MSI Afterburner v4.6.0 beta 10 (Pascal Support, Extended Sliders, more..)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by UZ7, Dec 26, 2018.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    OC Scanner put me on 120 while my Manual was at 135.

I'd say it's doing a pretty good job.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The main advantage is that clock limit varies for each voltage step. And you may achieve better performance by tuning multiple offsets independently. That's exact reason why default VF curve is not a linear dependence between frequency and voltage.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  3. Unwinder

NV updated OC scanner binaries and we'll update AB distributive with new NV scanner API components soon, the changes are not documented but I hope that possibly it will address your issue. Other than that, I don't know how to help you, sorry.

EDIT:

When developing the scanner I remember that NVIDIA were storing their own scan log in c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\Scanner. Not sure if logging is still in use in the latest version of their API, but try to peek in this folder to see if something useful is logged there.

4. Mars73

Mars73 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080Ti
    Here as well. Did the Scan and Test and got a +78 on the core with a 90% score and though hmm okay not sure if thats going to work as I only got it stable at +40.
    Started a game (in my case Elder Scrolls Online) and it froze at choosing chars. Back at +40 and it's stable again.
    So I guess you have to turn it back a few notches, even though it says 90% confidence.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks for this

Using on a 1080ti FE fitted with Accelero Xtreme III cooler.

Unfortunately I get a complete system freeze on either stage 3 or 4 so the test doesnt complete without a crash. Tried 4 times.
    After rebooting when I run the scanner again it reports "Failed to start scanning!"
    Clicking scan again says it is resuming. It may crash again and it will go through the same process until it says for example
    "18:17:42 Scan succeeded, average overclock is 81MHz
    18:17:42 Dominant limiters
    18:17:42 Power
    18:17:42 Overclocked curve exported to MSI Afterburner"

But the settings/curve in Afterburner remain unchanged.
    I'm not sure how to get the results of the testing.

Also once the above Scan Succeeded message appears, the scanner thinks it is still doing something yet my CPU and GPU are idle.
    Clicking stop returns this "Stop scanning, please wait a bit"
    But it isnt doing anything and doesnt return back to its normal idle state. ie the scan button doesnt appear and the application cannot be closed. "Application cannot be closed while the test is in progress!"
    Waited 35mins so far. The window cannot be minimised.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    xcr89 likes this.
  6. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    for me too but strangelly i notice better performance with the ones oc scanner does, at least in benchmarks.

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    So you're only increasing the core frequency by 6Mhz on your first try, and then by 10Mhz on the 2nd try - these small increases don't actually increase the core frequency - the core frequency operates in steps of 13Mhz, so you have to increase core frequency by a minimum of 13Mhz in order for it to actually change the core frequency at all.

I don't think you'll damage your card by OC'ing it, you don't have to worry about that, especially if you leave the voltage slider alone, and instead max out your core & VRAM to max stable frequencies, then you're fine.

8. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Biggest jump is at bottom , default voltage.

Updated version .

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Robbo9999 likes this.
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Also I am using the Skip Ahead version of Win 10 so..who knows? The scanner log shows

OC Initialized
    KValueIterator initialize()
    ScanTimer initialize
    ScanDataSaver initializing
    Recording card capabilities.
    Memory offset falls out of range of acceptable values
    NVAPI ERROR, Error code: -104
    NVAPI ERROR message: NVAPI_NOT_SUPPORTED
    Shutting down scanner.
    RESET

This is after using DDU and doing a standard driver install minus GeFarce and the 3D components. I did not do a custom install or modify the driver just for clarity.

10. Kraust

Kraust Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Installed this version from beta 9 and things started getting really unstable with my 2070 the moment I overclocked. Either going back or not touching this version outside of using the OSD (main reason I use Afterburner anyways).

11. xcr89

xcr89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 Ti FE
    I can confirm this i have a Gigabyte 1080 TI founders edition, the exact same happends to me at stage 3, 4. The system locks up and i aswell waited for 40 min, nothing happends and the graphics card continue spinning at the same rpm due to being stuck in this freeze state. Only way is to press reset button on the pc. Is there any fix for the 1080 ti founders edition cards?

HARDRESET likes this.
  12. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Try EVGA X1 new version out.

13. Unwinder

Doubt that it is insider OS version related, more likely driver version related. Scanner is clearly saying in the log that they try to invoke some internal NVAPI function, which is not supported by your NVIDIA driver version. GTX scanner implementation was added to NVIDIA drivers recently, so most recent NVIDIA driver is required.

