Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hmm if it's in red then be careful. If even 1.32v is at auto then it's not that..and best keep it alone.

That CPU is a too high at max 1.55v at auto, if it stays ~1.10v then its ok. Or are you just saying what's the max possible?

Also keep CPU io as it is.

On second thought, maybe go trough power saving features by pcie, anything that is named as aspm or something like that, native power save and pcie power save .. try to disable and test..

And c-states try to disable anything beyond c3.. at windows high performance plan it should run at c0 anyway.. you can double check c-states with real temp monitor (mini desktop monitoring app)

2. defalt

defalt Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080 founders e
    the max possible is 1.55 but i dont know if it ever goes to that , if you can advice me with some voltage to keep them stable that would be better , also maybe my gpu overclocks itself and that affects the game? i will check this pcie thing now

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Guys, you litter the thread with offtopic.

4. defalt

defalt Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080 founders e
    he was just trying to help , sorry.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Because many gurus could just ignore this particular thread you would get help quicker if you`d created your own thread (with "help!" in title).

PS Offtopic is not a crime of course, but annoying a bit.

6. defalt

defalt Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080 founders e
    no
    not really offtopic mate , i am having this problem and its probably coz of windows 10 shitty things and he was just telling me every possible solution
    all gucci anyway

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Pure offtopic because this thread is about one thing - standby list problem in Win10. And you discuss troubles in one specific game, HPET, BIOS settings and voltages. Not a single word from you about standby lists and solutions offered in this thread.

PS I do not bash you - that's not my thread - you can continue to post here, but you lose efficiency of expert community gathered at Guru3d.

PPS And in case you will find the solution practically nobody else could get it because it will be lost in here.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    The above bold is the main thing IMO, any fix others won't find.
    But to be honest, this whole post is in the wrong section really, should be in OS or game tweaks or something as not directly linked to driver
    AMD users might never see it.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The standby memory slowdown issue is pretty well known by this point or at least among more enthusiast communities or users and hopefully Microsoft will improve whatever is really going on with it for the next version or the one after that perhaps, haven't looked into what 19H1 and the insider builds have said on this subject.

I empty it out occasionally via a simple software that just dumps the data though from observation RS5 seems better in how it generally leaves a part of the memory free instead of filling it up completely though the performance slowdown problem is still widely reported. I'm going to have to do a bigger read-up on it once the next Win10 build is out to see what's improved and if it's still problematic.

Perhaps once the current Microsoft CEO steps down the next one can take a different direction with Windows 10 although Microsoft itself is doing incredibly well though the OS itself doesn't seem like it has a clear direction and features are added, swapped, removed or half-implemented from build to build which can't be good long-term trying to have as some constantly shifting ever in development "service" model where it can take more builds before the added features fully stabilize or finalize but what do I know though it seems more chaotic now than ever with the bi-annual builds. :)

And the only way is forward I guess, they rarely backport these things to older but still actively updated and maintained builds so there's a whole new batch of possible new issues and problems though at least in that regard 19H1 is so far pretty positively received though we'll see if it lasts until launch or not.

Well not too much else to say, have to learn more about the feature itself too and not just the performance symptoms and problems that it might have to some degree even with Redstone 5 (Itself having several launch issues isn't exactly helping either.) and beyond now with the upcoming build midway into development and the first and only bug bash coming up.

EDIT: Was it the CEO, well it's not important for this topic. Just something I heard about how he pushing for the current plan and model for Windows 10 and it's development and decisions around it though there's probably more to it.

19H1 should also mitigate the Meltdown and Spectre performance penalty for I/O and particularly high-speed SSD's seeing a impact though outside of benchmarks normal usage scenarios might differ in how much of a impact this is currently causing.

And then this stand by memory and cache functionality for the topic at hand. Well they are aware of it at least but I have not heard much else so far and that also goes for the upcoming build of WIn10 though it might have some improvements but we'll see.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
    "IRQ8Priority"=dword:00000000

What does this do?

Someone @ techpowerup linked this tweak to someone that had stutters at pubg and apparently this fixed it for him.

when I googled I found only this

https://www.tweakhound.com/2011/09/20/bad-tweaks/

https://bravomail.livejournal.com/189431.html

EDIT:

IRQ 0 = clock of your processor
    IRQ 8 = clock of your motherboard

When I opened regedit there is no such value there, so I guess it's at =1 by default?

EDIT2:

here are a bunch of reg tweaks, but Idk if its really safe to tweak those, make a system restore first if you want to test these
    https://www.speedguide.net/forums/s...sion-since-v1709-Windows-Update-updated/page2

&

http://n1kobg.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    ^^ Not a single mention about that IRQ#Priority at Microsoft sites. And not a single way to check the effect.

PS And again, @-Tj- why have you posted that here? Why not create dedicated thread to share finding with all the forum?

12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    @mbk1969 Thread title is misleading. It is kinda generic.

-Tj- likes this.
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Because it can eliminate stutter. And this is what this thread is about. Thought you would have a more comprehensive reply, but ok.

about IRQ
    I saw only this doc from them
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/IRQL_thread.doc

And that cakewalk is a audio forum where latency matters the most, thus also for eliminating any sound stutters and what not.
    Exactly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And OP with more than 20 pages of content in this thread are also a generic?

There can`t be comprehensive reply on pure speculation. I can fake many registry tweaks with such names.

15. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I googled the key and found this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rformance-options-settings?forum=winservergen

I'm not too well versed when it comes to resource allocation/management, but this key appears to be used for process prority management only?

-Tj- likes this.

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No it can't eliminate any stutter. If the game engine is crap, nothing will fix it. The only fix for stutter in some games(Battlefield etc) is the ISLC for standby memory. From my experience, many Windows 10 ''tweaks'' i tested do not offer anything, at all. Removing Apps, removing services etc.

My advice is, leave OS to default settings. Use only High or Ultimate performance plan and run ISLC. Use the latest drivers. Check your HW for stability and you're good to go.

If you still get stuttering, it's the game.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    A sudden thought: standby list problem discussed here can be connected to these two new features of Win10 - page combining (link) and memory compression (link). So any affected gurus can toy with these features.

(PS I disabled both some time ago.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    yobooh and Hemisfear like this.
  18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti

how often does it poll/check for changes, might be it doesn't need to poll os often, is there a config option to set.
    I notice CPU time on this is not bad but it is almost like a monitoring app as far as CPU time (slightly better, )

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nothing to do with it.