NVIDIA To support VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology, GSYNC Compatible

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I've gotten two Gsync monitors, one $400 the other $700. All the while I've been one of the people complaining that other people can't enjoy VRR. I really feel like it's a necessity, the obvious way to go.

Maddness likes this.
  2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    HDMI 2.1

Fox2232 and Maddness like this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Finally!!! Finally Nvidia understood that they needed to support adaptive-sync instead of their proprietary format. Proprietary stuff is the cancer of PC gaming!
    Although the certification program sounds like BS...

Yes, we all need to thank AMD for this

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Obviously that's what people think, in reality I couldn't care, my Gsync screen doesn't suddenly stop working because now it could work with Fsync too, and I been using it for quite some time now without issues ;)
    If only, it offers more choices for any following buys, like in the future I might look for a TV, Fsync capabilities are now more of an option to many people than before.
    In that way, Nvidia is killing off it's own BFG displays, since you don't get the idea to buy a BFG display for more money when you can get a TV with the same stats for less and Fsync works.
    I think it's a good thing, all in all.

Maybe even Intel, I'm sure they used some of their leverage as well to implement any variable sync in the VESA standards.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    This is promising. It will be interesting to see where this goes in monitor affordability in the future.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And why not on 900 series? Bs.

My new monitor is more then capable of running adaptive vsnyc ( it has a new ultra mode on it too) and GPU also.. they better enable it for 900 series or at least use it unofficially at own risk, which I will.

GSDragoon and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    So all those G-sync monitors in stock right now, will they be discounted? AND, going forward, what's the point of making a monitor with the added cost of the G-Sync chip? I have a g-sync asus pg279q, but if i were buying now, why would i buy this monitor when i can get the same panel with freesync(vrr) for $150 less?

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You have exactly pointed out why first Gsync was milking it's customers to an extent, and now, won't sell the moment Fsync is confirmed to work (pretty soon). But Nvidia has earned enough money to make Gsync profitable in general, even if they now won't sell any more screens with Gsync modules in them.

Kaarme likes this.
  9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    To be honest those will offer better VRR experience than the Adaptive Sync displays. The best Adaptive Sync displays have somewhat lacking VRR range and overdrive might not work properly in VRR mode (for example).

sammarbella likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD has working fps doubling for situations where your fps drops under lower FS limit.

Overdrive argument is meh. More of a bad joke, really. When you have G&Free-sync variants of same monitor, they use same screen in most cases.
    Overdrive works in same way for both. Overdrive timing is no magic, it depends on proper math which should be done by manufacturer of screen.

Yes, there are some Freesync screens which benefit from different overdrive settings in different refresh ranges. Guess what. They are so cheap that you can have 2 at price of good GSync screen.

Check https://www.viewsonic.com/uk/products/lcd/VX2458-C-mhd.php
    It literary costs 40% of what G-Sync variant of my AW2518HF screen does.
    And there GSync variant (AW2518H) of same screen I use costs 55% more than Freesync.

Very questionable value right there. You can almost have 3x 144Hz Freesync at price of 1x 240Hz G-Sync. You are going to have hard time to finding G-Sync screen anywhere near Freesync prices.

Where does it actually leave you?
    GSync with same panel costs good 50% more than Freesync. => If you are spending in any range. See what are parameters of GSync screen you like. And then see what parameters Freesync offers in same price.

May be surprise to some, but 27'' 2560x1440 G-Sync costs about same as 32'' Freesync. (And that GSync got you TN panel while Freesync at same price got you VA.)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AFIK that's still linked to LFC, the width Freesync Hz range of the monitor (high Hz must be x2 to x2,5 times the low Hz). If the monitor has some horrible Freesync range like 48-75 (not very uncommon) you are SOL.

Anarion likes this.
  12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
  13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, for Nvidia this isn't a big deal, but I feel sorry for the monitor manufacturers who have Gsync modules and screens already manufactured but not yet ordered by importers, the importers who just ordered more Gsync screens, and of course all the retail stores who soon will have a harder time selling the wares on their shelves and warehouses.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Great news and About time , i've been waiting a long time for this news , at last i will be able to try out freesync now as i have two 27 inch monitors with freesync that i've never been able to use that feature .

Maybe this move by Nvidia is because AMD have something in the pipeline , Nvidia said sometime time ago that they would not support freesync .

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Yes and no ...here is the thing nvidia will NEVER support Freesync ,as they would never support Mantle .. those are amd technologies ... Mantle is dead and renamed to vulkan ...Vulkan as name is not directly connected to mantle as trademark since it is universal like opengl and directx so while they ignored mantle when the vulkan came out they where behind it even with some async software implementation they pretty much supported it from the get go .... same thing with the adaptive vesa sync witch is pretty much freesync as far the names are not directly tied and credited to amd nvidia will support em , i feel though they where waiting to do so as a tramp card to get some very much needed good pr atm . Either way i was reading the whole thing thinking like ....seriously ?? they need to certify their monitors for it to work ? but since you can enable it and "take your chances" is all good by me and about time ! how many around here have a freesync monitor and this announcement made their day ? :p

Singleton99 likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That I'd be curious to know too. Also, how many actually do own a Gsync display already, did not buy Gsync because it was too expansive, etc.

Maddness, Singleton99 and Venix like this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I am pretty sure I saw few posts mentioning that they have freesync monitor with Nvidia card. Hell i want a 21:9 monitor my self(not in a rush) and i was thinking if i should ignore freesync completely , now i won't when i get to that point

Maddness likes this.
  18. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Should we not wait for some tests before we all start throwing gsync in the bin?

Its not a blanket on for all freesync panels to have Gsync, Its gotta be tested and tested.

warlord likes this.
  19. Xdrqgol

Xdrqgol Member

GPU:
    1070GTX
    will this model - Alienware 240hz FREE SYNC - AW2518HF be supported on Nvidia video cards ???

.. :D if YES, then now it is a good time for a good deal. This is like 60% cheaper in my area compared to the Gsync one...

someone care to confirm?

20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    And no freesync panel ever will be "Gsync" approved. Just Gsync compatible. Especially any monitor having Gsync Ultimate badge it will be undeniably 1.5x to 2x times better.