NVIDIA To support VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology, GSYNC Compatible

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    toyo likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Finally. It had to happen. I'm glad for the people running there cards. At least they can get a descent monitor at a good price.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So those monitors won't have GSYNC adapter in them to lower the cost? But will those panels work with AMD Freesync?

"GSYNC Compatible" makes more confusion to me.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    At some point, this had to happen. Honestly, I'm curious to read reviews comparing Fsync monitors running in "Gsync mode" and "native Gsync" at some point and see if there's even a difference.

Maddness likes this.

5. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    They are freesync monitors that will have a driver release to work with Nvidia cards and enable VRR.

Should have grabbed a screenshot so we could list the models that will work.

6. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    This list of compatibility isn't really that important as it's stated in the release that even if you panel hasn't passed certification yet or even failed it previously you will be able to turn it on in the driver settings anyway.

toyo and Maddness like this.
  7. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Pretty simple I think there gsync certified which basically means any panel they have full tested that supports the VESA Standard (ie FreeSync)

Then there's just gsync which is the current crop of standard gsync monitors

Then on top you have gsync ultimate which is the gsync hdr compatible displays we have now.

8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Thanks for that. I missed that part myself.

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Wow, I don't think I've seen the green team this scared in around a decade or so. I mean, this is incredible news for the industry but I'm still quite surprised. Looks like my purchasing of the 2018 Samsung NU8000 series TV with Freesync may have just gotten that much sweeter.

Keitosha likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's the funny part...

VESA Adaptive-Sync monitor being marked as G-Sync compatible without having G-Sync module.
    Those 98% of not listed monitors are as "VESA Adaptive-Sync" enabled as those which got certified by nV.

It is just a way to keep face. To say: "It is still inferior and does not meet our standards."

But in the end, Monitors tell to graphics card that it has Adaptive-Sync functionality and you will flip switch in driver.

Edit: Side note:
    IIRC VESA made Adaptive-Sync from optional to mandatory for some version. Or I at least read it somewhere. So it is not like nVidia have been given much choice.

11. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    I don't get why people care about Adaptive sync on monitors. Nvidia Fast sync or setting the window mode on borderless completely eliminates tearing or stuttering without requiring any specific hardware. can someone explain to me why adaptive sync is needed?

12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It's good news for gamers with those screens and an Nvidia card of whom I'm sure there are quite a few.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Lower input lag?

Neo Cyrus and emperorsfist like this.
  14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    In my case, 65 inch 4k Samsung TV with Freesync and a 1080Ti, this will (among many other useful situations) now allow me to play the Witcher 3 in full 2160p at Ultra settings and have the game under 60FPS but still smooth with zero tearing. Right now I have to run the game in 1620p or 1800p to maintain a locked 60FPS, but after the Jan 15 drivers I "should" be able to play in my Freesync range and get no stutter or chugging from dropping under Vsync limits!
    I'm hoping since my TV is fairly new that it will end up being one of "those screens" whether or not NV anoints it so.

Keitosha and Maddness like this.
  15. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I was just reading some more and even if it fails there testing you can still enable it in the drivers. I probably wouldn't expect any issues to get fixed if it failed the tests though

16. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    Just enable Fast sync in Nvidia control panel or put display mode in the game settings on fullscreen borderless. you won't see any tearing at any frame rate. try it now, it's really simple! you don't need any specific driver or hardware support to get rid of tearing or stuttering.

17. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Thanks AMD. You are the best.

GSDragoon and H83 like this.
  18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Once your FPS drops below your monitor refresh rate, you will see same frame 2 or more times ( called "stutter" ). FastSync is basically VSync that pulls latest processed frame.
    FreeSync or Gsync adjust monitor refresh rate to GPU, so you don't see same frame twice and as GPU done rendering new frame, it will be shown on the panel.

So FreeSync or Gsync shines if you FPS drops below your panel refresh rate, otherwise, it's not that great.
    Advanced users adjust game settings, so they have stable fps above panel refreshrate and cap FPS with software to match refreshrate, without relying on Vsync or other solutions.

GSDragoon likes this.
  19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I don't think it has much to do with them. I'd say it's much more to do with all the gripping over the internet these last few years. All of it warranted mind you.

20. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Nobody ask if frame doubling work when game fps is below VRR range?

Cause in Gsync case, frame doubling/tripling etc is done by the custom Gsync Altera chip in the monitor.
    Meanwhile, in AMD Freesync case, frame doubling is done by the GPU. Technical name is Low Framerate Compensation.