NVIDIA Titan V Raytraces Battelfield V in RTX mode at proper perf (but does not have any RT cores).

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    toyo, warlord and pharma like this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    "However, the findings raise the question, are dedicated RT in hardware cores actually needed?"
    That's not the question I would and do ask.

I do ask: "Are there actually dedicated RT in RTX cards?"

I did ask this before, but it does not hurt to repeat question: "Is anyone who knows details of DX-R able to say what kind of mathematical instructions are required by DX-R?"
    Because if it is something like FP16, then Titan V is twice as fast as 1080Ti and still bit faster than RTX 2080Ti.

It should be known that DX-R is part of Microsofts DX12, therefore instructions should not be proprietary.
    Some nV guys here with BF V willing to trick game into thinking that you have RTX card?

3. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    I wonder if it'l work for an AMD card o_O...

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I knew it, I f-ing knew it that something like this will possible. Now let's see how quickly Nvidia release new "hotfix" drivers that block all possible RTX hacks on Pascal GPUs :D

5. Akumu

Akumu Guest

GPU:
    4000mhz 16gb g.skill
    Very interesting.

6. MK80

MK80 Active Member

GPU:
    RX7900xtx
    How did they do if the game refuses to connect RTX out of rtx2000 graphics? It has already been tried by UFD Tech and they could not get it even using a 2080 ti to start the game and then move on to another graphics card. For me it's fake ..

7. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Raytracing has already been working on AMD cards for quite a while. GCN has a ton of cumpute power to handle raytracing.

https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/radeon-rays/

Dubbed Radeon Rays, the company’s ray tracing developer suite will now support real-time ray tracing in Radeon Rays 2.0. The new engine is compatible with OpenCL 1.2. Built on Vulkan, Radeon Rays 2.0 leverages the API’s advanced support for asynchronous compute to make real-time ray tracing a reality.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. Great White Shark

Great White Shark Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Jetstream
    I really do think that Nvidia have released the RTX cards really badly. Too expensive, not enough Ray Tracing support. I'm hoping the new 7 nanometer cards will drive the prices down for RTX. But it won't be soon.

BReal85 likes this.
  9. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    And the question raises: why? They have all the money to release a more powerful card, or they can simply releasea 700-900 like generation leap with a decrease in price like it was in that case.

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The number of rays they advertise is an order of magnitude lower then NVIDIAs however, which makes the real difference between real-time gaming use, or "just" using it in 3D graphics design and rendering.

Doing Ray Tracing itself isn't "new", doing it really fast is what was missing.

yasamoka likes this.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    if i had to take a wild guess why they did that ... my speculation is that the gpu is a huge monolithic die i really really doubt their yields on 100% functional ones are the best around , so what ever is not good enough to make it as a quadro it trickles down to the gaming gpus instead of throwing em away.

12. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    doesn't matter how fast your system would render rays, the option is locked out for all other cards in BF V for a reason or not we do not know !?

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's not way to do it. Did they not learn a thing about graphical drivers? That's why you can't use modern drivers on ancient graphics card. There are no code paths for given architectures.

Way to go is to persuade driver that your GTX card is actually RTX card. One of ways is just change HW ID in driver's inf file for installation. Other way is to change HW ID in vBIOS.
    I did that few times in past. Especially with Fury X release as performance was not exactly as expected. And making driver believe that it is different card yielded different performance results.

When Polaris launched and there were some new features, I just changed HW IDs in vBIOS and had some mixed results.

To put it simply:
    HW <-> Driver <-> Windows Libraries <-> Game

Driver takes HW an exposes its abilities to windows libraries, in this case to Direct3D. That reports supported features to game.
    This is done per device, therefore having 2 different cards will result in 2 different sets of features exposed.

Hack can be done on multiple places. Easiest is to trick driver. Bit more risky is vBIOS mod. And most reliable is actually creating wrapper library between game and Direct3D libraries.
    Those will report whatever they (you) want to game and then do whatever they (you) want with instructions returned by game.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Duke Nil and cookieboyeli like this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    I was wondering about this fact.

While playing shadow of tomb raider also....notice the reflections (with my 1070Ti)...
    Is that software or hardware really?

15. claydough

claydough Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 1080fe
    is this not expected? Wasn't NVIDIA’s RTX technology originally developed...
    powered on Volta GPUs? ( I imagine an RT core SM was originally tweaked on Volta SM accelerated in tandem with Nvidia's software component to real time ray tracing? )
    With 8 years of development wouldn't Volta benefit from the final version of Nvidia's RTX software technology?
    Kind of wondering how the original Nvidia Raytracing Demos that ran on Volta ( like the Starwar's "Reflections" demo ) might run today as the software has probably matured alot since release?

Quote : "
    The demonstration is powered by NVIDIA’s "RTX technology for Volta GPUs", available via Microsoft’s DirectX Ray Tracing API (DXR)...
    "

So I imagine RTX is then supported for Volta as well???

( or hopefully the RTX component used to develop the tech leveraging Volta hardware is not abandoned )

Aura89 and FranciscoCL like this.

16. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Turing has the same relative transistor density to Pascal, which suggests that whatever dedicated RT logic is there in Turing it's rather simple ad-hoc solution to the existing compute resources. The rest of the architectural changes are way more significant than RTX.
    Ray-tracing is also very demanding on the memory sub-system and I can only guess HBM2 used for Volta is a major contributor to the RTX performance numbers, along with the large internal caches and registers.
    In the case for Battlefield V, ray-traced reflections require a lot more work from the graphics pipeline, since each reflection is actually rendered "projection", accumulated along the ray-path. The ray traversal alone is not that much costly (memory latency sensitive), particularly at single sample per pixel and utilized for one effect only.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Volta was originally intended to run ray tracing, wasn't it?

18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    DXR in BF:V was initially developed using Titan V's before the 2080Ti's were available to DICE so not really that surprising.

19. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Do you mean BF:V would actually only be software supported for ray tracing, and not using the RT cores physically ? We would not have really seen the true power of the RTX architecture (2019 wishful thinking...) ?

20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Nvidia guy seems had a reason, to put his signature in Titan V JHH CEO Edition. It is still the top dog for every single one application out there. You can't say the same for Titan RTX. One more reason to drag Nvidia to court. Titan RTX should never have beed released for that price. What a scam!