Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rl66, Dec 19, 2018.

1. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I was getting this on and off with the 18.12.2s as well. Seems to have stopped though. Had to revert to this driver because of the Zero RPM issue with the .3s.

2. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

In the quoted message?
    Really?
    Known Issues
    • Some systems running multiple displays may experience mouse lag when at least one display is enabled but powered off.
    • Uninstalling Radeon Software may fail to remove Radeon Settings.
    • Zero RPM may fail to enable/disable correctly when switching between manual and automatic fan controls.
    • Upgrade Advisor may intermittently fail to detect games and provide compatibility recommendations.
    • A port 58888 already in use error message may be observed when AMD Link Server was disabled while an IOS device client was connected.
    • Radeon Overlay’s new in overlay video player may experience smoothness issues while adjusting the playback slider.
    • Scene Editor may have issues with scrolling when many elements are added to a scene.
    • Custom settings in Radeon WattMan may sometimes fail to apply on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products
    Your comprehension problems might just be at the centre of most issues in your life.

It's clearly your PSU or HDMI cable that's the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2018
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Any word on that Zero RPM bug? Also I just got it by hitting the "reset" button without even touching it.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    General behavior of 18.12 drivers is bad. Voltages in vBIOS are practically ignored even with wattman disabled.
    One has to switch wattman voltages from automatic to manual and set there same as in vBIOS. But that lasts only till restart as then manual voltages which are still enabled get ignored. So one has to switch to automatic, apply, back to manual and apply again. Or use OverdriveNTool aster every restart.

As for Fan speed, it did stop working in linear fashion with 18.12.2/3, it now works in those huge steps, pretty annoying. But I messed up with buttons in Afterburner and wattman and some unknown combination made Afterburner control to work and persist even reboot.

AMD has quite some work to be done in wattman again. But I wonder what broke it in 1st place. Maybe updates for Navi.

Jackalito and RzrTrek like this.
  6. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I use a Gigabyte z97 motherboard too and occasionally hdmi/displayport audio is distorted and screen goes green/black. The issue happens regardless of the driver version (including 18.12.3). I opened a separate thread about this and I received no replies, but luckily I came across your post. I changed the PCIe Slot Configuration from Auto to Gen2 in the BIOS. Will it fix the issue?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Hmm, You can try Save/Load (this manual settings)
    Try and report.

8. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Hi. Yes, that will fix it (unless you have a bad hdmi cable)

I opened many tickets on gigabyte web, but they wont help.

They always says they cannot reproduce the problem.

Obviously pcie bus is going out of sync. Who knows why. Maybe ram, maybe base clock. Dont know. Gigabyte doesnt care. And it affects the entire gigabyte line from z77 to z97 at least.

Also obviously it wont happen to everyone. Some requirements should be present to make the problem appear. But no one knows what triggers this.

Im using two hdmi to tv's. Ddr3 at 2400mhz.

Other stuff is pretty much stock.

They somehow know about this problem, cause with bios updates, I cant reproduce the bug on nvidia anymore. But on amd is still there.

On z77 were much worst. On cold boot you sometimes got half the gpu fps and only a restart will fix it. There are some forums talking about this. But there are only a few people with this problem. Or they didnt notice it.

And since z77, the only real solution is setting pcie gen to 2 on bios.

I just keep buying gigabyte boards cause they leave you set fan speed with a 0 to 100C scale.
    Asus limit this to 75C.

And for a HTPC this is a deal breaker.

I have to find which other manufacturers offer this. So i can get out of gigabyte for good.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I am not that concerned about fps, but assuming we are talking about the same thing, the sound issue (either with hdmi or displayport cables) is annoying, as well as the screen going green or switching off and on randomly. At the beginning I though it was the monitor, but it works fine with other devices, so the issue must be related to the graphics card or the motherboard. And obviously it's not the cables. I did not have the issue since yesterday that I changed the bios setting, but I can't be sure yet that it's fixed.

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Any news about proper AMD drivers? Many bugs I hear around. Personally, it is OK for my system, no complains at all. Only that update driver bug to 18.12.2 annoys me. Time is ripe for the release of 19.1.1. Move on AMD, do something correctly.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    @Fox2232 i mean it works just fine for the games I play (ACC, BNG, Dusk & PoE) and they don't crash when only installing the display driver. Also noticed that 99% of bugs are related to Radeon Settings.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those Fan/Voltage bugs I mentioned are actually not caused by radeon settings. At least not directly. Radeon Settings is component responsible for loading settings and applying them. (Which it fails to do after every restart.)

But it is not actually cause of issue. I already tried full uninstall and then even DDU to have everything gone and install only driver... Hoping that values in vBIOS will be used as I have all changes there.
    No, did not work. Driver by default still ignores values in vBIOS and has to be told manually. This means that issue is closer to metal, but still in software.

And as you wrote, games work just fine, Nothing is breaking them. But leaving drivers to handle voltage results in card hitting power limit which I already upped a lot. Setting 1.125V delivers lovely low power consumption and higher fps.

RzrTrek likes this.
  13. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Hi, then pretty sure is that.

Dont remember very well the graphics problem. I think I even got like pixel rain onscreen, like when you have a bad hdmi cable. Changed many cables, all with the same problem. The distorted sound was crazy. Even on spotify or windows sounds.

Weird thing is that sometimes you can start the pc without this problem. And will appear later. So im sure the pcie bus goes crazy.

Then I had a deja vu and remembered the bug on older gigabyte platforms. Changed to pcie gen 2 and thats it.

Sometimes I change back to gen 3 or auto and the problem appear inmediatelly or after a few minutes.

14. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    What do I loose by setting PCIe Slot Configuration to Gen2? The graphics card is PCIe x16 Gen3, but uses x8.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt that a low voltage to be running such a high clocks?

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    My RX-580 is rather new. Therefore many newer GPUs may have improved quality through manufacturing.

(I can't say if there is actual 12nm RX-590 and what happens with GPUs not meeting requirements for it...)
    Oh, I think I actually can. RX-590 uses same 232mm^2 die as 580/570. Best ones end up being 590, rest 580/570.

17. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    On performance you wont loose anything. For 1 card pcie gen 2 x16 is fine.

If you want to crossfire or use future cards with more graphics power, it could be a problem.

Or if a newer card has a pcie 3.0 requirement, you will have to change your entire platform.

So, if you can, open tickets on gigabyte support. And if you send them some videos showing the problem, it will be even better. Also send them links to forums discussing this.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  18. Stephen Banner

Stephen Banner Guest

GPU:
    RX 580
    Duly installed. The only gripe I have is that after trying all suggested fixes, the only one matter I have not got resolved is the check for updates will not work and shows 'unable to connect with the AMD server' even though trying various suggested methods to overcome this, I hoped this edition would eliminate this problem. Any had issues but got to work in a particular method?

19. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Based on previous correspondence, I don't expect help from Gigabyte Support. I very much doubt that the will investigate a problem for an "old" motherboard they stopped producing and for which they stopped releasing bios updates. GPU-Z reports that Bus Interface is PCIe x8 3.0 @ x8 1.1 and PCIe x8 3.0 @ x8 2.0 when running the Render Test. Is this normal?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  20. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    I think it should show x16 2.0. Not sure about this. Did you use the pcie connector near the cpu? The other ones are x8 I think.

Will check later.

Here is the response from gigabyte

So, run from this platform before it will have real limitations. They wont fix the problem. You are locked at pci-e 2.0 x8 or 2.0 x16 at best (like sandy bridge). Crossfire and anything beyond vega will probably suffer performance drop.