Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vejn, Jun 10, 2014.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea ubi went full rpg with the last two ass creeds more jrpg than wrpg, funnily enough something i argue bethesda should give a try since they want to anyway, just hire some top notch writers if you go that route.

2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    You know what, i had 7$ to spend and bought the game lol. Watched this video from @lucidus last night and convinced me to give it another shot.
    For 7$ i can hardly be disappointed lol.

Also i did remember the maps were looking nice so...

3. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The world looks really beautiful, but it's just an empty sandbox. For 10€ it's probably worth it, for the combat alone, but the story is boring and predictable and characters are complete retards as they often behave irrationally. They have zero charisma and there are plenty of awkward dialogues with them, that lead to nothing. Dialogues in itself have a conversation wheel, but it only creates an illusion of choice as most of the answers are completely different than what you thought they would be and they also lead to similar conclusions. Ultimately none of your choices really matter even inside the quest itself, let alone in the game. As many have said, AC is probably a better game than this, but if you really have this sci-fi urge and don't mind supporting the terrible practices of EA, then you wouldn't regret spending 10€ they're asking.

XenthorX, cerebus23 and Solfaur like this.
  4. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    Andromeda on trailers \ E3 before it came out looked good to me. was very happy
    with what i saw before it came out. even the first 1-2 hours on my first run were ok..
    until i realized its empty, no heart\soul, uninteresting, and idiotic written game.

looking back at it - i wouldn't pay 1$ to play it, as a Mass Effect game.

and since i payed a full price back than, every future BioWare\EA game is on my black list, sale list, "reading 50,000 reviews before
    i touch it list" - you name it.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That`s my policy about all new games now. And do not touch new (purchased) game for 3-4 months.

BangTail likes this.
  6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Not to mention the fact that you will pay a fraction of the launch cost if you wait a bit.

mbk1969 likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Exactly.

8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I wish companies released demos like in years gone past. I was very happy to see a demo of Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I finally played this. It's worse than I thought. The character models are amateurish, yes. But what's much worse is the voice acting and the lines. The vibe and atmosphere of this game has nothing to do with serious sci-fi. It's a combination of Power Rangers and The Smurfs. No one is taking anything seriously in this game. The dialogue is bland and uninteresting. No epic moments anywhere. Remember the most epic moments of previous ME games? Well, imagine them in Andromeda, but with the characters going "yeah, we'll show them what we can do, whoo hoo hooey, we're the best, yeah, rock on dude!" What in the shi... What? How. Why? WHAT?

What the hell were they thinking? They wanted to make this game complete trash, it didn't just happen. They really tried their best to ruin it. This can't be an accident.

emperorsfist likes this.
  10. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    It wasn't. This is what happens when you get a bunch of "average" fans (who were teenagers during ME2&3) to write a fanfiction with a budget, and make a game out of it. The end result is not a clever (or at least interesting) sci-fi, but a game where the characters primarily focus on the (clumsy) romance and "personal problems", act like teenagers (self inserts), or are just copies of existing characters. The main plot is shallow, mostly uninteresting and predictable, the antagonist is just some racist overlord that does overlord things, and at a few moments the game tries to hype the shallow events.

RealNC likes this.
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @emperorsfist

As I was playing this and listening to the dialogue, I couldn't help but constantly imagine what Shepard would have said instead. Your science officer for example goes on and on about religion, because the game seems to think its writers have the capacity to even remotely touch on "sensitive issues." So she says something like "my belief in Jesus is what keeps me strong" or similar. In this game, you aren't even remotely offered a good reply. You can say "your beliefs are welcome because diversity is a big asset to this crew." I just pictured Shepard going "I hope your stupid invisible unicorn friend in the sky won't be interfering with your duties on this ship. Dismissed, officer," followed by the renegade bar going up.

It seems like the writers were extremely careful to prevent players from having any fun whatsoever.

Solfaur and emperorsfist like this.
  13. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Yeah, it's "fun" to see inept people try to tackle these possibly incendiary topics (which would normally make sense in this sci-fi setting). It always ends well... I remember that ME3 had a similar failure, though. Didn't Ashley sorta come out of nowhere that she's a Christian (beside being possibly trans, iirc). All Shepard could do was ask (the obvious) "Why? All these aliens and the Reaper cycle kinda uproot most of the Bible", and then it was kinda brushed off. It's obvious that even then the writers pussied out (they just offered some generic apologism and that was that). I mean, if you're afraid of possibly offending someone with this, why even bring it up? It's not clever.

Also, the "because diversity is a big asset to this crew." reply is pretty common in this game (more or less telling of the authors). I mean, you can chastise an alien (native to Anromeda) for being distrustful / afraid of you (the real aliens in this game). I found that oddly hilarious, as it showed how the writers have no clue and/or interest to write a compelling sci-fi.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Solfaur and RealNC like this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'm pretty sure this has been posted in this thread before, I feel this pretty much sums up Mass Effect Andromeda.

[​IMG]

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @emperorsfist

I could be able to look past all this, even. Takes some effort, but I can do it. But the final nail in the coffin for this game is just how unlikable the main character is. And his voice actor is just... bad. Not funny bad. Just plain bad. His acting would be 100% spot-on if this was a Coca Cola commercial.

Shepard on the other hand is one of the best main characters I've ever seen in any video game. As bad-ass as you wanted to be, as funny as you wanted to be. I mean, try to compare Andromeda's main character to this:

Oh, that's right. This is probably "toxic masculinity," so that's why Ryder is so offensively bland instead. Sigh.

@KissSh0t

That is effing hilarious :eek:

16. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    @KissSh0t With that derpy face it's even better. Would have been perfect if she had shot herself, like the dumb twit she was...

@RealNC You mentioned something really cool about Shepard in the og ME games. (S)He was "badass" as much as YOU wanted. You could have played a stereotypical good guy, a complete petty jerk (that was what Renegade mostly ended up being XD), or a more down to Earth (hurr hurr) normal guy/gal. I think the male voice fitted this better (Femshep was more popular, and I guess emotional, but sometimes unnecessarily sarcastic), as he just felt "normal" (not a hyped up superhero). I enjoyed a normal, slightly confused, but capable and to the point dunce.

Ryder is just stupid, with the male one looking slightly less mentally challenged (male Ryder looks like a confused, slow-witted puppy simpleton, female Ryder looks like a retard).

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  19. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    I finally finished the game.

Good gameplay but story is pretty procreating generic compared to ME1-3.

ME1-3 are like the Star Wars of video game when it comes to story. Andromeda's story is another generic video game story.

20. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It's because the game developers subscribe to a certain ideology that promotes this nonsense.

Aside from animations, the game was pretty well done in technical sense. The combat was fun and offered variety, some scenery was absolutely beautiful. The problem is the story and dialogues. The choices in the story make no sense at all, as in why would you be put in charge as a random nobody, is it because you are kid of the cool guy who actually knew what he was doing ? Your followers also behave in an unnatural way and in dialogues, all your answers are virtually the same, there is no difference. You can't be mean to people, or behave like retard, lecture them, or anything. The only response you have is "I don't know what I'm doing, but I like diversity so lets be friends".

The overarching story is quite stupid as well, the antagonist is boring and definitely not frightening as their technology is quite comparable to yours. Definitely no ominous threat of overpowered reapers. In fact, it would have been much better if they put reapers as the big enemy who the arriving people know nothing about.