G-Sync and max pre rendered frames set to 1

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by flexinho, Jan 5, 2019.

1. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    I just bought a new G-Sync monitor with 144hz and just want to know if setting max pre rendered frames to 1 in the NVIDIA control panel will still give me advantages?

I know that this setting lets the CPU render frames ahead but will this give me an input lag advantage in CPU heavy games like AC:Odyssey or will this setting set to 1 even put more load on the CPU? I just want to get the optimum out of my monitor.

I use an i7 8700 and a GTX 1060 with the game limited to 50fps to reduce CPU load but even with 60fps or more my CPU isn't at 100% (i think the max was around 80%). The GPU is at 98% when i play at 60fps (or more - it doesn't seem to get to 99% usage like in every other game). Capped to 50fps the GPU isn't that heavy used. All in all i am more GPU bottlenecked than CPU bottlenecked because this CPU is a monster. :cool:

With all that information: Is it smart to put the pre rendered frames to 1? ;)

2. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    What is the Gsync range ? if you are within that range, than enjoy your monitor, no need to fiddle with it. Except, maybe, framecap it below your upper limit for Gsync, that is probably 144Hz/fps, i would cap it to 143 or 142 fps. Above that i would use FastSync coupled with Gsync.

flexinho likes this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    MPRF comes into effect when the GPU is maxed out and as a result you can't reach your FPS cap. The higher MPRF is set to, the higher the input lag will be. With MPRF 3 and the GPU not being able to keep up with the CPU, the CPU will run ahead of the GPU by 3 frames, giving 3 frames of added input lag. With MPRF 1, the CPU will only run ahead of the GPU by 1 frame, so only 1 frame of input lag.

flexinho likes this.
  4. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    From what i know G-Sync doesn't have ranges like FreeSync. It always works from 30 to the maximum hz number of the monitor. If the framerate goes under 30 Low Framerate Compensation will kick in.

I just want to hear some experiences with MPRF set to 1 and set to default, especially in AC:Odyssey. As i said i capped the fps to 50 with the ingame FPS limiter and also activated Vsync in the nvcp.Neither my CPU nor my GPU are always maxed out. My GPU sometimes reaches 98% utilisation. So would it be smart to set MPRF to 1 or should i just leave it at default?

5. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Both G-Sync and Freesync have a sync range. For G-Sync the bottom should always be 30 frames, any lower and LFC will kick in and insert duplicate frames. On freesync the range is determined by the monitor manufacturer and could be possible higher than 30.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I have set it to 1 globally for all games. I've never encountered a game where this causes a perf drop. But that's me. Other people claim they know of games where 1 causes a perf drop. This is easy to test yourself though.

7. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    with MPRF set to 1 ,i've got microstutter new games based unity engine when Fullscreen Exclusive enabled . idk what happened but older titles were fine