Also the following part of NVIDIA log seems fishy for me. What is your memory overclocking, which scanner sees as too high and beyond the valid range?

14. Unwinder

Did you try to set that +78 manually after running the scanner?

15. Unwinder

You're understanding it wrong way. It is not a question of "fix" required for "1080 ti founders edition cards" or any other specific GPU family. That's a question of unique overclocking capabilities of each GPU. Also, NVIDIA scanner is a proprietary NVIDIA technology and testing is performed by their own internal component, so any kind of improvements (it is possible and your GPU is physically overclockable) can be expected from updated NVIDIA driver or NVIDA scanner binaries ONLY. Asking for a fix from MSI AB side is pointless, sorry. The same applies to @Mufflore.

16. Unwinder

Try to read the previous page. You're confusing average overclocking reported by scanner with variable point offsets and maximum offset. I've commented it a few times and it is being asked over and over again.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm not sure what you mean. I'm using the latest Nvidia driver, 417.35 and did a full DDU clean and performed a standard driver install minus Geforce and the 3D components. Nothings is altered with the Nvidia installer. When I ran the test, all GPU settings were at default, no GPU or memory offset, completely stock. (yes I know GPU-Z is show a memory over clock *now) Another weird thing that might be related is GPU-Z has always reported my memory bandwidth as being double what it actually is and curiously, the error is 'Memory offset falls out of range of acceptable values' . So who knows. I wouldn't spend any time on it, it is not caused by Afterburner. It might be a one off thing.
    [​IMG]

18. xcr89

xcr89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 Ti FE
    Thanks!

i had some problem with the new version "EVGA X1" it dropped all my speeds literally underclocked the graphic card, didnt respond on scan like a couple times until i manually cancelled it when nothing was happening then suddenly it started working, but it worked it's way up from a underclocked state i ran it a second time i got same curve. My 1080ti founders edition is sitting steady at idle 1544mhz GPU, little workload it jumps a little higher etc and at full load steady 1924-1949mhz GPU and 1050mV, my temps havent passed 75 °C yet and i have ultra graphics in overwatch for example no stutter, butter smooth and sitting at 1924-1949 1050mV steady all the time without drops. I think i even saw at one point going to like 1960 something but oh man this scanner feature seriously seem to be really good at doing it's job atleast for a newbie like me.

Imagine putting a better cpu cooler on this my temps would probably drop even further i dont know if this would help the oc scanner in some way.

I havent ran any stresstest obviously yet i will do later when i have time.

scan: score +146 passed
    test: score 90

Here is a image of what values where tested etc and what temps where reached during it, to bad it doesnt record the mV, powerdraw at different points.

[img=http://m.uploadedit.com/bbtc/1546081323230.gif]

HARDRESET likes this.
  19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I just tried the OC Scanner of EVGA X1 vs the OC Scanner of MSI Afterburner on my GTX 1070. I got pretty much the same results on both in terms of effect on the V/F curve, both gave about +62Mhz at the lower voltage ranges and +33Mhz at the high voltage ranges. My stable max manual overclock is a straight +100Mhz across the whole curve, and during gaming the GPU is always in the upper voltage ranges (1.05V), so the automated scanner is 'only' giving me about 30% of my max stable overclock offset - in terms of real world frequencies during gaming this is 1987Mhz vs 2050Mhz.

HARDRESET likes this.
  20. Unwinder

Seriously, what's a point in bringing this discussion here again if I've already commented your post with exactly the same wrong claim in TPU forum in details just a few days before?
    Those who claim that MSI AB is giving you better OC scanning than the rest tools are wrong and misunderstanding the basics. Those who claim that EPX1 is giving you better OC scanning than the rest tools are wrong and misunderstanding the basics. Those who claim that ASUS GPU Tweak is giving you better OC scanning than the rest tools are wrong and misunderstanding the basics. NVIDIA scanner is not a third party software technology, it is core NVIDIA API. In any case overclocking tool is just a GUI frontend for it, representing different GUI ways of pressing "Scan" or "Test" buttons and different ways of showing you OC scanner's final report. In ANY case stress-testing is done by NVIDIA's proprietary gpu_stressor application. No need to continue it please, I'd better spend New Year time with my family instead of commenting those endless false claims related to product. Thanks. No more this topic in this thread please, further discussions will be removed.