GeForce RTX 2060 will be unveiled for $350 on 7 January

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 30, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    am i reading that right ? it looks equal to the 1070ti in terms of performance

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Prices and availability as expected.

Also, the usual delusional thinking that an xx60 will match an xx70/ti from the previous generation.

A smaller process allows for higher clocks, but it doesn't make up for the lower number of texture mapping units, vertex/geometry units, lesser memory bandwidth etc.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would wait for the HH review to see that. You know how messy are this first official benchmarks.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im talking in framerate numbers, which that chart show it equal to the 1070ti, some times the 1070ti is better sometimes the 2060 is better, but that chart show the marjoity of test so framerates that equal to that of a 1070ti seeing most are with in 5-10 FPS so there is no delusion, less you trying to imply the graph is wrong.

I plan to none the less i curious, I still dont think the 350 as base price is right of nvidia,

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I still think its not as fast as a 70ti, smoke and mirrorss I tell you.
    if it was it would be 425 so it barely beats a 1070 or is it just me that would think that?
    same thing in other lines this year so I dought they would change now.
    having the rtx cores on this card will sell more rtx cards down the line,if dx12 is any indication then by 2025 there will be 10-20 games.

I am sure navi will be overpriced as the vega's were at best 1080ti performance and power use for about the same price?
    don't even want to get started thinking about that yet

-Tj- likes this.
  6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    we cant say its right either
    slowest 1070/ti they could find is just one thing I can think of to manipulate a chart. driver can go either way later thuo in a week we will know or I mean after Hilbert tests some cards.

BlackZero likes this.
  7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you. Just got posted at the same time.

The graphs are probably not wrong, just get taken out of context.

That's a 1080p card, and will do great due to the higher clocks, but the xx70/ti are aimed at higher resolutions and higher settings.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    At stock clocks maybe,but once you OC that 980Ti, no chance it will win with 100% success. OC'ed 980TI almost trades blows with 1080GTX and is on par with OC'ed 1070TI.

That said 2060rtx is ok if those leaks are true, price not so much..

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    As much as i love Nvidia, they became the new Intel with their pricing.

Sadly there isn't anything else in GPU world.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    And if you overclock the GTX 1080?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You'll have to overclock that 980ti to like 1550mhz to reach a stock 1070ti.

Stock 980ti is more or less similiar to 1070 with less vram.

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

The graphs show the same for the 1080, I suppose you believe that too.

13. Slammy

Slammy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7800GTX
    LOL at you guys thinking AMD has something. Vega was hyped to the moon and back and it was pretty underwhelming. Im not expecting AMD to have anything at all, especially with all their top people leaving to go to Intel. In my opinion, AMD is out of the game, going to be up to Intel to smack Nvidia around now.

I have not owned a console since the original PS but with these stupid high prices, i will have to consider going console again at some point. They are effectively killing PC gaming when people cant afford the GPU to play the games, its nuts!

stormy likes this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What's the point of bringing Fury X and 980 Ti into 20x0 discussion? Fury X is 3 generations behind Navi.

As for that RX 590, they clock 1560~1600MHz on core by default. If you can pair it with good 2500MHz memory, it will outperform Fury X in any game.

I would say that if anyone considers buying 980Ti or 2060, 980Ti is winner. Because you are not going to get new 980Ti, it will be 2nd hand and therefore quite cheaper. RTX tax sux. Are people to play raytraced games on 720p? Basically paying for only 1/2 of usable features. And being 1st adopters of game technologies which they'll "enjoy" in maybe 4 games in time they will keep given RTX card. (Yes, it is not like people will buy all those very different games just because they have new features. They will buy games based on genre and mechanics.)

RTX is not won lottery for nVidia, it is just attempt to create technological lock-in. Same as they did before multiple times. If anything, I see it as fool's game. Yes, there are some interesting technologies involved.
    But situation is not that different from AMD's 1st VLIW4. (And practically last.) That step forward meant 2 steps back for any code which required full VLIW5. (Resulted in reduced performance in older games.)
    Any part of RTX GPU which is separated from SM eating from transistor space is actually dead space for any existing application. (Loss of efficiency as that could have been more SMs and therefore higher performance for existing content.)

Only time will tell if RTX will be as lasting as VLIW4. But nVidia is not in any pain, RTX sells well. That will be pain gamers will feel instead.

But 2060 will be interesting GPU. People are not exactly feeling RTX power from 2070. That's why I want to see 2060 as it becomes new baseline. Is baseline becoming "GeForce Cinematic Experience"?

RzrTrek likes this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    To reach 1080 or surpass yes. 1.4ghz 980ti = 1070ti.
    We are not talking about 1080.

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    That's the first time I've heard anyone refer to RTX as a "tax" and for once I agree with you.

Fox2232 likes this.
  17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I'll reserve my judgement of what AMD has for later. That's in ~10 day's time. I guess, you could not hold your "LOL".

As for intel smacking nV... You can't wait 10 days to know more about Navi, yet you already know about intel's GPU which is not going to be in your system for long time? Maybe never.

And then that console, I guess you have actually faith in Navi as that's what that console is likely going to use. You wrote lovely 6 sentences and made 3 mental contradictions at same time. Good job, that's rare.

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Looks like a very interesting product at 350$.
    Same performance as 1070-Ti while being 150-200$ less expensive, yet adding a bunch of new tech, sounds cool!

Reading some of previous answers in this thread can be quite depressing with people trying to find every way possible to fit their 'nvidia evil company' narrative.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I donĀ“t think people are talking about Nvidia being evil, they are talking about Nvidia becoming too expensive...

XenthorX likes this.
  20. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    All I can say is: HAHAHA. +100$ compared to the previous gen 60 series. Which may be around +150$ in real life circumstances.

There is a $500 2070 with 1080ish performance (some % faster). Is it reasonable to release a 350$ card with near 1070Ti performance, which is ~10% faster?

People won't be buying RTX 2060 just as the 2070, 2080 or 2080Ti. This generation is a complete failure in terms of price/performance (maybe the worst of any GPU generations) and introduction of a new technology (RT).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018