400 pass certification and will have VRR enabled automatically, while the rest, as well as ANY monitor that supports VESA Adaptive Sync, can STILL have the feature enabled manually via an option in the control panel. This was made very clear.

Maddness likes this.
  8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Who cares about manually enabling this s#1t. If it isn't capable to work, it won't work like the video shows. Stop telling that it will be OK. Many people cannot enable even it with proper AMD's config. I don't care about naming like VRR. To my and others eyes, it is still Freesync. Nothing is clear here.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You have to enable DSR or MFAA or HBAO too manually in driver.. so?

stop being a little bitch :p with your nagging all the time.

yasamoka likes this.
  10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I can't believe there are people in this thread giving AMD credit for VRR.
    Yes, Mantle promoted Vulkan. That's different.
    But FreeSync used DP VRR from the get-go.

11. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Small clarification about my earlier post below - once I enable Freesync Ultimate mode, the range in CRU becomes 70-144.
    Apparently the one that flickers is a:
    "The blinking monitor is the lg 34uc79g-b 144hz Freesync. I had the same issue with vega64 and the same monitor with freesync enabled."
    Comment from the video.

So to me, this is saying that if you get flickering when you enable Freesync on the monitor (even now before the driver), chances are you will still get flicker once the driver with A-Sync support arrives, and that if it flickers on Radeons, it probably will flicker on Geforce too.

The CFG73 seems to run absolutely normal with Freesync mode enable, so that gives me some hope.

Maddness and -Tj- like this.
  12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Why not? Ask yourself, where would DP VRR be if AMD hadn't implemented it? We'd basically be stuck with Nvidia's proprietary G-Sync solution and that'd be the end of it - in other words, VESA Adaptive Sync would not be used today. AMD deserve all the credit for this - and yet people go out of their way to downplay FreeSync.

carnivore likes this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What are you talking about? AMD is a member of VESA and developed the VRR standard for VESA... FreeSync used DP's VRR because AMD developed DP's VRR lol

AMD deserves credit for it sure but it's part of a standard now and each company is branding the standard. FreeSync is AMD's brand and G-Sync's Nvidia's brand for variable refresh so I don't see the problem with them using that brand to cover adaptive sync.

It's no different then RTX and Raytracing. Nvidia calls it's hardware acceleration method for RayTracing "RTX". AMD will probably create it's own brand name. When I google "RayTracing" I see tons of articles on RTX but I'm not going to sit here two years from now and go "Why is AMD creating it's own brand and not praising RTX for starting this whole thing?!"

VBlank to refresh the screen has been a thing for years. Nvidia was to first to utilize it as we know it to dynamically refresh the panel. Nvidia did it with G-Sync and then AMD said "Hey we can do that without the module and we're going to create a standard for it!" - which is cool but yeah

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Oh don't get me wrong, I welcome this change and I'm dying to try it out on my own FreeSync monitor. It's just that it feels like Nvidia is co-opting VESA Adaptive Sync under the G-Sync brand as "G-Sync certified", especially when they were the biggest obstacle to it. It also feels like people always downplay AMD's contribution, going out of their way to disassociate FreeSync with VRR.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    When you word it this way I think it's a fair point. I'm personally not the biggest fan of Nvidia's vendor-lock in proprietary stuff and lately the G-Sync thing really has me bugged because I want a new monitor but my selection was limited by G-Sync itself. It stopped becoming a feature and just hampered my choices.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yes i know it can be enabled manually, that doesn't change the fact though, that it might still not work, you'll have to take a chance, on your non, one of the 12 certified monitors.

If it works, great, if not, either use your newly bought Nvidia card without the adaptive sync, send it back, or sell your monitor, and get a one that does work.

As i said, thers loads saying, that Nvidia support FreeSync, when that isn't the case.

Theres going to be loads on FreeSync screens, thinking they can just grab a Nvidia card now to run on it, because of that, when they can't, as the screens they have, may not work, they'll be buying Nvidia cards for nowt, unless as i said, they use them with out adaptive sync, send the buggers back, or sell their monitor, to get another one, that does work.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lol, that last one... so funny. Blinking. Yeah, blinking!

nVidia should enable refresh rate doubling when fps drops below Adaptive Sync lower limit.

It was blinking like crazy, right? Check how much it was blinking once he moved mouse. I bet there is reason why they did not show fps!

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You could say the exact opposite as well.

If nvidia were to say that they now support adaptive sync, no one(except the minority of us that understand what adaptive sync is rather then simply call is freesync or gsync) would know what they are talking about.

Freesync is not nvidias

So what is nvidia to do? Gsync compatible.

There's really no other solution.

All it is, is nvidia letting their customers know that if they want at least partial gsync-like experience, here's some ones that will let them have it now, that previously didn't.

But instead it's like everyone is freaking out about non-issues in naming and claiming they are just copying AMD...... rather then being happy that nvidia cards are no longer limited to g-sync module monitors for a adaptive-sync experience.

So to your eyes, you're incorrect and you don't care? That's a great way to live your life...sure.....

19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    its not that unbelievable, frankly nvidia actively stifled the adoption of VRR monitors that use the vesa standard, by exclusively supporting gsync module monitors, amd was the only company that supported the vesa standard until now.

carnivore likes this.
  20. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid