Microsoft will add ‘login with SMS code’ options on all Windows 10 versions

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    M$: "We’re pu$hing forward on eliminating pa$$word$ and keeping your account$ (in a) $afe with another cool feature: It'$ called $ellMy$oul... ehrm... we mean $M$.... it will la$t for generation$ & you won't be able to e$cape! But don't be troubled... we'll make you love it...." - I think slowly the time has come to take my rig permanently offline... hmmm... :-/

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, passwordless has quite other meaning here.
    It means that you have no option to use password... No internet => Windows can't request sms => no login unless Other personally bound login options are enabled.

MS is basically collecting your photo, fingerprint and phone number (if you enable them to). Very clever.

pharma likes this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand it is way less intrusive and way more secure than what Amazon and Google does...
    But shall we accept this too?
    ( This question doesn't need a reply, it's just to make you think about another way to live digital stuff )

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I already use my mobile phone as a extra layer of security for my email accounts, steam, battlenet, uplay, paypal, xbox accounts, so this is really nothing new, i am surprised it took MS so long to offer such a feature on Windows.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is fundamental difference.

You have it for remote access accounts which can be accessed from anywhere. (I do use it too.)

Your home computer/laptop is subject of Physical-Security. If you do not have that, no kind of login security will save you.

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Last 5 years i unloked 4 computers that their owner forgot the password ....so i guess now this will be over... Especially if they loose their phone to....

Fun momment is their face looking at me like i am so top ranked cracker ... While in reality i do not even boot in a cell to do that , just boot from usb usb the rest is auto pilot :p

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I don't think in this day and age there can ever be too much security on our devices, so MS add another to use at the end users discretion, and why not, if some find a use for it good enough, those that don't won't even know its there, more options for the consumer is always better then less. ;)

9. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    @Fox2232
    Maybe not now, but it's only a question of time, until it'll cost money, privacy or both (sorry, that I'm so pessimistic, but I don't trust that company)

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I guess this is a nice feature for those without a Microsoft account who don't want to deal with passwords. If it could be used for 2FA then even better.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Who's gonna send you SMS? I do not expect MS to be sending free SMS to any phone number every time unregistered system asks them to do so.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Not sure I understand. Many other sites use a similar system so why wouldn't Microsoft be able to do it?

XP-200 likes this.
  13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    They do. SMS costs next to nothing for businesses.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What if someone sets your number there. Local account w/o MS account. no confirmation...
    Clicker macro on mouse or keyboard... Locked screen, cursor on send sms.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I assume you have to verify your phone number first.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    On local account? You do it on your phone and next thing is registry mod.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I want want the crap on my windows thank you, I dont even connect my phone my pc and it never will be either

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What do you do with your PC, complain about some aspect of it that bugs you instead of using it? I just set up 'Your Phone'. Works fine and saves me from need to grab the phone when a text comes in and I'm at the PC. Why do you hate new features being added?

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

play my games browse the web that is it i dont care about that other stuff, they add this feature and that feature wheather i want it or not, with no way to remove it or turn it off. like the Xbox crap i dont want or need but i cant removoe or get rid of it with breaking things.

If I dont use the feature nor want it, all it doing it wasting space on my PC. my problem comes from the fact they intergrate this stuff in to OS to point EVEN if you dont want it you cant remove it with breaking things

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, more NSA friendly "security" features....

DW75 and Fox2232 like this.